Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old June 7th, 2016, 10:18 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: McMeeple's Custom Building Terrain - Pizza Joint

Added the pizza shop in its finished form:

Old June 7th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

EDIT: That is really nice looking. Turtle Power!

Great idea for the stairs!

That is a really cool concept.

Nice tips from Grish. He is dead on about making sure the doors are properly placed.

For determining height on my maps I have a ruler with the levels marked. It is a simple mater to set it next to a figure and figure out what level they are on.
In the case of the ramps I think I would just mark the height on the ramp.

Grish is right about it starting to alter the rules and I suspect for that reason it will likely not be approved for C3G use but that does not mean we cannot build them for ourselves.

Pulling Grish back in is the best.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 7th, 2016, 12:40 PM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
EDIT: That is really nice looking. Turtle Power!

Great idea for the stairs!

That is a really cool concept.

Nice tips from Grish. He is dead on about making sure the doors are properly placed.

For determining height on my maps I have a ruler with the levels marked. It is a simple mater to set it next to a figure and figure out what level they are on.
In the case of the ramps I think I would just mark the height on the ramp.

Grish is right about it starting to alter the rules and I suspect for that reason it will likely not be approved for C3G use but that does not mean we cannot build them for ourselves.

Pulling Grish back in is the best.
I have been stewing on the ramps all morning (I am OCD on things like this). It seems to me if we have the ramp go up 6 levels over 4 tiles we can say that each hex is 1.5 higher. I know half hexes are silly in a way, but it would still dictate what level you are. One could even put tiny numbers on the hexes so you can just see it on the board. 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6.

Major problem though, it messes with movement. ideally it would be 1 hexes up per one hex over. But for me a 6 level ramp (1-story) would take 6 hexes. That seems kind of long, though realistic. I suppose a loading dock would only be half a story or something. so maybe it would work ok.

It just depends on the pitch you go for It seems you want something somewhat subtle. Might have to toy with this.
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:32 PM

BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker

Holy Smokes Batman! So much engineering that goes into making these buildings. Recently I've been getting into the Batman Miniature Game (If you haven't heard of it please go take a look. Some of the boards built for it look fantastic.) and when I build terrain pieces or buildings for it I've been trying my best to make sure they still fit and work within the Heroscape rules. Such as for story levels I've been sticking to the 2.25" height and generally multiples of 3.5" for width. Grish's buildings use a 7x7.25" base I believe but I've fudged mine a bit and gone with a 7x7 to make things a bit easier and more modular. That way I can keep the roofs detachable so I can rotate it. It also cuts down on number of files to design when making things modular and open for different buildings using the same textures.

Im trying to figure out a way to create stairs that can turn at an angle for my Arkham City GCPD building. In one direction I can use half hexes with each step going up the same height as a ladder would but when it turns 90 degrees it doesn't work anymore. Anybody have any suggestions?
Old June 7th, 2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThumbToe View Post
Holy Smokes Batman! So much engineering that goes into making these buildings. Recently I've been getting into the Batman Miniature Game (If you haven't heard of it please go take a look. Some of the boards built for it look fantastic.) and when I build terrain pieces or buildings for it I've been trying my best to make sure they still fit and work within the Heroscape rules. Such as for story levels I've been sticking to the 2.25" height and generally multiples of 3.5" for width. Grish's buildings use a 7x7.25" base I believe but I've fudged mine a bit and gone with a 7x7 to make things a bit easier and more modular. That way I can keep the roofs detachable so I can rotate it. It also cuts down on number of files to design when making things modular and open for different buildings using the same textures.

Im trying to figure out a way to create stairs that can turn at an angle for my Arkham City GCPD building. In one direction I can use half hexes with each step going up the same height as a ladder would but when it turns 90 degrees it doesn't work anymore. Anybody have any suggestions?
it's surprising really. this is why i started with such a simple structure (the pizza shop). Getting rolling and fully understanding the process is a big task. And now, looking at rolling out the complete plans for a 3 part building is a bigger task then one might expect....hence the love i am sending towards Grish for all his work over the years. Certainly makes me appreciate him and the C3G.

EDIT: I have pondered rotatable roofs as well. And I like the idea of buildings that can rotate. but that does mess with the hex layout.
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:02 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Rotatable roofs is one of the things I have been working on as well. My goal is to make each wall interchangable so if I want a building at the corner with glass on two sides or a building with no windows on three sides but a storefront on one side or I want a large roll up door in the alley I can build it with minimal pieces that store flat. Still a concept that needs more work but I have ran a few prototypes that are pretty cool. It also allows me to make a generic building that can have the front panel exchanged to change the building from a bank to a restaurant to a nightclub to whatever.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Rotatable roofs is one of the things I have been working on as well. My goal is to make each wall interchangable so if I want a building at the corner with glass on two sides or a building with no windows on three sides but a storefront on one side or I want a large roll up door in the alley I can build it with minimal pieces that store flat. Still a concept that needs more work but I have ran a few prototypes that are pretty cool. It also allows me to make a generic building that can have the front panel exchanged to change the building from a bank to a restaurant to a nightclub to whatever.
Now that is a great idea. Have a set of parts that you can assemble as needed. Very much in the spirit of Heroscape.

I have pondered having some sort of magnetic front to my buildings. And using printable magnet sheets to create the front...so I can overlay stuff on them.

But in the end, for me anyway, it doesn't matter too much about the building. its mostly an obstacle to climb on, hide behind, land on and so on. Its really mostly thematic.

I hear you on the store flat.
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:26 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmeeple View Post
Quote:
Now that is a great idea. Have a set of parts that you can assemble as needed. Very much in the spirit of Heroscape.

I have pondered having some sort of magnetic front to my buildings. And using printable magnet sheets to create the front...so I can overlay stuff on them.

But in the end, for me anyway, it doesn't matter too much about the building. its mostly an obstacle to climb on, hide behind, land on and so on. Its really mostly thematic.

I hear you on the store flat.
I thought about the magnetic front as well. Although I will have to make Foamcore versions for C3G, I'll likely make some out of wood for myself. I was debating it a few months ago before I first saw yours. Your work inspired me to go for it.

Quote:

Loved your GCPD building and I've been working on a tillable city for C3G going on two years now. Once I get a finalized version I'm going to put it on some thin mdf or chipboard for more rigidity.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old June 7th, 2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I thought about the magnetic front as well. Although I will have to make Foamcore versions for C3G, I'll likely make some out of wood for myself. I was debating it a few months ago before I first saw yours. Your work inspired me to go for it.
You can see here how I structure mine. I use 1/4" MDF and most anything for the corner support. Tool wise I glue everything and use a pin nailer (nail gun that shoots tiny needle like nails) to hold it until it dries. They are strong enough for me to stand on (literally). I like that i don't have to worry that my kids will destroy them. and if I get tired of the design i can just pull the artwork off and replace it.

Tools/supplies needed:
- table saw
- miter saw (optional, but really helpful)
- pin nailer
- wood glue
- 1/4" MDF

Once you get cranking you can produce them quickly. I made 4 1 story buildings in about 1.5 hours (sans artwork). I just ripped out a bunch of 2" high strips and cut to length. I think it took longer because my kids kept distracting me

Old June 7th, 2016, 04:07 PM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Do you have files for that you can share/post?

I would love to see a pic of those stairs, they have troubled me as well.
What would be cool would be a castle wall pillar that has the 'ridges' for ladders on all six sides. Then you could just place single hexes wrapping around it, a circular staircase.
That may be something that could be done with a 3D printer.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:37 PM

BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker BigThumbToe knows what's in an order marker

This is what I'm going for
Spoiler Alert!

and this is where I'm at. Ive cut the holes that allow the passages through the upper floors aswell
Spoiler Alert!

I know it doesn't look like much yet. Nothings glued as I'm still working out the dimensions and placement. So far it lays out fairly well with the hex grid. I threw Ra's in there for scale. Itll be pretty big once its done. Definitely the center piece of a map.
Old June 7th, 2016, 05:38 PM

I have a few pieces that look just like that. I really needed to just put stuff together and 'see it' and then modify from there.
I am still not sure if I follow what you want to do with the stairs.
Do you have a pic of those?

Check out this link Porkins found for fences.

- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles