Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Zhoom45 Woo who?
Unorthodox army

Does anyone have a great army that doesn't seem to make sense, (units that are completely unrelated) but is very good? I have been trying to make my own, but they never seem to work very well. Any suggestions?

Zhoom45 is every character in his own little world which no one has heard of, or wants to enter for that matter.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Unorthodox army

Would this work for you?

Sonya 45
Khosumet 120
Blastatrons 180
Shiori 240
Parmenio 330
Zettians 400
Drones 450
Eldgrim 480

As I recall, the Blastatrons ALONE took out ZetaC, and four Badru wolves(Remember that one, Myt9?). I don't remember what other units Myst had, but I do remember him cleaning up the rest of that particular army. Here's another army:

OGs 100
Dund 210
Kiova 300
Runa 420
Izumi 480
Zettians(I love those little guys!) 550
Iskra 600

This army cleaned up Myst9's army of:

7K 100
Morsbane 200
X17 300
ZetaC 360
MWs 410
I can't remember the other units that Myst had, but I do remember the ZGs taking them out. Dund did honorably, Kiova and Iskra cleaned up on the MWs(Myst's last unit), the OGs took out ZetaC and held X17 down, but it was the Zettians who were the stars of the show. These hardy little guys took out:

X17
Morsbane
Myst's unidentifiable units

After that match, I gained a newfound respect for the Zettian Guards' defense!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Oestedb is surprisingly tart

I don't know if it is completely unorthodox, but I like using Marcus Decimus Gallus with either the 10th Reg. or the Einar Imperium. Most people I talk to don't like using MDG without the Romans and their bonding. His point in my army is to give that movement bonus which will help the 10th get on high ground faster so that they can use Wait then Fire sooner, and also to help the EI get a little further each time they use stealth flying. It is nice when ranged units cannot simply stay very far back and have two chances to kill the EI before being engaged. The EI die quickly enough as it is.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoom45 View Post
Any suggestions?
Depends on how eclectic you want to be. Mimring is a unit that can work well with non-beast bonding armies like Knights or Romans. Q9 + Raelin is unorthodox in appearance, but has worked so well, so often it has become the new orthodoxy. 2xMarrden Hounds don't need SuBakNa to be effective and they certainly aren't widely used, but can shine as the melee component of an army. The various cowboys are rare, but can be good in some situations.

How about:
Cyprien 150
Shotgun Sullivan 65
Sonya 45
Marcu 20
2x Sentinels 220

It looks like a mishmash, but the Sentinels are excellent for map control and Cyprien and Sullivan both do well with other units locking down the map. You have a (explosive) ranged special, great anti-dragon ability, and Sentinels to tie down Q9. All soulborg armies will be a problem, but you can't have everything, right?

~Aldin, who never noticed before that there aren't any soulborg melee heavy hitters

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:03 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

185 Zelrig
120 Krug
120 Raelin v2

This is the core. Add shooters and blockers as desired. Zelrig gets no respect (see Dok's blog), but I like this combo. Zelrig fries clumps, Raelin attacks separated units (and, of course, defends), and Krug does what he does. In addition, though, he can pile into squad figures while Zelrig attacks him, frying those unfortunates, and potentially making Krug angry at the same time.

David
Old May 11th, 2009, 07:12 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

The Braxas, Krug, Cyprien army doesn't really have any synergy, but it can find a favorable match-up against almost any single opposing figure/squad. You can add rats or Sonya to make a stronger army, but then it's got synergy and maybe doesn't qualify for the "unorthodox" label.
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:47 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A fairly neat (all unique) army that doesn't seem to naturally fit together is...

Tarn Vikings 50
Marro Warriors 100
Izumi Samurai 160
Krav Maga 260
Syvarris 360
Raelin (ROTV) 440
Zetacron 500

The Tarns, Izumi and (later) the MW form a nice melee screen for some of the longer ranged figues and squads. As opposed to the typical rat screen, this screen has reasonable offense. It isn't as mobile as a rat screen, but its fun to play.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:18 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Another unorthodox army that should work well is...
Rats x 3 120
Roman Archers x 3 285
Q9 465
Guilty McCreech 495
24 Hexes

In this army, use the rats as the screen and use Q9 to take out squads. The Roman Archers are there primarily to use arrow volley to take out heroes. If you keep the Archers spread apart, 2 squads will beat Krug or Jotun. They need 10 to 11 archers to take on Nilfheim. Only 9 archers are needed for Braxas.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

185 Zelrig
120 Krug
120 Raelin v2

This is the core. Add shooters and blockers as desired. Zelrig gets no respect (see Dok's blog), but I like this combo. Zelrig fries clumps, Raelin attacks separated units (and, of course, defends), and Krug does what he does. In addition, though, he can pile into squad figures while Zelrig attacks him, frying those unfortunates, and potentially making Krug angry at the same time.

David
Very nice strategy concerning Zelrig and Krug. Most of my opponents, when I field Krug, tend to shy away from attacking him until a) he's the last remaining unit, or b) they can get enough attacks on him (in one OM hopefully) to seriously wound him.

I'll have to give this strategy a go sometime.

Kudos.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Archiver is surprisingly tart
Thumbs up Unorthodox Army by Archiver

Here is an unorthodox Army that works well together.

Isamu: 10p
Otonashi: 10p
Deathwalker 9000: 140p
Zettian Guards: 70p
Warden 816: 90p
Marcu Esenwein: 20p
Iskra Esenwein: 50p
Rechets of Bogdan: 50p
Dumutef Guard x2: 50p (25p each)
-----------------
490 points (15 Spaces)

Isamu: Cool Filler
Otonashi: Synergy from Warden
Deathwalker 9000: Synergy Offered to Zettians
Zettian Guards: Synergy from Warden / Deathwalker
Warden 816: Synergy Offered to Guards / Otonashi
Marcu Esenwein: Synergy from Dumutef
Iskra Esenwein: Synergy Offered to Rechets
Rechets of Bogdan: Synergy from Dumutef
Dumutef Guard x2: Synergy from Warden / Road

This army can be hard to play, but also hard to kill, especially if there is road on the map.

Old May 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Junge Roman has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

185 Zelrig
120 Krug
120 Raelin v2

David
Very nice strategy concerning Zelrig and Krug. Most of my opponents, when I field Krug, tend to shy away from attacking him until a) he's the last remaining unit, or b) they can get enough attacks on him (in one OM hopefully) to seriously wound him.

I'll have to give this strategy a go sometime.

Kudos.
Usually I would not risk putting wounds on my own guys, but that strategy sounds fun. Add in the grut archers for the win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
~Aldin, who never noticed before that there aren't any soulborg melee heavy hitters
Major X17 is heavy and a hitter. He doesn't count? By the way, Aldin, you are like the Scape tutor, now. "...has become the new orthodoxy." -gotta' love it.

Last edited by Junge Roman; May 13th, 2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:35 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junge Roman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Major X17 is heavy and a hitter. He doesn't count? By the way, Aldin, you are like the Scape tutor, now. "...has become the new orthodoxy." -gotta' love it.
I dunno, his 4 attack is kinda underwhelming. He's certainly the closest of any of them. And yeah, a bit full of myself sometimes, eh?

~Aldin, orthodoxily

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion