Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old April 4th, 2015, 02:49 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: Kinseth's Customs - Gnoll Faction the works.

Perhaps it was not a helpful suggestion on my part, @kevindola . I can identify with Kinseth here. It's more fun to test and submit your own creation than to test and submit someone else's. I know that's part of why I've never submitted any of Scytale's units; or any other creator's units. When I compare Kinseth's rough drafts here with Scytale's finished drafts there it seems more efficient to me to just test and submit Scytale's. But if Kinseth's goal is "get Kinseth units into SoV" then submitting Scytale's units is not productive. And I don't mean that in a negative way at all. If anything, I envy how Kinseth has been able to put so much time and effort into his own units. I had a goal last year to submit two cards but submitted none.

--

On topic. Instead of Flanking, why not a more limited Zettian Targeting?

+1 attack dice if at least one other Gnoll attacked the defending figure this turn.

Call it Pack Instincts or Pack Hunting or Pack Attack or something.

--

So, as I understand it, they're basically a 4-man bonding squad... unless that specific hero is dead or not drafted with them, in which case they're a 3-man squad.

I must admit, if you want to stick with that direction, obfuscatedhippo's idea is worth considering. It opens up the possibility of less canned builds featuring alternate Gnoll chieftains in the (probably distant) future.

That said, it seems like it should be one or the other. Either they bond with the Chieftain and that represents his activation-related leadership power, or they don't have bonding but the chieftain helps them to organize and get a 4th activation of one of their own.

--

I really like Overwhelm. That's a cool power. I think the subtraction most be only on the second attack, unless you rework the power so that he can only ever attack the same figure twice. FWIW, I do think that might be more fitting, in the vein of them working together to focus on a single prey.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 4th, 2015, 01:30 PM
2-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Warband Leadership - In early design stages, I had this on the actual Squad. As long as you control a Gnoll Hero you can move and attack with one extra Gnoll Squad member. As the army has evolved, I really like the gameplay challenges that having the Warband Leadership on the War Chieftain instead. Do you want to get your heavy hitting hero into battle soon and risk that he goes down early and the warband isn't operating at full capacity? I try to give play choices in units I design. I think the more choices there are to be made in the game, the more often skill will shine through over luck. I would like the skill factor of piloting the Warband to be higher than most Bonding Hero Squad armies.

Obviously I don't want to overwhelm someone with too many choices to make, there is a fine line. Right now in the current iteration it maybe feels too busy.

Flanking
X Order Marker on Archer
War Chiefs Double Attack
Frenzy Aura on Shaman

I do like the idea of Scytales Pack Attack and the idea of Zettian Guard +1 kind of attack. I will test both and compare them to flanking. The thing that is annoying about flanking, is how often you have to remind your opponent that the figure needs to roll 1 less defense dice.

Overwhelm Attack does actually give you several game play options, that you do not see on paper. If engaged with a Hero and a opponents squad member, you have to choose if you are going to finish off a squad and then allow one of your squad members into the fray next to Warchief, or do you go for the kill and try to finish off an opposing hero with 2 attacks. I think these kind of decisions are fun, and are what can set this army apart from other typical bonding squads.

I think at face value, when you look at the Warband you have to multiply their cost to equal a 4 unit bonding squads for points purposes.

Right now at a placeholder of 50, that is equal to being a 66.6 4 unit bonding squad.

How much of the cost does the Warchief suck up in allowing them to be a 4 man squad? How much is put into the cost of the warband. These are questions I am trying to decide as I price these out.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:13 AM

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Some Design thoughts of where I am right now.

Warband - Leaning towards using Pack Attack(@scytale) over Flanking. Just feels more thematic for me. The Bloodthirstiness of it when they have their prey cornered. I am still considering the boost to 4 def and raising the price of them some.

Warchief - Feel pretty good about him, debating if the extra power to activate one more of the squad member should be on him or on Warband. It feels more Awe inspiring that the Chief is there to direct and force his men into action. In a Alpha Male society that I envision Gnolls to be, it feels right that only the Alpha would beable to make this happen.

