Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old November 9th, 2021, 12:10 AM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Book of Black Tom Cassidy

The Book of Black Tom Cassidy

C3G MARVEL PUBLIC EXCLUSIVE COLLECTION 31
THE SOUND AND THE FURY

Comic PDF

Mini PDF

The figure used for this unit is a Heroclix figure from the Deadpool set.
Its model number and name are #044 / Black Tom Cassidy.

Character Bio - Best known as the cousin of Banshee and uncle of Siryn, Thomas Cassidy is a mutant who can essentially fire blasts of heated force through any piece of wood; as a result, he is also recognizable for his trademark shillelagh, which he carries around with him everywhere. The X-Men first battled Black Tom at Cassidy Keep alongside Cain Marko (aka the Juggernaut), who has been his longtime pal since serving time in prison together.

Black Tom Cassidy and the Juggernaut went on to be a pair of dastardly villains who would do odd jobs for aspiring supervillains, hire Arcade to kill the X-Men, or work their own schemes. Later on he turned into a treeman with a bunch of plant powers and became more unstable. Before losing his powers on M-Day, he and Juggernaut had a falling out after Tom killed a student at the Xavier Institute whom Cain had befriended. This led to a parting of ways and Juggernaut began to question his life of crime.

Tom's old powers eventually resurfaced and he mended things with Marko. More recently Black Tom arrived on the shores of Krakoa, along with all the mutants of the world who had been invited to the mutant haven. He has now formed a bond with the island itself and serves as the leading form of security for the new nation of mutants.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • N/A

-Combinations and Synergies-

Incoming Synergy:Outgoing Synergy:
  • Black Tom Cassidy may turn a Unique Hero that is an Outcast into a Criminal. Current Outcasts.
Immunities, Benefits, and Weaknesses:_________________________________________________________________

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-
  • Initial playtest: Ericth74
  • Second playtest: Splash
  • Third playtest: IAmBatman
  • Fourth playtest: FreshFoods
  • Art: Comic, Figure, Background
  • Card Art by Dr. Jekyll
  • Black Tom Cassidy was created by Chris Claremont and Dave Cockrum for X-Men #99 (June 1976).
  • Comic art by Michael Ryan and Rick Ketcham.

Last edited by Splash; August 6th, 2022 at 06:48 PM. Reason: credits
Old November 9th, 2021, 12:11 AM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Black Tom Cassidy - Breathing

NAME = BLACK TOM CASSIDY
SECRET IDENTITY = THOMAS CASSIDY

SPECIES = MUTANT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = OUTCAST
PERSONALITY = DEGENERATE

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 5

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4

POINTS = 160

PARTNERS IN CRIME
At the start of the game you may choose a Unique Hero in your army that shares a class with Black Tom Cassidy. For the rest of the game, both Black Tom Cassidy and the chosen Hero have the class of Criminal in addition to what is listed on their cards. After revealing an Order Marker on the chosen Hero's Army Card, before taking a turn with that Hero, you may take a turn with Black Tom Cassidy. If you do, you may not take any additional turns with any figures except for the chosen Hero.

THERMOKINETIC BLAST SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 4.
Choose a figure to attack. If Black Tom Cassidy is adjacent to an Evergreen Tree or Jungle Piece, all figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by this special attack. Roll attack dice once for all affected figures.

ROUGH AND TUMBLE
When rolling defense dice against a special attack, Black Tom Cassidy always adds one automatic shield to whatever is rolled.

The original design; looking back.

Last edited by Splash; July 11th, 2022 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Perspective
Old November 9th, 2021, 12:12 AM

Things and stuff...

Image ideas?
Spoiler Alert!

Figure pic/s

Background?

Random photo of him using a bunch of wood off a semi trailer to do a mega-size blast:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Splash; November 9th, 2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old November 9th, 2021, 12:17 AM

Thanks everyone, I'm excited to get this rolling! I have a slightly busier week than usual so I may not be as quick to reply.
Nobody said there were a few kinks folks wanted to sort out so let's get hashing!

Quote:
SONIC RESISTANCE
Black Tom Cassidy rolls 1 extra defense die when attacked by Sonic Scream Special Attack.
OR
Black Tom Cassidy rolls 1 extra defense die when attacked by any special attack in which Symbiotes roll fewer defense dice.
I can't remember if I left this because I couldn't decide or I wanted to make sure I got some input, but right now, I'm leaning about 90% towards the first option.
Old November 9th, 2021, 12:35 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

So Black Tom isn't a character I know too well - he's just never popped up in a ton of what I've read. So take my notes with a grain of thematic salt.

