Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old April 12th, 2011, 03:39 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Kids no longer can bring lunch to school?

It appears that kids are no longer given the option of bringing lunch from home? Schools in Chicago are making it mandatory that kids may only purchase school lunches or what, go hungry?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...nal-food-fight

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-public-school

Do we all need a constant nanny?

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.
Old April 12th, 2011, 03:51 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Kids no longer can bring lunch to school?

Oh yeah, I'm sure what the school serves is grade A stuff.

-insert signature here-
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The school is trying to increase their income and that's all there is to it. If I were there, I would meet my kid in the lunch room daily with his lunch.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I suspect that if most of us spent some time in that school we'd still disagree with the decision but would be very sympathetic towards it. My wife works with socioeconomically disadvantaged kids and some of the nutritional tales she tells are stunning. She has kids given candy bars for breakfast and sent to school. Kids that walk in with twinkies and cokes. Single parents that are working two jobs and are just so overwhelmed that they will grab whatever is on their shelves (or at the gas station on the way) and hand it over as food for their children. It doesn't make me angry. It makes me want to weep.

~Aldin, sadly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It is sad Aldin. Those parents need a swift kick in the arse. In stead of trying to bypass the parents, address the the individuals doing these things instead of trying to tell those of us that take care of our children what we can and can't do.

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
It is sad Aldin. Those parents need a swift kick in the arse. In stead of trying to bypass the parents, address the the individuals doing these things instead of trying to tell those of us that take care of our children what we can and can't do.
This is far, far, far easier to say than to do - though I also think it should not be required. But my wife can also attest to horror stories of the crap their parents send them in with. When those "individuals" make up 30-40% of the parents of the school, it gets complicated.

EDIT: Telling points from the story....

Quote:
About 86 percent of the district's students qualify for free or reduced price school lunches because their families live close to the poverty line.
Also, it's important to note that this is the action of a single school and not a citywide decree.

Also, the policy isn't new....
Quote:
Carmona said she created the policy six years ago after watching students bring "bottles of soda and flaming hot chips" on field trips for their lunch

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!

Last edited by jschild; April 12th, 2011 at 04:45 PM.
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Scenariographer

And I understand that. But, educating parents is what needs to be done. I for one have raised my son by myself since he was 6 months old. I am low income and struggle to provide for him and get him things he wants. But i sacrifice alot of myself to do this, so personally, they have no right to tell me anything.

Old April 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraine69 View Post
And I understand that. But, educating parents is what needs to be done. I for one have raised my son by myself since he was 6 months old. I am low income and struggle to provide for him and get him things he wants. But i sacrifice alot of myself to do this, so personally, they have no right to tell me anything.
First, "they" aren't telling you. This is exactly one school. Second, again, educating parents sounds easy, but it is not and ensuring any type of participation is a dream. Again, it's easier said then done. Again, it's stupid to go that far. Just put a list of "zero-tolerance" food and drinks like no sodas, no candy, etc. It'd be far more reasonable and still allow flexibility.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness Serenity wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thank you for the perspective, Aldin. I can see that they are trying to address a problem, but I wouldn't stand for being told what my child must eat. Frankly, most of the schools are serving food that is atrocious.

My son brings his lunch and eats nutritious food that he actually enjoys. When we go shopping, he is part of the experience and picks out some of the food he'll be eating that week with our guidance. This isn't to say that he never picks out less healthy treats, but that he understands that these aren't staples of a normal, healthy diet. Hopefully, this way he'll have the tools he needs to make good choices in the future when he is on his own.

I believe that all schools should have a nutritionist/chef come in and meet with parents, teachers and children at least every other month to talk about what a difference proper nutrition can make in a child's life. Expose them to healthy foods and choices and teach them what a huge difference they can make in health, behavior and ability to learn. I believe most parents, armed with this knowledge and with proper support available will happily make good choices that will benefit the children.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:07 PM

Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness Greyelephant wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Also, it's important to note that this is the action of a single school and not a citywide decree.
You are right that this is the first I've heard of a school banning ALL outside food, but:

Alabama parents protested a school's rule that barred students from bringing any drinks from home, as ice water was provided at lunch. East Syracuse, New York schools have outlawed cupcakes and other desserts. And schools around the country have kicked out chocolate milk and soda vending machines.

I totally agree with banning vending machines, but still frown upon the Alabama's decree of no outside drinks.

Heroscape is a gateway into a wonderful world of games that I never would've known existed otherwise.

Last edited by Greyelephant; April 12th, 2011 at 05:15 PM. Reason: All not any....
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Dr Feelgood

I don't blame them at all for banning drinks. Why? Because I guarentee you 90% of those parents were sending sugary crap with their kids to school. If your child cannot drink water for lunch (plus saving you money) then they are spoiled. Period.

If schools do not bad bad foods, then kids bring crap. This is not supposition, this is a fact. Yes, a few parents will do a good job, but the vast majority will send crap. By banning select items your child can still eat something they like, while eating more healthy food.

Is this ideal? Hell no. In an ideal world, parents would feed their children responsibly. But we don't live in that world. We live in a country where 30-40% of our children are over-weight and to ignore that problem by saying please bring water but if you send your kid with soda, well that's ok just won't cut it.

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
I don't blame them at all for banning drinks. Why? Because I guarentee you 90% of those parents were sending sugary crap with their kids to school. If your child cannot drink water for lunch (plus saving you money) then they are spoiled. Period.

If schools do not bad bad foods, then kids bring crap. This is not supposition, this is a fact. Yes, a few parents will do a good job, but the vast majority will send crap. By banning select items your child can still eat something they like, while eating more healthy food.

Is this ideal? Hell no. In an ideal world, parents would feed their children responsibly. But we don't live in that world. We live in a country where 30-40% of our children are over-weight and to ignore that problem by saying please bring water but if you send your kid with soda, well that's ok just won't cut it.
Then I think they could regulate what can and can not be brought. Not just outlaw it all together. That's simply ridiculous.

I understand that this is an isolated event. However my concern is that it will spread. Big Brother always seems to step in with out really fixing the problem. The problem? Stop letting these people breed!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General