Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games
Contests and Forum Games Create, Participate, or Vote in a contest or Forum game here

View Poll Results: Which Map looks like the most fun?
Unnamed Map 2 5 5.15%
Unnamed Map 1 2 2.06%
The Father and Son Islands 3 3.09%
Unnamed Map 3 18 18.56%
Kilgarren Crossing 9 9.28%
The WaterFall 4 4.12%
Ancient Lookout 48 49.48%
Global Warming 8 8.25%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 16th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Meta-Map Contest Voting Thread 1 - Pictures

PLACE YOUR VOTE!
Be sure to check out the other Meta-Map Voting Threads.

To get to the Voting Thread Index click here.

Unnamed Map 2

Unnamed Map 1

The Father and Son Islands

Unnamed Map 3

Kilgarren Crossing

The Waterfall

Ancient Lookout

Global Warming
Old September 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM

BilboAtBagEnd Woo who?
Unnamed Map 2

A very symmetrical map, and will require two master sets due to the dual small ruins in the middle. If all the tress are height 11, then this requires 2 RTTF. I have nothing against symmetrical maps, and like both symmetrical and asymmetrical maps.

If the starting area is at the top of the two little ritual mounds then this is an interesting exercise in aiming through LOS. There is still area on the edges for melee units to run straight through---I really would prefer a river there for a barrier, but the map is long enough to make up for some of this. If you place a glyph in the ruins, then it will be a strange fight in the middle---a sort of push of war, or someone getting trapped in the ruins with enemies on both sides (especially if they are engaged).

The pools surrounding the mounds give a nice look. A good place for Marro Warriors to shelter, which may or may not be something that one likes.

Unnamed Map 1

Very square, so probably works best with starting positions at the corners to make maximum use of the longest part of a square. Starting at the upper left and lower right corners (in reference to this picture) will give a nice run for melee units to clash very quickly. The tree in the middle is good for blocking direct LOS, requiring contact if you're going to work that close to the middle.

There looks to be height on the little hills to either side. The walls are useful for ranged units, and the river on the borders slows down small unit melee access except through the middle, a useful feature that many scenarios, official and non-offcial, have. The place for the two glyphs is also nice---not too sheltered, and requires some maneuvering to get to.

The Father and Son Islands

Fire and Ice!

A very unique map. This map should be played with the rule that characters can't see nor shoot through empty spaces (e.g., between the two lower peninsulas). Easy access is cut off by the in the middle. Both sides have weaknesses to defend from the other. Leaping the little wall on the bridge is pretty much a necessity to bring in a lot of troops to one side or the other. You may want to consider either placing a glyph of Ravenning to kill flying, or to restrict the drafting of flying units altogether.

Unnamed Map 3

Difficult to judge without seeing the other side or more of the map. I suppose starting spaces would be in the lower left corner and the upper right corner. There is an extremely nice overhang/shelf here, and I like the little island underneath. I'm not sure if this is buildable with a single master set, as the map has a lot of height to it, but it's quite possible. The river is a good barrier. The road steps up the cliffs (which I assume are also on the other side) is a very good addition to offset the height of the shelf. A nice glyph on the top perhaps.

Kilgarren Crossing

Ah! Very obvious starting places. Nice river and height barrier on each side. Road access ensures a good fight in the middle, with trees for strategic cover. Not the most unique map, but soundly designed.

The Waterfall

Talk about hot lava death! There's no easy acess from either side. There's a choke point between the bridge and the iceberg wall where units can fight. The left side will want Dzu-teh to glacier traverse through the ice wall. The right side needs lava units to get through to the bridge. Normal units on the left side will want to get into the water or the grass (or the ice if snow if they can get to it). This is a unique skirmish map.

Ancient Lookout

This also has a VirtualScape pdf in the downloads section. I have played on this map numerous times---it is very fun. The bridge (it's hard to see in the picture) is double-width, which is a very good feature for a bridge to have to enable decent melee fights on it rather than "push of war". The river has a good hiding place for snakes (under the bridge). The tower on the left is an almost-good place for Taelord (to enhance warriors below) and a definite good place for Deadeye Dan. This is balanced out by the fact that there's only two spots on the tower that are at different heights from each other, and the tower is difficult to climb. A rain of death from big figures with range attacks or a large team of ranged units is unlikely before melee units start charging over the bridge from the other side (which has better melee access).

Global Warming

I like this map for some reason. It's VERY compact, I love the 4-way crossing rivers, and the icebergs on the corners are somehow very fitting. This map does not need any glyphs and I'm not sure where I would put them. Very obvious starting spaces. Good LOS blocking by the trees, which in conjunction with the four-way river, leads to interesting fights in the middle (with a larger than usual definition of "middle"). Traversal around the icebergs is probably best made complicated by "heavy snow" rules. The rivers make racing to block off iceberg access intersting.

My Final Vote

Ancient Lookout gets the win from me. This is followed by Global Warming---an asymmetrical and a symmetrical choice, and I prefer asymmetrical. Both will invite good fights, I think, between 450pt forces.
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:17 PM
52nd runner up - Miss UK Pageant

robaula has disabled reputation
I voted for Kilgarren Crossing. I like the idea of the bridge, and the strategic value it holds. A simple map, maybe similar to loads of other ones out there, but my favourite nevertheless.
Old September 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
I really like unnamed three, but I am pretty big on caves. It would be nice to see the map from another angle as well, but it does seem to offer some good possibilities.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Gorgoeous, small-tight maps! Ancient Lookout looks a lot of fun, but I went with Unamed Map 3.
What is up with the 'spots' on the father son islands? It didn't detract from my decisions, but I'm just curious. Glue?
Old September 16th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Gorgoeous, small-tight maps! Ancient Lookout looks a lot of fun, but I went with Unamed Map 3.
What is up with the 'spots' on the father son islands? It didn't detract from my decisions, but I'm just curious. Glue?
Tablecloth I assume.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:21 PM

geddy lifeson has disabled reputation
As stated I did vote for unnamed3, but nether did state in his original posting
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Be sure to send along a description of your map and come up with a cool name for it. Any scenario you send will not be tested, I will only be playing a Kill-Em-All game on all maps.
. I think for the unnamed maps, the designer should still have to come up with a name.

You can surrender without a prayer, but never really pray without surrender
You can fight without ever winning, but never ever win without a fight
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:43 PM

ChaosChild has disabled reputation
I'm going with The Father and Sons Islands. I'm not quite sure where both starting zones are but, it looks like crazy fun to play.

Kumiko is not impressed with your sculpt, either.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
Tablecloth I assume.
Ah, I see it now.
Old September 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM

dickflea Woo who?
Anicent lookout......i'm a sucker for the underground caves and stuff like that.
Old September 17th, 2006, 11:31 AM

CornPuff knows what's in an order marker CornPuff knows what's in an order marker
Kilgarren crossing! Yay for roads and high ground~

I almost went with global warming, but high ground in the corners seperated by water? I thinks there's not much reason to go to the middle.
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
I wanted to vote for Ancient Lookout, but it's hard to tell how well balanced the two starting points would be so I picked Kilgarren Crossing.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Contests and Forum Games