Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Old January 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker
Lord of the Rings TMG at Gen Con 11

We will be back again this year.

Two events again. The North American Championship on Saturday at 4 pm.

A fun event - Battle for Osgiliath. Armies and a heroscape tile map provided.

http://snaggletoothgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1131

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:37 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Re: Lord of the Rings TMG at Gen Con 11

OMG... I just found this thread and I haven't been over to SnaggleTooth in ages. That was the very first support group for my war-gaming with mini's addiction (lol) and I was a regular contributor there. LotR: TMG (imho) is still one of the all time best game designs that I've ever seen. I've been collecting them since the beginning (I have everything except the RK set and the last 12 PR's), but seldom could I find anyone to play with. So they're all boxed up in my storage unit just waiting for the next Tolkien Revival (hopefully, when the new "Hobbit" movie hits the silver screens). I was so sad when SaberTooth got absorbed into the GW monolith and they pulled the plug on Combat Hex. Now I am delighted to hear that someone out there is trying to keep that game alive. It fits so perfectly with the HS terrain tiles and many of the Medieval/Fantasy custom designs. I always wanted to go to CinciCon to meet Vanquish and the other TMG'ers, and I previously had NO intention of going to GenCon (not even to play HS all weekend), but now I may just reconsider my vacation plans and hope that Mrs.G. will go along with another one of my crazy ideas. If I don't get to see you there in August, please extend to all the participants my sincere greetings and best wishes. ~ John G. in NJ

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:10 PM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker

It doesn't look like The Hobbit will be the vehicle for the return of TMG.

http://wizkidsgames.com/lotr/

Given WizKids history, this has to count as scary. Might be a good source for custom material though.

In any case, come to GenCon. We would love to have you there.

Old February 1st, 2011, 02:55 PM

Harlax ~

You're right. I have to agree that "The Hobbit" will NOT be the vehicle for the return of LotR: TMG. I don't ever expect see LotR: TMG re-published (even as an anniversary edition), unless one of us die-hard fans wins a lottery for a gazillion dollars and invests heavily into the Chinese factory that originally made them with that specific stipulation.

However, I am hoping that the new Hobbit movie (especially if it is another trilogy that includes material from the Silmarillion, etc.) will at least ignite another J.R.R. Tolkien revival, for the next generation of fantasy literature afictionados. And then there will once again be a viable market for all the crap that I've collected for this genre. I'm starting to think about my retirement and want to recoup some of my investment, before they cart me off to an old farts home ...lol...

Until then, yes - I have a plethora of figures for making customized HeroScape armies. I'm so glad that others have done the hard work of creating the Stat Cards. I'll have to follow that <link> when I get home, the Net Server's filtering software here at work has blocked me from accessing it, but thanks for providing it, and thanks for inviting me to join you in Aug. There's way too much already on my plate to even consider taking another bite.

Have A Nic eDay my friend. I l0^0k forward to hearing (reading) about your imaginary exploits in Middle Earth with the TMG mini's on the HS battlefields (landscapes
~ John G.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old May 5th, 2011, 07:48 AM

The fun event is now sold out. But last year we had several no shows, so if you are interested bring some generics and you may well be able to play.

The tournament still has slots open.

Old August 25th, 2011, 10:22 PM

Harlax ~

A VEERY BIG *"THANK YOU*" to you and GVey for putting this together. I'm sorry I couldn't even find you guys on Thurs and missed the Osgiliath thing (btw: the new LOTR card game's newest expansion, that they were promoting, is also called Osgiliath... something, as there were several announcements for it in the directory - but I digress). Saturday's tournament was a blast. I had a fantastic time, especially since I finally got to use some of my many figures. And it was GREAT to meet all of you. Well maybe we'll do it again next year.

~ John G. in NJ

Last edited by Johngee; August 25th, 2011 at 10:23 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old August 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM

I am certain something will happen next year at GenCon. It may not be the tournament as GVey and Rebelalliance will both be back at school that week.

But I'm sure there will be at least one fun event.

Thanks for playing.

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM

Gosh, it's been ten weeks since GenCon-12, and I'm finally getting around to contacting you... I did stop by your tables, where it appeared that you were demo'ing LotR:TMG to Noob's, more like a Dungeon Master, than orchestrating a FUN EVENT with other knowledgeable participants. The other players did not seem too familiar with the game's mechanics and appeared to be just going along for the ride, while you did most of the work.

Anyway, I wish we had more time to talk, but I was riding with and rooming with three Heroscape buddies from the east coast (MARS) and so our schedules were kind of tied together for HS tournaments, Leviathans demo's, dealer hall shopping, and meals downtown. Did you set up another thread for GenCon-12 discussions? I did not see one, but may have missed it. Are you planning to run anything similar next year (2013)? Is anyone keeping a list of active TMG players? Is the SnaggleTooth web site still up and running? I have an idea for a possible all day LotR:TMG Fun Event that I'd like to share with you, if you're interested.

Last edited by Johngee; October 21st, 2012 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Corrected typos

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures