Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old October 25th, 2017, 12:32 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Letters From the Front

I don't know much about it. It was a bite from some kind of a giant diseased rat, one of four or five we fought at once, and the victims' max HP are dropping every day as they get sicker. We'll get back to town in plenty of time, though. The DM hinted that we are not going to encounter any bad news as we sail a few days back up the coast.

I expect next week to be pretty slow, too, because one of the players gets distracted and unfocused easily, and a "wander around town looking for the next chapter" evening may be a tough slog. Though it may be a good opportunity for him to get a feel for meaningful role playing. He's new to RPGs. We'll see.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 25th, 2017, 01:04 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

We gamed last weekend. First real RPG in over three years.

Our characters were specially trained by this 'cult' that has existed for unknown ages and was created to oppose a powerful race of immortals known as the Urn.

We were highly trained but had zero actual experience in the field. We were told to infiltrate the Roman army as common soldiers to facilitate our travels across the lands to an island where an Urn was known to reside and use special powers crystals to lock him in a dimensional prison.

In addition to our training (we were mostly warriors but a few were rangers but all also had some thief and assassin training) we each possessed 3-12 tattoos with magical abilities. These require a touch to activate and also yen (magic points) of varying amounts. The abilities varied from creating weapons and armor, to camo, creating darkness or silence, stopping time and even summoning of demons. Many increased combat abilities.

The problem was that the Urn and their underlings would recognize the tats on site, so they needed to be discreetly placed. We had to note exactly where each was located on our bodies and people with many tats had to choose small ones to fit them as the more powerful ones took up your entire chest or back (so you could have at most, two of the really powerful ones).

Pretty fun just choosing the tats and where they were located. Of course we all chose 'power lord' tats for the most part and failed to get a good mix (there were around 40 tattoos total). We had four players, I am looking forward to next week when we should have closer to ten next week. I am going to help GM and we already pre-selected the tats for the new PCs and ensured to give them a good mix.

We encountered a few skirmishes along the way while traveling with the army. We discovered that all the tats we had chosen to increase our archery skills were marginalized by the fact we were impersonating foot soldiers and none of us even had a bow or arrows (some had a tat to create a bow, but not arrows).

My character had a weird quirk and hated Romans with a furor. This made for some interesting role play as I tried to no avail to assist some Celts and was caught assassinating a Roman archer for his bow and arrows.
My group help me finish off the witnesses and we made our way out of the war zone, deserting the army and met our contact who is to take us by ship, down river and to the island of the Urn.

The main problem is there a chain that has been run across the river and we need to drop if we want to take our contact's vessel. We have to pretend to be slaves to get through this area and resort to giving up everything and dangerously exposing our tats. We tried to cover them with mud and blood as best we could and went along.

That was about as far as we went. We were plagued by fumble rolls and had a nasty habit of knocking ourselves out with our own shields. Next week should have a lot more craziness, including evil magic users, werewolves, harpies, minotaur, white dwarves, an android gargoyle and even a kraken.
Old October 25th, 2017, 01:30 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Ooh. That sounds very interesting, Tornado. I'm looking forward to updates.

How frequent are fumbles? They aren't every 1 on a d20, are they? I don't like that system. A trained archer will not drop his bow once every twenty times she shoots an arrow, for instance. Miss, sure, but fumble? Not so often.

= =
Old October 25th, 2017, 02:53 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Thus Far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post

And I've met both of you. Our current campaign is on hiatus as everyone got very busy but I'm basically dming the DND equivalent of superhero team.

~Dysole, who doesn't want to go into too much detail about what she has planned as W099 is a player in the campaign
Very interesting.

Can you at least tell us what has happened thus far?
What kinds of powers do they have?
So it's being run like a Justice league/Heroes for Hire organization. The party are lower levels of the Champions of Eberron (a lot has happened in this Eberron world over the course of several campaigns and having an organization like this could've prevented some of the worst parts). Now I'm going for more of a superhero aesthetic than something I could just run in a superhero RPG.

Not a whole lot hasn't happened and the party is still technically in the middle of their first mission where they had to investigate disappearances on the border between the goblin nation, the human nation, and a relatively new warforged nation. People and warforged parts were going missing in goblin country. The party found out it's the work of a rogue faction in goblin territory working with someone (they have a name that none of them really recognize) who's found a way to make warforged hybrids. The party has fought a couple hybridized goblin/bugbear creatures and found some of the results of testing on humans. The adventure has basically ended there until we resume it. I know what's in store for this adventure and also the overarching story but I tend to play things fast and loose having NPCs with goals rather than plots because the party loves to do things I didn't plan for.

~Dysole, who could also regale you with old DND adventures she's played or DMed
Old October 25th, 2017, 03:12 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I was a dungeon crawl GM in my early days but when I got confident enough to open the world up and allow the PCs free reign, it was a lot more fun for everyone.

One of my favorite campaigns, the PCs started as simple bounty hunters and after a few games they had got themselves in so many plots, the game ran itself after that.
I had to draw up 'NPC tree' to keep track of everyone and how they connected. It kind of looked like a police cork board where they have all the pictures of suspects and strings connecting them.

Bring on the stories Dysole.
Old October 25th, 2017, 03:27 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Welcome to the lands of Agris (my own setting), torn apart by war and ancient technology, now struggling under the threat of rebellion.

The party has been trekking through the old remnants of the kingdom of Naylon. Once enlightened by technology, civil war and economic depression caused the collapse of their great empire. Religious fanaticism and honor filled the void left by a progressive idea of fusing magic and technology. But the people of Naylon refuse to quietly return to dust. Organizing themselves into loose resistance groups, they strike out against their occupiers, the Inquisition of the Light. Using an ancient war machine, they've been struggling for years to reclaim their land, and restore their dragon lord, the Firemind, to power.

After a party member lost an arm in a horrific accident, he's been struggling to find a suitable replacement. After poking around at the fortified city-state of Cog Bastion, he found a lead for a mechanical arm. The catch? They had to travel deep into resistance territory to recover the ashes of the Firemind for creating a simulacrum. Throughout the journey, they've been finding more and more clues relating to the forbidden history of the world.

On their way to the ruins of Gearworks, the old capital, they've encountered several "failed experiments", horrid abominations of flesh and metal serving to supplement the lack of the Firemind. Rifts from civil war created by the income disparity from the Naylon scientific revolution still stand, dividing rebels amongst themselves. Within a day's march to their destination, they come across an old military outpost, built across dysfunctional train tracks. Buried below lies the wreckage of the great weapon used by Naylon hundreds of years ago: Crystal Aegis, the 7th mechanized automaton.

Before they get a chance to analyze it, to their surprise, a train rolls in. It's the resistance, searching for old pieces of the mecha to wage war against the Inquisition. After a quick "the enemy of my enemy is my friend", they join forces, swearing to bring down Inquisition occupation.

Apparently mecha and robots fit pretty well into a D&D setting. Who could have guessed?
This sounds so cool! Please post more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:06 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!
Really Weird Stuff Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Risking the entire group to replace an arm. Love it.
It all started when they investigated a strange curio shop suspected of dealing with a dark cult. After breaching the run-down shop of "Madame Torkin's Oddities", they found themselves in a secret basement full of forbidden knowledge. And a dagger. Naturally, the fighter picks up the weapon, only to find that it's cursed, and he can't let go. It's sending him weird thoughts, but he can't seem to make it end. The solution?

"Guys quick! Cut off my arm!"

Since the beginning of the campaign, the fighter really only had one arm. Made it all the better when he single handedly (pun fully intended) crashed enemy lines to save a girl in a hectic brothel battle.

After he discovered an old notebook belonging to a wizard apprentice detailing mechanical limbs, he has become obsessed with getting an arm. This led to the druid threatening him with healing. (They'd found a regenerate scroll earlier. )

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old October 27th, 2017, 12:25 PM
I probably just killed the joke - in comic sans

marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness marrowick wears ripped pants of awesomeness

By far my most memorable part of my D&D experience has been a mage companion in our current campaign. This mage is one of the unluckiest people I've ever heard of, both fictional and non-fictional.

In the span of a single fight she crit failed, twice, with darts, onto me. The first time she only dealt damage, but the second time she broke my shield... with darts.

Later she ended up failing at brewing some potion causing it to explode.

Most recently she caused the death of one of our companions.

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

Old October 27th, 2017, 03:12 PM

There was a Dungeon adventure based on a character like that, Hugo the Hapless.
His failure to find a trap wipes out the rest of the party. He then gathers up their magic items, each with its own personality.

