Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old February 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM

kboleen is surprisingly tart
What's the first book you remember owning?

I was reading on Ain't It Cool News this morning about a Where the Wild Things Are movie when I realized that was the first book I remember really owning. Where the Side Walk Ends was another.

What book does everyone else remember owning? Now, I'm 42 years old with no children of my own so my children's books are something I haven't thought of in a long time. And I imagine the younger of the community will remember easier.

"Be of good courage..."
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: What's the first book you remember owning?

Curious George was one of my earliest and best-loved books.
Same with Highlights magazine - Goofus and Gallant, Timbertoes, etc.

Kboleen, one of the joys of parenting and teaching grade school kids for me is to revisit and discover those classics of children's literature.
As well, there is a TON of great stuff published nowadays too.
I could list of dozens of great titles and creative teams of children's lit.
I'm definitely a fan.
Good stuff!
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Re: What's the first book you remember owning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Curious George was one of my earliest and best-loved books.
Same with Highlights magazine - Goofus and Gallant, Timbertoes, etc.

Kboleen, one of the joys of parenting and teaching grade school kids for me is to revisit and discover those classics of children's literature.
As well, there is a TON of great stuff published nowadays too.
I could list of dozens of great titles and creative teams of children's lit.
I'm definitely a fan.
Good stuff!
LOL, I remember Goofus and Galant... nobody wanted to be a Goofus.

"Be of good courage..."
Old February 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
The first one I can remember, other than a ghost book I don't know the name of, would be The Cat in the Hat.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:02 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
The earliest two I remember were a Brer Rabbit book and this book:

Giants of Land, Sea, & Air is such an awesome book. It was filled with illustrations (very lifelike) of huge creatures from the past and present (yes, dinosaurs!) and each page had an average looking man and woman standing (or swimming) next to the creatures. I think the blue whale was an 8 page foldout. I loved loved loved that book. And I NEVER want to see a Giant Squid.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:06 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Not counting children's books, and not counting comics, and not counting books that were bought for me... I recall buying the Tron novelization. Black cover with Bruce Boxleitner on it making Neon fashionable again.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:12 PM
stop starring at my burrito

AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker AmishBurrito knows what's in an order marker
The first book I remember owning was a Goosebumps book in kindergarten. I believe it was the 2nd book in the series called "stay out of the basement" or something.

Please keep signatures short.
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
Oh yeah Curious George was high on the list but, I was just down at my parents the other day looking in their toyroom and found my old favorite.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old February 29th, 2008, 03:15 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Just Only John by Jack Kent (I still own it but it pretty beat up and today is still in my opinion the best children's book ever written)

If anyone ever comes across a copy of it in good condition pick it up and I will buy it from you.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Virginia Lee Burton and Jack Kent - two excellent Children's books artists (and authors), though I'm not familiar with Kent's Just Only John.

My absolute favorite to read to my class and my children is Dandelion by Don Freeman.
I freakin' love this book - acting out Dandelion's emotions and body lanuage is a hoot.
The only interior color being a goldish, light brown highlighting on black and white artwork, but the story just captivates children.

Don Freeman is more known for his Corduroy books, but I don't understand how.
Dandelion is a fine example of excellent storytelling which really presses the idea of just being one's self.

I can discuss children's books for a good long time!
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergeek
Oh yeah Curious George was high on the list but, I was just down at my parents the other day looking in their toyroom and found my old favorite.
Seeing the Katy book reminded me of another book as a child, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel it was about a Steam Shovel that was outdated by new big gasoline powered shovels. The copy I found on Amazon.com is the 60th anniversary edition.

Richard Scary books always thrilled me too. I loved the cross-section of things. I guess that's why I love the Star Wars cross section books now as an adult.

"Be of good courage..."
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kboleen
Seeing the Katy book reminded me of another book as a child, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel it was about a Steam Shovel that was outdated by new big gasoline powered shovels.
Oh yeah, I loved that one too.

Memories

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books