Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Unit Rankings: 70 Point Squads

By popular request!

The field of 70 point Squads is an embarrassment of riches-- half of them are regular contenders at tournaments. Why is this so? What is it about 70 points that makes a Squad of high quality? What's wrong with my 80 point Monks? But I digress...

I invite you to rank the 70 point Squads from first to worst, based on your own personal experiences with them. And if the feeling strikes you, please note your reasons for any particular ranking. Then feel free to debate with your fellow posters. Here's the list of 70 point Squads (with average scores as of post #20):

4th Massachussetts Line = 1.7
1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 4, 2, 1, 5, 1, 2,
Knights of Weston = 1.9
2, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 1, 1, 3, 1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 2, 5,
Heavy Gruts = 3.1
3, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 6, 3, 5, 4, 2, 3, 3, 2, 3, 1,
Axegrinders of the Burning Forge = 4.5
5, 7, 5, 4, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 5, 1, 3, 5, 4, 3, 4, 7,
Capuan Gladiators = 4.9
4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 7, 5, 6, 5, 4, 6, 5, 7, 6, 4, 7, 3,
Aubrien Archers = 5.8
6, 6, 4, 6, 5, 5, 7, 7, 3, 7, 4, 6, 6, 7, 8, 5, 6,
Mohican River Tribe = 6.1
7, 8, 7, 7, 7, 4, 6, 5, 7, 6, 7, 7, 4, 5, 6, 6, 4,
Zettian Guards = 7.4
8, 3, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 3, 8, 8, 7, 8, 8,

Last edited by Elginb; October 6th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
Gets It!!!

Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Xn F M wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Unit Rankings: 70 Point Squads

4rth - this one's an obvious fist pick

Knights - we all know these guys are rock-solid, and unless you're going to try to make a metagame argument. There's no competition.

Gruts - I'm going to say gruts>gladiators. The Heavies are suitable to more builds and can match the gladiators 4/4 stats (well, one or two per OM can anyway).

Gladiators - These guys are beefy, no question, but they need Spartacus and his cost is all that holds them back.

Dwarves - I've tried these guys a couple times now and they die, alot. If it were easier for them to get that +1 defense I think I'd rate them much higher.

Aubrians - I don't have these guys yet, but based on the vibe I get from the community, I think they're better than the Mohicans have been in my games.

Mohicans - Like the Dwarves my mohicans die better than they kill. I'm not ready to say they're trash yet, but only b/c MM has shown us that they can win.

Zettians - I like these guys, I really do. But they're a small, unique squad with a hero-killing special ability that isn't very good at killing heros. Plus they're slow (unless you invest 80-90 points in Saylind or Warden 817). I really want to rate these guys higher; but unless they get some synergy more powerful than what they already have they're just bad.

This is a bit of an interesting "bracket." There's five bonding squads in the mix so there's quite a bit of influence from outside factors, and there's also a lagre number of top quality units.

I don't need no instructions to know how to rock.

Last edited by Xn F M; October 2nd, 2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: cleaned up messy post
Old October 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

KoW - After a game against Myst9, where the KoW pretty much trashed his Venoc/VW/Armoc/Raelin army by themselves, I'm a believer in these guys' capabilities.
4th - I REALLY like these guys. I personally don't find them to be dominant in my games.
Zettians - It might be just me, but I seem to roll well with these little guys(Like the game where they took out Iron Man by themselves.
Gruts - Bonding with Chompy? Me likey these guys!
Glads - I've proxied these guys, and they ROCK SO HARD!
Aubrians - I don't have these guys, but I think that they would work better for me than the Dwarves or Mohicans(I seem to roll well with low-defense people).
Dwarves - Don't have these guys either.
Mohicans - ANNNNNDDD......I don't have these guys.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

1. 4th Mass. - What did you expect?

2. Knights of Weston - Could be #1, but lack of range and dependance on Gilbert keep them out of the top spot.

3. Heavy Gruts - 2 good bonding options, and more beef than their "blade" weilding cousins. Wish I owned more than one squad.

4. Aubrien Archers - Fear the frenzy.

5. Axegrinders - Strategic bonding is cool. Unless your wanting a change or playing a theme, 2 or 3 are better melee options.

6. Capuans - Steamroller baby! Unless your running steamroller, there are better options.

7. Mohicans - I really want to like these guys. However, their "after the fact" bonding is more of a hinderance than a help, and they die too quickly.

8. Zettians - 2 man unique squad thats not really good = Epic Fail.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

4th Mass

Knights

Gruts

Dwarves

Gladiators

Aubrien

Moicans

Zettians
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:26 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

4th Mass

Knights

Gruts

Gladiators

Archers

Dwarves

Moicans

Zettians

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

4th Massachussetts Line
Knights of Weston
Heavy Gruts
Mohican River Tribe
Aubrien Archers
Axegrinders of the Burning Forge
Capuan Gladiators
Zettian Guards

I think pretty much everything that can be said about these squads has been said, except maybe the Aubriens. I think they get a bum wrap because there's only 3 of them, they're swingy, and the 4th Mass exist and now the Mohicans. But, 7 range is good.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 2nd, 2009, 03:41 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