-I've really struggled to find many notes on his immunity to Banshee's powers. It's on Wikipedia, but not mentioned anywhere else. Does he have an immunity to all sonic attacks, or just Banshee's? And is that a thing that's important to his character, or something that one writer came up with one time?

-Partners In Crime is putting in a lot of legwork for what I'm not sure is a lot of gain? Is there a reason for the Savage Creature callout (other than to make it a reusable power on Cobra), the funky before/after turn bonding, or the power negation? Something like this seems way simpler,s o I'm interested to hear your decision making process there.
Quote:
PARTNERS IN CRIME
At the start of the game you may choose a Unique Outcast Hero you control. For the entire game, both Black Tom Cassidy and the chosen Hero have the class of Criminal in addition to what is listed on their cards. After revealing an Order Marker on the chosen Hero and taking a turn with that figure, you may take a turn with Black Tom Cassidy. You may not take any additional turns.
-I get the desire to tie him to plant stuff, but it doesn't seem like he's ever really needed that when he has his staff? Again, I don't know the character very well.
Old November 9th, 2021, 12:55 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I'd go more like the first Sonic Resistance direction... honestly I think that bit is kinda trinkety and we could skip it altogether, since we haven't historically bothered with the "related Mutants can't affect each other" stuff. (I know the Summers brothers have the same thing going on)

I'd tackle the first power like:

Quote:
OUTCAST PARTNER IN CRIME
At the start of the game, you may choose another Unique Outcast Hero in your army. Black Tom Cassidy and the chosen Hero have the class of Criminal in addition to what is listed on their cards. After revealing an Order Marker on this card or the card of Black Tom's chosen Hero, you must either take a turn with both Black Tom and the chosen Hero, or negate this special power for the rest of the game. You may not take any additional turns.

The main things I tweaked there, wording stuff aside, is:
-sticking 'Outcast' at the front lets it be reusable without capturing an unintended synergy set
-IMO it's fine to just let him work with Outcasts more broadly (or you could key on Unyielding if you wanted a funkier synergy set) instead of getting hyper specific about Juggs
-I went with giving Criminal in addition... mild preference, but I think it's nice to be able to include him in Brotherhood stuff more easily if you like, since that's not a crazy thing for him
Old November 9th, 2021, 08:23 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I like him being able to be part of Outcast builds as well. I'd probably just avoid the class stuff altogether. Outcasts can be partners in crime without being Criminals.

I like the use of Jungle Trees and Evergreen Trees in the fire power.

I'd probably cut the sonic resistance power as we haven't really done the Mutants being resistant to their siblings thing thus far.

Edit: Make sure to post a link to this in the Welcome to C3G thread so folks know it's here!

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old November 9th, 2021, 06:07 PM

Version 1.5
Quote:
NAME = BLACK TOM CASSIDY
SECRET IDENTITY = THOMAS CASSIDY

SPECIES = MUTANT
UNIQUENESS = UNIQUE HERO
CLASS = OUTCAST
PERSONALITY = FLAGRANT

SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 4

MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 5

POINTS = 160

OUTCAST PARTNER IN CRIME
At the start of the game you may choose a Unique Outcast Hero in your army. For the rest of the game, both Black Tom Cassidy and the chosen Hero have the class of Criminal in addition to what is listed on their cards and you may take a turn with the chosen Hero before or after taking a turn with Black Tom Cassidy. After taking a turn with Black Tom Cassidy and that Hero, you may not take any additional turns with other figures you control.

THERMOKINETIC BLAST SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 5. Attack 3.
Choose a figure to attack. If Black Tom is adjacent to an Evergreen Tree or Jungle Piece, any figures adjacent to the chosen figure are also affected by the Thermokinetic Blast Special Attack. Roll 3 attack dice once for all affected figures.

SONIC SCREAM RESISTANCE
Black Tom Cassidy may not target or be targeted by figures with the Sonic Scream Special Attack for any special attacks.
Outcast Partner in Crime
Yeah, I like that solution, just have another variation later for Cobra. I really like giving them both too, not sure why I was limiting it earlier. I'm fine with just Outcast too, as long as we can get Tom in at 160, so that Juggs is the obvious pairing, but with him being almost the strongest Outcast I feel like there will still be incentive to pull him in for Criminal synergies, which I really want to give both of them. The Brotherhood's schemes are usually for Mutant stuff, I can see these two more just getting hired to do a job. And not having an Om requirement means you can get LexCorps or Waller or whoever to get the both of them moving and attacking in a turn, making drafting them more worth it. I also dropped the thing where they get mad at each other and stop working together, cause it was mostly for theme and probably overly complicated.

The Blast

So I'm not super keen on going full plant mode on Tom, but I do like how it's not just his shillelagh that he can use. Like he carries it around for the reasons Gambit carries a deck of cards. More wood equals a bigger blast, I think it'd be cool to use that in game, and it would see use on most maps.

Sonic Scream Resistance

From their original appearance in the Claremont run at Cassidy Keep. It was important enough to go on his clix card. If it was just Banshee I would consider it too niche and counter-y to Banshee, but there is also Siryn as well, so I figure two would see more interaction than one. I also buffed it to where he just isn't affected at all, since otherwise rolling just one extra die against a power he'll rarely encounter just isn't worth putting on a card. I also have him not being able to target them, so he's not just designed to take them out.
All that said, I could see it go if no one else wants to see it, I'm just not sure what a third power would be for him atm.
Old November 9th, 2021, 08:15 PM
Forum Moderator

Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness Dr. Jekyll wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would honestly lose the Sonic Resistance power. Not that it's not cool or anything, it's just super niche.

All that I have seen of Black Tom (aside from the 90s cartoon) is him with bark-like claws and skin. So maybe a little play on that?

Quote:
BARK SKIN DEFENSE
When rolling defense dice against a normal attack, you may count one blank rolled as an automatic shield. If Black Tom rolled any excess shields and the attacking figure is adjacent, you may remove one Wound Marker from this card.
"That's fine, I'll just grow it back" kinda thing.
Old November 10th, 2021, 05:43 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Yeah simplifying the top power would be great. Cutting the negation at the end is a good call since... when would you ever NOT use it if you could?

Opening up the resistence to be something a bit more general would be cool, like
Quote:
RESISTENCE
Black Tom Cassidy rolls one additional defense die against Special Attacks.
Though I don't know the character deep enough so know if that's palatable.

I'm also not a huge fan of terrain dependent powers, so the tree bonus doesn't seem that great to me, but that's also fine to keep if it's a huge part of his character. I don't even know what this guy's powers are aside from that he can shoot things from a staff
Old November 10th, 2021, 06:16 PM

I'll add a bio soon so people have an idea of his history and powers, I feel a general buff like an auto-shield against SAs/ranged SAs could be fun (and roll in his Banshee immunity), like a Hard To Kill/Rough Sort kinda power or yeah Bark Skin Defense like a nod to his "I'm a treemutant" thing he has going on sometimes.
Old November 11th, 2021, 02:35 PM

Bio added
"Best known as the cousin of Banshee and uncle of Siryn, Thomas Cassidy is a mutant who can essentially fire blasts of heated force through any piece of wood; as a result, he is also recognizable for his trademark shillelagh, which he carries around with him everywhere. The X-Men first battled Black Tom at Cassidy Keep alongside Cain Marko (aka the Juggernaut), who has been his longtime pal since serving time in prison together.

Black Tom Cassidy and the Juggernaut went on to be a pair of dastardly villains who would do odd jobs for aspiring supervillains, hire Arcade to kill the X-Men, or work their own schemes {from 1976/Claremont run to 1994/Deadpool}. Later on {in the mid 90s} he turned into a treeman with a bunch of plant powers and became more unstable. Before losing his powers on M-Day {mid 2000s}, he and Juggernaut had a falling out after Tom killed a student at the Xavier Institute whom Cain had befriended. This led to a parting of ways and Juggernaut began to question his life of crime.

{By the early 2010s} Tom's old powers eventually resurfaced and he mended things with Marko. More recently Black Tom arrived on the shores of Krakoa, along with all the mutants of the world who had been invited to the mutant haven. He has now formed a bond with the island itself {I haven’t read much, but I know his plant powers make a return here} and serves as the leading form of security for the new nation of mutants."

Last edited by Splash; November 11th, 2021 at 03:03 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library