Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old November 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
The Vaguely Official-ish SoulCalibur Thread!

Transcending history and the world, a tale of souls and swords, eternally retold...

Now, I'm a bit fighting game fan. One of my favorite genres - from Street Fighter to Super Smash Brothers, I can't get enough of them. But my favorite series of all time is without a doubt Soul Calibur. The story, the fighting system, the characters, everything. This is where we can discuss it - Soul Edge, SoulCalibur, SoulCalibur II, SoulCalibur III, and the most recent installment, SoulCalibur IV. I guess SoulCalibur Legends, the Wii Spin-off, too.

SoulCalibur II was my first, and my favorite. I've played SoulCalibur III at a friends house, and it's just as good, but I prefer II just... because. Raphael, Mitsurugi, and Sophitia are the characters I'm best as, and my favorites, as well.

So, how 'bout all of you?

Last edited by johnny139; August 2nd, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
ooh! I love the Soul Caliber games! Legends look awesome but I'm slightly dissapointed Soul Caliber 4 isn't for Wii...

Like to note that Ivy was in every soul caliber game, maybe not soul edge, but soul caliber...

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Soul Edge is as much a part of the SoulCalibur Series as SoulCalibur itself. So Ivy isn't in every game.

On an unrelated note, who think the SCIV art for Siegfried is really, really badass?
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:42 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
The only ive played is #2. Its fun. I may get Soul Caliber Legends. Maybe.

My Signature
Old November 13th, 2007, 02:37 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Soul Edge was an awesome game for its time and was one of the early games that put arcades in their grave. Namco started releasing the superior home ports and people never looked back. I actually remember it most for it's excellent story progression and mission modes.

Soul Caliber was of course the Dreamcast's baby and a fantastic game. Fantastic to see they actually moved the story along, and the game and pretty much perfected the 3D fighter. I don't think anything has shaken up the genre to the same level since.

Soul Caliber 2 was essentially the perfection of the original, and the start of disappointment for me. The story progressed like it does for most fighting games... ie not at all. Sure, the events of the previous game happened, but nobody really changed. Same fighters one way or another, same boss, same everything. Absolutely fantastic game though, and fixed most of the original's flaws.

Three was a disappointment for me. Same game, same graphics. Pretty meh overall. I really hope 4 shakes things up again, as for the most part, I'm still happy playing 2.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
The Playstation port of Soul Edge was called Soul Blade. It was awesome, and one of the first 32 bit games to actually be a lot of fun. I was 12 when I played it, so of course my favorite characters were the hot chicks. I remember playing Rock a lot too because I loved smashing players way out of the ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

I think 4 will be more of the same, sadly - but it DOES seem to be the end of the Nightmare vs. Siegfried storyline. Unless they cop-out, this looks like the final battle between them. After that we should get a new plot.

Or it'll end in a tie, and they'll have the "final battle" in SoulCalibur V. Anythings possible.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:50 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Soul Caliber was the reason I bought a Dreamcast. I logged in an extraordinary amount hours playing this game. And then everyone bought the Playstation 2 even though the games sucked compared to DC (at the time) and DC bit the dust. RIP best gaming system ever.
Old November 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I kind of like your basic good vs. evil story line. I'd feel cheated if it turns out that Jandar is the bad guy after all and everyone turns on him.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM

DeadZa has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSisforcoolkids
Soul Caliber was the reason I bought a Dreamcast. I logged in an extraordinary amount hours playing this game. And then everyone bought the Playstation 2 even though the games sucked compared to DC (at the time) and DC bit the dust. RIP best gaming system ever.
I too was one of the proud and few DC owners. It had amazing graphics and I can only imagine how well Sega would have done if it wasn't for whatever magic Marketing company Sony had.

But oh yea, SC! I loved SC II and III was even OK. It was fun but was lacking something I couldn't quite explain. Depth I think? I don't know but I just grew a bit bored with the game after getting all the weapons and items unlocked. Plus too many character doubles who are someones Ken to anothers Ryu.

My biggest gripe? Asteroth is in *serious* need to be cool looking in his 2nd outfits. Ever since he was first created his 2nd form has looked goofy but the giant hammer mask from the III game really did it in for me. Worse than his rabbit costume in II by far.

Rapheal, Nightmare, Asteroth and Ivy ftw!
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadZa
But oh yea, SC! I loved SC II and III was even OK. It was fun but was lacking something I couldn't quite explain. Depth I think? I don't know but I just grew a bit bored with the game after getting all the weapons and items unlocked. Plus too many character doubles who are someones Ken to anothers Ryu.
Three lacks new features that make it stand out from it's predecessor. It's more like Super Soul Caliber II Turbo: The New Challengers than a true sequel. To a certain degree, the same can be said for Soul Caliber 2 though people tend to be ok buying the same game twice, and sadly, the Dreamcast didn't reach nearly enough people. Plus, people got to play as Link and all
Old November 13th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Hey man, the first console game I ever bought was Street Fighter 2: Turbo for the SNES. You could um... play the bosses in that one.

The next game I bought was Lufia and the Fortress of Doom. It cost me 70 bucks before tax, which is more than the current generation of games cost! I was 8, so if you think about the percentage of my annual income, that was one expensive game. I think it was worth every penny though.

When Soulblade and most of the PSX games were only 40 bucks, that was a nice deal.

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games