One PC is Hugo and the rest are the magic items. Really fun scenario.
Old October 31st, 2017, 12:56 PM

We had a ton of no shows so I ended up playing with the group this last week.

One player was gone and a new one joined. He was the lone survivor of a lead scout group that had been captured. Thankfully he had all his gear and new magic tattoos.

The group mounted an assault on the tower where the chain was anchored and dispatched the two large guards. We were harassed by a mage who slipped through a secret passage and flew away through an escape shaft.

We gave chase but he had already assembled the armed forces on the other side of the river and they were firing lots of arrows at us. We were able to avoid most but the new guy, Deacon Faust, took one in the eye. I healed the wound as best I could and gave the arrow to our archer and then snatched another arrow from the air and presented that as well.

Deacon summoned a demon via tattoo, won a battle of wills then handed it a Holy Hand Grenade also via tattoo, which it flew across the river and deposited in the middle of the archers (loving the new guy), blowing them to bits. The demon returns and flies its master across to join another PC who had also flown across.

Having no demon nor flight, I dove off the tower into the river and began to swim.
The PCs and Demon engage the mage and hurt him badly and he summons forth the kraken, with me being the only one in the water.

Thankfully they finish off the mage quickly and the kraken returns to kraken business.
With the help of the demon and a flaming sword we were able to break the chain and sail down river to the island of the urn.

We were let off at the bottom of a cliff with a rickety ladder leading up to a cave that then descended, as we walked we heard loud noises from the behind the tunnel walls.

We took the opportunity to Ghost, basically graduate level sneaking, when suddenly the wall blasted open as an albino dwarf comes flying through it and smashes into the opposite tunnel wall. Next emerges a Frey (think minotaur)that briefly checks the dwarf and turns to face a third figure that appeared to be a living gargoyle. The gargoyle swings both arms which transform into swords at the Frey who blocks them with giant blue battle axes.

We each take our opportunities to sneak past, though it felt like they knew we were there, they did not attack us and none of us were brave enough to try, besides they did not appear to be involved with our mission so left them and the tunnel collapsed behind us.

The tunnel led us into a secret chamber in the castle of the Urn. Upon making our way inside we managed to split up and walk into a bunch or traps. After escaping them we were greeted by our quarry but he was not alone...

Last edited by Tornado; November 1st, 2017 at 07:45 AM.
Old October 31st, 2017, 04:00 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Excellent. Thanks, Tornado!

= =
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:16 PM

Thanks DS.

... The Urn took a few moments to mock us while one PC went about placing magic crystals that formed a dimensional prison trapping us inside with the Urn and his friend.

He appeared as a large glowing white humanoid with giant horns. I imagined him like the demon in Legend but with white skin instead of red. He wore simple white robes and wields an ebony blade adorned with glowing runes.

We activated out tattoos and began our assault on the Urn who responded with annoying tricks of mists and confusion. The other was just a thorn as well, unleashing waves of agony on those failing to resist the dark magic in his sword.

One PC felt the full wrath of that infernal weapon when it sucked his soule. Fortunately he had a Fate Point and returned to the living. Deacon disarmed and retrieved the blade but then immediately fumbled it and watched helplessly as it buried itself to the hilt in the floor.

The Urn had another trick and switched the minds of my PC and Deacon Faust. This meant we had to switch characters and I immediately seized the opportunity to summon a demon. I managed to fail the battle of wills (which means the demon is now actively trying to kill me) and responded by summoning a second demon. This was a classic, a giant creature wielding a many chained flail like weapon that is adorned with the skulls of its victims, the Kisserflee.

The kisserflee smashed the Urn into near destruction and it changes into a gaseous form.
We contend with his friend who had now recovered his rune blade while I get pummeled by the original demon with its paired stunning nunchuks.

I activate Dispell Magic via tattoo and make the Urn solid again. A dangerous move for me as the two summons and the dispell costs about 75% of my hit points and I still have a demon trying to kill me.

I make a desperate and poor move. Taking myself to near death, I create a Holy Hand Grenade and toss it at the baddies. Too bad we were all too close and trapped in a confined state. Everyone dies. A couple of us has a Fate Point remaining and live to tell the tale.

Thankfully the GM spares us the final encounter he had planned as our PCs were spent and would not have lasted long in an additional skirmish.

Fun game.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games