Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old June 24th, 2008, 04:39 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun
The Book of Kato Katsuro

The Book of Kato Katsuro
Defenders of Kinsland - Collection 8 - "Heroes of the Molten Sea"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: The battle rages all around. Metal clangs against metal, harquebus howl in deafening explosions, men cry the agony of their mortal wounds.
Kato Katsuro's heart beats in his eyes. His senses grow painfully sharp. The bright red blood of fallen warriors screams out at him. The smell of sweat and gun powder fills his nose and mouth. This is what he lives for. The action swarming about him is a symphony of his composition.
Suddenly an enemy breaks through Katsuro's elite samurai guard, a note he did not compose. The screaming warrior bears down with his sword. Kato quickly blocks and kicks the man backwards.
A flash burns across Katsuro's peripheral. His heart jumps into his throat. In the split of an instant he feels death falling upon him.
In that same instant the sun blinks out of the sky. The thrumming sound of constant battle goes silent. Everything is suddenly still.
Kato turns his head slowly to his right. A sword hovers, frozen, inches from his face. He steps away from the blade's edge, bewildered as he scans the horizon.
Time itself has come to a halt. Everything, everyone, ever face, perfectly still in the dim light of the overcast sun.
Looking upward Kato Katsuro sees that, unlike everything under it, the sky does not stand still. A swirling tempest of black clouds churns violently above.
At the whirling center of the storm the sky suddenly breaks open and a blindingly bright light streams down, engulfing Kato in its glow.
Out of the break descends a bronze-skinned man with wings like a great hawk.
The man touches a hand to his temple and Kato feels the earth fall out from beneath his feet. He is being pulled upward, but the feeling does not frighten him, instead his heart is filled with an overwhelming peace.
Kato removes hi s helmet and mask, revealing his young and rugged face. He reaches out and takes hold of the winged-man's outstretched hand.
Together they fly upward, into the light, and into another world.
(Hasbro)

(photos courtesy of Truth )
or two squads of Ashigaru Harquebus, rather than one of each?
No. A turn with the Ashigaru on Kato Katsuro's Order Marker must consist either of
a turn with one of each squad OR a turn with only one of the two. (Hasbro FAQ)

- KATO KATSURO'S COMMAND : Adjusting Figures Before Activation
Before taking a turn on Kato Katsuro's Order Marker, may I reposition figures
so that they are within line of sight of Kato, and then take a turn with them?
Yes. Hasbro's Advanced FAQ article states that on a player's turn, s/he may adjust
the positions of friendly figures. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
- N/A
Synergy Benefits Offered
KATO KATSURO'S COMMAND : Samurai and Ashigaru Units
Any Samurai or Ashigaru units may benefit from Kato Katsuro's,
KATO KATSURO'S COMMAND activation synergy.

* Ashigaru Harquebus
* Ashigaru Yari
* Hatamoto Taro
* Izumi Samurai
* Kaemon Awa
* Kozuke Samurai
* Tagawa Samurai
* Tagawa Samurai Archers
- SACRED BAND : Disciplined Army Defense Bonus
Having a Disciplined personality, Kato Katsuro may aid the Sacred Band with
their DISCIPLINED ARMY DEFENSE BONUS
*NOTE: See The Book of Sacred Band for proper application.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

General Discussion:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...highlight=Kato
Strategy:
Criticism:
Army Ideas:
Counters to Kato Katsuro:
Overpriced?
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=19091

Power Ranking

Jexik: Kato Katsuro- Although extremely expensive, he does allow you to make an army that can get 8 attacks in one order marker. He seems more appropriate in gigantic games. B-

OEAO: B-

Cleon: Tier 5 (128/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B-

Unit Strategy Review
TBA

Last edited by superfrog; March 19th, 2019 at 11:55 PM. Reason: vc added
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:02 PM

eric.dunfee Woo who?
Re: The Book of Kato Katsuro

I absolutely LOVE playing this guy! Swarm armies are so much fun!
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM

darkmantle has disabled reputation

By no means is this guy bad, but in 500 poin or less armies, seems very expensive, in high point armies, he could be very cheap considering the versatility he brings. Don't expect to see him in many tournaments though...
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:48 PM

Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker

I have just been having incredible success with this guy, 3x Yari, 2x Harquebus, and the Izumi Samurai. I don't know if it's just the armies I have been playing against or what, but it has been very effective. Use the Izumi to tie up your opponents figures early on and then race in with 8 attacks a turn and it doesn't take long to do some serious damage. And it feels pretty great to win a game with having Kato being your only figure on the board
Old June 25th, 2008, 12:07 AM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

500 points is all you really need to see him shine with 3x each ashigaru. His ability to make a swarm army is ridiculous with more attacks per turn then any combination I can think of.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.
Old June 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I tried him out for the first time today in a 500pt battle... WOW! I underestimated the power behind moving and attacking with 8 figures every turn!

With 2X of each Yari and Harq, it was incredibly effective. And for my last 100pts, I had the Kozuke in reserve with Kato as his personal guard. They really seem perfect as his rear guard as they can rush out with their move 8 Charging Assault to engage any unit that breaks past the Ashigaru hordes, protecting Kato.

I was skeptical of his 200pt cost, but no longer!! He is worth every point for what he does.

And better yet, he's a blast to play! I can't wait to try him in larger army builds. But was pleasantly surprised at how good he can be even in 500pt battles.

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old June 27th, 2008, 09:23 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
I tried him out for the first time today in a 500pt battle... WOW! I underestimated the power behind moving and attacking with 8 figures every turn!

With 2X of each Yari and Harq, it was incredibly effective. And for my last 100pts, I had the Kozuke in reserve with Kato as his personal guard. They really seem perfect as his rear guard as they can rush out with their move 8 Charging Assault to engage any unit that breaks past the Ashigaru hordes, protecting Kato.

I was skeptical of his 200pt cost, but no longer!! He is worth every point for what he does.

And better yet, he's a blast to play! I can't wait to try him in larger army builds. But was pleasantly surprised at how good he can be even in 500pt battles.

SW8K
Totally agree. This is one of my absolute favorite units now.

It like that they gave him a Move of 6. His clear sight on all other figures is crucial. That nice move helps him get around to where he needs to be in order to see everything.
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:14 AM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker

I'm going to be using him soon(my friends and I picked armys so we are ready). I was wondering; does he need to see all the figures in the squad that are going to move? From the way they say it, it sounds as though he does.
Old June 28th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav11111 View Post
I was wondering; does he need to see all the figures in the squad that are going to move?
Yes, but "clear sight" means he does not need to see a portion of the fig that can be targeted, any part will do - like the spears of the Yari. Also, on your turn you can adjust any of your figures, so it is possible to spin a Yari around until Kato could see his spear (for example) - this would make him eligible to be Commanded.

~Aldin, doing the Ashigaru Shuffle

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav11111 View Post
... I was wondering; does he need to see all the figures in the squad that are going to move? From the way they say it, it sounds as though he does.
To keep it clear, as long as he can see the figure you want to move, that particular figure can move... So if he can only see 2 out of the 3 Kozuke Samurai, for example, then 2 of them can still move, but the 3rd one he can't see is unable to be activated. He doesn't need to be able to see all of a squad for at least some of the squad to be activated.

And I learned the hard way that it's very important to double check your final placements after moving to ensure Kato can still see them... I inadvertently moved 2 of my Yari into a river crossing to charge the enemy the next turn, only to realize that next turn that they were no longer in Kato's sight. Oops.... In the heat of battle, they were essentially lost to me as I didn't want to take a turn to reposition Kato. And when moving/attacking with 8 figures, it can be easy to forget to check.

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old June 28th, 2008, 01:39 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Resource: Index of Samurai/Ashigaru/Kato (with card pics and Book links)
Old June 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Twenty Questioner

TheMainMan knows what's in an order marker TheMainMan knows what's in an order marker

I always seem to get this backwards, and the more I read the card, the more I am aggrevating myself.

Do the units Kato moves need to be able to see any part of Kato, or does Kato need to be able to see any part of the units he is moving?

-TMM

To be the man, you have to beat the man!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units