1. 4th Mass - Great on their own, or mixed with knights, or as "wave 2" of a army fronted by a big hero.
  2. Knights - I'm giving them the nod over the Gruts because I'm more comfortable with 4 defense that can't be taken away than bunching around champions. Work great when combined with a special attacker.
  3. Gruts - Continued use of smaller maps may elevate the "Raenak" build past the knights. Disengage delivers a big blow to a rat-heavy metagame.
  4. Axegrinders - There's a big dropoff in my mind after the Heavies, but the Dwarves are probably next. As average point values go up, dragons and majors will become more common, and that means the Axegrinders become better and better. D&D will deliver at least one more hero for them, with more probably to follow.
  5. Gladiators - 9 squaddies at 500 points, with no ranged support or special attacks, is just not going to get it done consistently against well-played common squad armies. Still, these guys can hit hard and win big when they win.
  6. Mohicans - I'm still not sold on these guys, but I think they've supplanted Aubriens as the ranged support of choice if you're playing vipers.
  7. Aubriens - see above. On a good day, they're a poor man's 4th Mass, and it's not always a good day.
  8. Zettians - barring some extreme drafting scenarios, these guys just arent's worth it.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:18 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

I defit. would like to get in on this. This is without reading any other ratings:

4th Massachussetts Line - 1st
Pretty obvious one. The 4th Mass have racked up their share of victories and I can tell you first hand that it almost feels unfair when you're playing with 5 squads of 4th Mass.

Heavy Gruts - 2nd place
A lot of debate surrounds these guys with who is the best melee squad. I'm giving the spot to the Gruts due to their recent tournament success. I can only see good things for Grimnak/Raelin/Heavy Grut combos. They may become even more popular with Nerak's release.

Knights of Weston - 3rd place
The Knights are very good and honestly if you had to ask me next week I might have the Knights at #2 again. Sir Gilbert is arguably the best bonding champion in the game. (Me-Burq-Sa and Grimnak are pretty good though). They excel versus Stinger based armies and give the big bad Major Q9 fits. I love to pair these guys with a hard hitting ranged unit.(AE, Krav, or Nilfheim anyone?)

Axegrinders of the Burning Forge - 4th place
70 points if pretty deep in this game. The dwarves are a pretty good squad that I believe have not reached their full potential yet. A squad of 4 with bonding can't be overlooked especially with another possible dwarf champion on the horizon. As long as big scary monsters are in the tournament scene (Q9, Nilf, Brax, Grimnak) the dwarves will have no problem knocking them down a a peg or two.

Mohican River Tribe - 5th place
A unit that does a little bit of everything. The River Tribe are extremely versatile and reward patience with a hint of aggression. Brave Arrow is a bargain! Major Q9 is ridiculous against these guys though.

Capuan Gladiators - 6th place
More proof at how deep 70 points is as the Capuan Gladiators are actually a pretty decent squad. Their worth increases as starting point totals do. These guys are absolute beasts. If nothing else they are a nightmare for hero based armies with no Reaver protection such as Vydar ranged. Squadscape prevents them dominating the playing field.

Aubrien Archers - 7th place
With frenzy I believe you'll average about 4 attacks a turn with these guys. Thats not to shabby though it means that the 4th Mass are strictly on average better then the Archers. If you like gambling though I'm sure you could have a blast with these guys at a tournament.

Zettian Guards - 8th place
The only two man squad in the game. I suppose if you needed filler and didn't have enough starting spaces you could do worse. Their low attack power and low movement put them at the bottom of this list.

Grenade lobbyist
Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:47 PM

Yaish knows what's in an order marker Yaish knows what's in an order marker

Knights of Weston - Personally I've had the most success with these guys, but I never play them alone. I also usually play them with...

4th Massachussetts Line - A natural fit with the KoW, and since I only have two squads I can't make those big 4th Mass armies that others play. Still, probably the best common ranged units in the game.

Aubrien Archers
- With hot D20 rolls, these guys are sick. I've had them run across the board, take the height, and kill whole squads off in the process. They do go down quickly if you can catch them sleeping or get in range quick enough.

Axegrinders of the Burning Forge
- As the melee part of an army they rock. Pair with snipers and Migol for some Deadly Strike fun.

Capuan Gladiators - They'd be better if they were more versatile in different builds, or if the steamroller could handle multi-player free for alls. Still, at fifth on the list they are probably better than many other squads that cost more.

Heavy Gruts - I don't have any of these guys, but wish I did. I like the Orc armies I just don't have the numbers to make it work yet.

Mohican River Tribe - I know why there was only one Mohican left. These guys die off too quickly. Cool special, but easily bypassed. Thematically fun to play against the 10th Reg though, even the specials seem to want those units to face each other.

Zettian Guards - They were a go-to unit, when I only had the master set. I haven't played them in I can't remember how long. Maybe if the DW's were better they'd see more play.

Last edited by Yaish; October 2nd, 2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:23 PM

Lucas the beast is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Knights of Weston These guys have great stats and great heroes to bond with.

4th Mass They are a very powerful ranged squad and can take down whatever your opponent throws at you. These guys are rated below the Knights due to no bonding.

Heavy Gruts Like the Knights but one less defense die that they need to be next to their orc champion to get. Also their heroes aren’t quite as strong as the knights.

Capuan Gladiators. These guys are the toughest 70 point squad (when they are paired with Spartacus) However they are only a three person melee squad. Who has to have a 200 point figure to be useful.

Axegrinders of Burning Forge In my eyes the Dwarves seem to fill a Niche role of being huge/large figures. They also only have one hero to bond with, granted Migol is pretty tough.

Mohican River Tribe Probably one of the coolest abilities in the game is concealment and it is also pretty effective. The Braves are not the strongest ranged squad but they can adapt to almost anything.

Aubrien Archers A three person ranged squad that has two attack two defense and no easy way to boost them. Paired with a really unreliable ability.

Zettian Guards I have NEVER seen these guys earn their points they are absolutely terrible on offence and ok on defense.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:24 PM

That Guy0715 is surprisingly tart

Axegrinders
4th
KOW
AA
Gruts
Capuans
Mohicans
Zettians

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units