Shaman - Removing the Frenzy ability, working on several other abilities. Would love suggestions if anyone has them.

Old May 17th, 2015, 11:22 AM

Opinion on General for the Gnolls? Gnolls worship Yeenoghu.

Yeenoghu is the Demon Prince of Gnolls. His personal weapon is his dreaded triple flail and he commands the obedience of ghouls and ghasts (mainly through his subjugation of the entity known as the King of Ghouls). His worshippers sometimes paint his eye on their weapons and armor so that their patron can see the atrocities they commit in his name.

I am leaning towards going with Valkrill, as Valkrill employs Demons. Makes much more sense than Utgar.

@Scytale @capsocrates @Ixe @Dad_Scaper @obfuscatedhippo @kevindola

Old May 17th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Valkrill could use the faction and matches the theme, but Scytale's Gnolls are already Valkrill so if you wanna be different... It's not like all Valkrill units could just as easily be Utgar anyway IMO.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old May 18th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

As you know, I think gnolls fit well with Valkrill.
Old May 18th, 2015, 11:16 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Valkrill is spot-on for gnolls.
Old May 18th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

That passage looks Valkrill to me.

Who cares if other people made Valkrill gnolls. If it works for you, do it.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old May 19th, 2015, 10:14 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Valkrill.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 20th, 2015, 08:47 PM

Coming down to Crunch time with these guys.

I have "borrowed" several aspects of @Scytale for the Warband Common Squad. I dropped down their movement for the next testing phase. Gnolls are average of 7 feet tall, so I am still on the fence about their move and what is Thematic for them. I liked the Pack Attack, it is useful from time to time. It isn't anywhere near as useful as other Common Bonding Squads powers. They can have that sense of hero killers, but nearly as much as the Dreadgul raiders etc...

Pricing Points
  • Currently 60(might go 55)
  • Drawback is they rely on their War Chief to compete as a 4 man squad
  • Tests the players ability to keep the War Chief alive and still use his potential as an offensive player.
  • Compared to Knights/Dwarves/Heavies they are more per unit(At 55 or 60). Knights/Heavies/Dwarves don't have the worry, only the Heavies have what I think is a more formidable set of Heroes.
  • Warbands Heroes offer Hero punch, while most of the others offer Hero support to boost the squad.

Thoughts? Suggestions on powers?

I am not feeling in a good place right now on the Shaman, still working on her.

Old May 27th, 2015, 10:59 AM

A couple of modifications

-Moving Warband Leadership to the Squad. I think there is some merit to @capsocrates suggestion about the ability to have a different warchief in the future.

-Secondly, going to modify Gruul's Ambush attack to only after taking a turn with Gruul. The ability proved to be way too good in certain situations.

Old May 29th, 2015, 01:42 PM

Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun Just_a_Bill is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Kinseth's Customs - Updated Jan 8th - Ogre Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
TROPHY SKULLS
Each time Ogre Savage destroys a figure while there are 2 or fewer Trophy Markers on this card, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, place a Trophy Marker on this card. After placing a Trophy Marker on this card, Ogre Savage cannot move or attack for the rest of the round.
My first reaction was that it's odd that going on an adrenaline rush makes him stop fighting and stand still for the rest of the round. What if you moved the actual placing of the marker to the end of the round? That would help tell the story of stopping and taking the time to remove, skin, clean, and hang the skull, at which point he gives his victory cry and he's ready to attack again with a permanent +1.

Using the version on the card in the nominations thread as my starting point:
TROPHY SKULLS
Each time Uzog destroys a figure while there are 2 or fewer Trophy Skull Markers on this card, you must roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 10 or higher, Uzog cannot take a turn for the rest of the round. At the end of that round, place a Trophy Skull Marker on this card.
It won't change the gameplay, since he won't be attacking during that time anyway. It just helps with first-read comprehension; I was initially confused because it felt thematically backwards that an adrenaline rush makes him stop.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards