Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 16th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
White Knight's Maps -- Input wanted on Deep River Bridges

Deep River BridgesUses: 1 RotV, 1FotA, 1 BftU
3x glyphs are random

DOWNLOAD PDF

Comments:
I've heard people say that it's hard to create a competitive BoV map with the Fortress Set that does not favor Range. I took that as a challenge and came up with Deep River Bridges. The top level has some choke points, but it's hard to hold both sides at once. The glyphs give incentive to drop to the river below.

Glacier Creek
Uses: 1 RotV, 1x RttFF, 1TT
Normal snow and ice

DOWNLOAD PDF

Pictures of Glacier Creek
Spoiler Alert!

Comments
Spoiler Alert!

Knight's Canyon Road
Uses: 1 RotV, 1RttFF

Download PDF

This is one of my entries for the 2012 Tournament Map Contest.
Spoiler Alert!

Glacier Pass
Uses: 1 RotV, 1TT
Normal snow and ice.

Download PDF

This is my 2nd entry for the 2012 Tournament Map Contest.

Spoiler Alert!

If anyone has suggestions for ways to improve the maps, let me know.

Last edited by White Knight; October 24th, 2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Added pictures of Glacier Creek
Old May 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: White Knight's Custom Battlefields

Both your maps entered in R˙chean's contest caught my eye (in a good way ).

I really like Knight's Canyon Road, but I'm wondering why you opted not to use the ruins? It's a pretty long map, and the cover they offer would usually be well used. It looks to me that they might serve well placed on top of the level 2 24-hex rock plates. That would help give this map three strong routes to choose from-down the center you'd have road, to the right you'd have a level 3 plateau, and to the left would be the best cover. I know their different sizes can present some difficulty balancing them, but they might work like this (with an extra tile added where the gray circle is, assuming that you have one available):

They'll offer about the same amount of cover, and affect the flow of movement about the same when positioned like that.

Also, for Glacier Pass, I noticed that you have two unused grass 7-hex plates. You might want to add them to the voids in the first level to connect the three islands.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old May 21st, 2012, 04:47 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!
Re: White Knight's Custom Battlefields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Both your maps entered in R˙chean's contest caught my eye (in a good way ).

I really like Knight's Canyon Road, but I'm wondering why you opted not to use the ruins? It's a pretty long map, and the cover they offer would usually be well used.
Thanks for the input Killometer. I usually don't like to use the ruins because their different sizes do (maybe only slightly) unbalance the map. But I can see them being useful for melee on Knight's Canyon Road, and your placement does seem to offer almost balanced cover. Not only that, but they make the side edges of the map more useful.

I'll have to playtest with and without them to see how they affect the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Also, for Glacier Pass, I noticed that you have two unused grass 7-hex plates. You might want to add them to the voids in the first level to connect the three islands.
Good catch--somehow I completely forgot about them! I built the map without them and it's still very stable, but I do like to fill in underneath when I can.
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Re: White Knight's Maps -- Input wanted on Deep River Bridge

I added a new map:
Deep River Bridges
Uses: 1 RotV, 1FotA, 1 BftU
3x glyphs are random

DOWNLOAD PDF

Comments:
I've heard people say that it's hard to create a competitive BoV map with the Fortress Set that does not favor Range. I took that as a challenge and came up with Deep River Bridges. The top level has some choke points, but it's hard to hold both sides at once. The glyphs give incentive to drop to the river below.

Feedback Desired!
I'm very interested in feedback for this map. It is my latest attempt at producing a competitive level map.

I've done some playtesting and the map seems pretty balanced. I still need to try some melee armies. The glyphs can be powerful, but to hold the glyphs means being shot at from above.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by White Knight; October 10th, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old October 10th, 2012, 01:57 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

I've experimented with using the Castle Set to hold up other terrain long ago. You've inspired me to give it another go! Here's your map with a bit more light:

Old October 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

I really like Deep River Bridges. Interesting, and I'd build it if I didn't have maps set up to go to NHSD. I'll definitely build it after.
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM

ShadowWater is surprisingly tart

This is a really cool map concept, but I have a couple comments. First, the map doesn't look super stable as it is right now -- maybe some of the pillars should be moved from the center to the sides for more support there. Also, I think range has a huge advantage over melee due to being able to shoot across the center gap or onto the bridges from the relative security of their own side.

I still think it's an awesome idea, but I think it could still use a little development.

Old October 10th, 2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWater View Post
This is a really cool map concept, but I have a couple comments. First, the map doesn't look super stable as it is right now -- maybe some of the pillars should be moved from the center to the sides for more support there. Also, I think range has a huge advantage over melee due to being able to shoot across the center gap or onto the bridges from the relative security of their own side.
Thanks for the feedback. I've built this twice already, and it's pretty sturdy. The pillars are on 4 opposing edges of each of the 27 hex pieces.

2 Build Suggestions
1) Don't build it on a rug. Build it on a hard table or a board. I built mine on a foam board, and it's very stable.

2) Use the ladder pieces as shown in the build instructions to hold the pillars to the 27 hex pieces. It works very well. Without the ladder pieces, the pillars sometimes fall.

Yes, ranged figures can fire over the gap. Melee figures should take the bridges or drop and get the glyphs down below. Or they can hold back and wait for the range to come to them. Only ranged units should be standing in the middle close to the edges.

I'm guessing that Knights and the WoA builds will have the hardest time here (take more strategy to use).
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Well, if you've built it IRL, I guess I can't argue stability .
Yeah, KoW and WoA would be tough. I guess gruts probably wouldn't work particularly well either. I just know that personally I'd never give up height advantage with a significant force for a glyph (unless it was Ivor or maybe Jalgard), and if only 1-2 figures went for it they'd get pulverized pretty quickly.

Last edited by ShadowWater; October 10th, 2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: duh grammerz >.<
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Well, if you've built it IRL, I guess I can't argue stability .
Yeah, KoW and WoA would be tough. I guess gruts probably wouldn't work particularly well either. I just know that personally I'd never give up height advantage with a significant force for a glyph (unless it was Ivor or maybe Jalgard), and if only 1-2 figures went for it they'd get pulverized pretty quickly.
My first few games on it, I selected randomly from the Attack +1, Unique Attack +1, Common Attack +1, Summon, Wound, and Defense +1 glyphs. Those glyphs are pretty good incentives for risking a figure.

I need to try other figure, but I'll say that the rats didn't mind jumping down into the sewer and getting +1 Attack, +1 Common Attack, and the Wound glyph to help our their Stinger allies!
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM

I suppose with rats anything becomes viable . A glyph pool like that might make me consider jumping screen-type figures down in there, so I guess my previous definitive declaration about "I'd never give up height advantage for a glyph" is invalidated.

Old October 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I suppose with rats anything becomes viable . A glyph pool like that might make me consider jumping screen-type figures down in there, so I guess my previous definitive declaration about "I'd never give up height advantage for a glyph" is invalidated.
Do you think having a set revealed glyph in the middle would be better (such as Summoning, or Attack +1, or Defense +1)? (So you know what you're going for?)

The sides need to be random so it doesn't imbalance the map.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios