Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Units and Spell Cards
Official Units and Spell Cards Discussion of official AotP units and spell cards

Notices

Old July 23rd, 2015, 05:48 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
The Book of Jace Beleren, Mindmage

The Book of Jace Beleren, Mindmage
Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers master set

Quote:
FOCUSED THOUGHTS
Look at the top card of your library. You may put that card on the bottom of your library. Use this ability once per turn.

MIND STEALER
At the end of Jace's turn, you may choose target Planeswalker within 4 clear sight spaces of Jace. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you control that Planeswalker and you may use abilities, move, and attack with the Planeswalker. Afterward, return control of the Planeswalker.
-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - TBA

-Combinations and Synergies-
  • - TBA

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - TBA

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - TBA

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • - TBA

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Last edited by quozl; August 5th, 2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old July 28th, 2015, 01:13 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Jace Beleren, Mindmage

Although I don't have my game yet, Jace has already become my favorite Planeswalker to want to play! As a sort of Trickster god, he's also liable to cause the most annoyance to other players.

It strikes me that one of the most important functions of controlling another Planeswalker will be just to use up some of the other's best cards.

Last edited by chas; July 29th, 2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

I guess I am easily confused.

MIND STEALER
At the end of Jace's turn, you may choose target Planeswalker within 4 clear sight spaces of Jace. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you control that Planeswalker and you may use abilities, move and attack with the Planeswalker. Afterward, return control of the Planeswalker.

Does this power apply whenever it is the Blue Planeswalkers turn, or does it apply only on turns when the Jace army card has been selected to become active?

I am guessing that it is always active because of this power from Illusionary Projections that says:

ILLUSIONARY DECEPTION
At the start of the turn of a blue Planeswalker you control, you may exchange the space locations of that Planeswalker and an Illusionary Projection you control. Neither figure takes leaving engagement attacks if engaged.

Since the army card to be activated is not selected until the 3 step of the of the turn, ILLUSIONARY DECEPTION must trigger before selecting an army card.

In other words, are Jace's turn and the blue Planeswalkers turn synonymous for this purpose?

Suppose there is a duel of Jace vs Jace. MIND STEALER as written would seem to allow both Jace's to use it, though that almost certainly is not the intent.
Old July 29th, 2015, 12:25 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

The planeswalker doesn't get a turn until you select its army card. Mind Stealer is an active power so it must be using during Jace's turn. Illusionary Deception is a passive power and is also used during Jace's turn.

Quote:
Old July 29th, 2015, 04:37 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Can I use the power Focused Thoughts on my opponent's turn?

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old July 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Warlord View Post
Can I use the power Focused Thoughts on my opponent's turn?
It can only be used when Jace is activated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules: Page 7
You can only use activated abilities from the army card you chose. For example, you can only use Liliana's Snuff Out ability on a turn in which you choose Liliana.
~Aldin, using passive abilities all the time

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 31st, 2015, 01:10 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

All my kids wanna be Jace. Thank goodness for the rule that says "roll the d20 to see who picks their planeswalker first..."

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 2nd, 2016, 08:38 AM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

Jace is now my new favorite Planeswalker for this game. The Blue deck is all about disruption, which buys you time to get Jace to higher ground. After that he can 2-shot mostly everything. He's the walker to beat in our house.

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old January 6th, 2016, 09:28 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I love Jace. I've played him 3-4 times so far and he's always done well. In fact, other than Jace I think I've only played with Nyssa once and the white guy once. I think Jace has pulled a win out of the FFA scenario 3 times now--at least 2 for sure. Pretty good rate.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 7th, 2022, 04:31 PM
Casing the Corners

toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

A few intertwined questions:
Quote:
MIND STEALER
At the end of Jace's turn, you may choose target Planeswalker within 4 clear sight spaces of Jace. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, you control that Planeswalker and you may use abilities, move, and attack with the Planeswalker. Afterward, return control of the Planeswalker.
Does Mind Stealer allow you to use Activated Abilities while you control the chosen Planeswalker?
I would think so, otherwise, why would it mention abilities?

Here is Mind Control, and its FAQ. Mind control is "move and attack," but not abilities:
Quote:
Mind Control
Sorcery

You may move and attack with target squad creature an opponent controls that is within 4 clear sight spaces of a blue Planeswalker you control.
Spoiler Alert!

The FAQ is odd, because it claims you are taking control of the figure, even though the power doesn't say that outside of its name. Is that because you can't move and attack with figures you don't control?

The FAQ for Mind Control also states no using Activated Abilities. I'm assuming you may still use static and passive abilities, like Flying.

If Mind Control specifies "move and attack," and Mind Stealer specifies "abilities, move, and attack," does that indicate that "abilities" in Mind Stealer covers all eligible abilities?

When you choose a Planeswalker for Mind Stealer, is that essentially the same thing choosing a Planeswalker on Action 2?

Is "use abilities, move and attack" the same thing as taking a "turn" with that Planeswalker? Or are you just being allowed a selection of actions to take?

The two Activated Abilities the rule books identify are these, which have a key difference: Snuff Out is "once per turn," and Transform is "At the end of Arlinn Kord's turn"
Quote:
SNUFF OUT
Destroy target squad creature that has 1 or more damage markers and is within 6 clear sight spaces of Liliana. Use this ability once per turn.
Quote:
TRANSFORM
At the end of Arlinn Kord's turn, you may transform her into Arlinn, Moon-Blessed. If you do, replace the Arlinn Kord figure with the Arlinn, Moon-Blessed figure.
So when Mind Steal is used on Liliana, have I "activated" her, allowing me to use Snuff Out, because it's an open ended "once per turn?"

If so, can I use Transform? Or can I not because I haven't met the "Arlinn Kord's turn" requirement?

Thanks!
Old April 7th, 2022, 05:49 PM

I would say yes to both.

Quote:
Old April 8th, 2022, 03:27 PM
Casing the Corners

toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness toyhandle wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like that answer. Simplest is best. Thanks Quozl!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > Official Units and Spell Cards