Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:05 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Two great games of Castle Ravenloft yesterday. First my son an I got whupped in Adventure #2 (again) just as we were on the verge of revealing the final chamber. Then later on that night we added another player (son's friend) and we were able to finally tackle the 2nd Adventure, but just barely. There were cries of triumph when the last monster fell.

-insert signature here-
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Went back home to visit in Minnesota and got a solid weekend of gaming in with my friends.

During the week we played:
Monsterpocalypse x3
Summoner Wars
Bohnanza x3
Nexus Ops x2

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:43 PM

ifstream Woo who?

my top ten games in order
1. summoner wars
2. memoir 44
3. pandemic
4. small world
5. world of warcraft board game
6. ticket to ride
7. carassonne
8. sorry
9. monopoly
10. heroscape
Old July 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM

Omahavice is surprisingly tart

Finally got to play my first 2 games of Thunderstone: Dragonspire with my 11 year old daughter. I am a huge Dominion fan so I dont think there are many deck building games out there that can pull me away from it but Thunderstone is very good. I won the first game we played 39-33 by killing a 5 point Orc on the last turn and snatching the Thunderstone which gave me another 4 points because my daughter had actually killed 1 more monster than I did.

Yesterday we played our 2nd game and she slaughtered me 72-51 even though I again got the Thunderstone and the 4 point bonus because she had killed a whopping 21 monsters to my paltry 14. So far we both really like this game and it looks like it will start stealing some Dominion table time.

Here is a link to a session report I wrote on our game if anyone is interested. Thunderstone is kind of tough to write session reports for:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/6717...by-my-daughter

We also played 3 games of Catch Phrase with 9 people the other night which was a blast. Some people just really panic when it is their turn and the buzzer starts to count down. Great and simple party game.

Tournament Record
Good Trades List

DaBoyzRule 5 Time Super Bowl Champions Working on Number 6
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

Defenders of the Realm x1

My wife and I broke this out tonight for our first play. She was the dwarf and I was the rogue. We successfully killed off the orc general but succumbed to too many tainted lands across the realm.

Next time we need to be more aggressive.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahavice View Post
Finally got to play my first 2 games of Thunderstone: Dragonspire with my 11 year old daughter. I am a huge Dominion fan so I dont think there are many deck building games out there that can pull me away from it but Thunderstone is very good. I won the first game we played 39-33 by killing a 5 point Orc on the last turn and snatching the Thunderstone which gave me another 4 points because my daughter had actually killed 1 more monster than I did.

Yesterday we played our 2nd game and she slaughtered me 72-51 even though I again got the Thunderstone and the 4 point bonus because she had killed a whopping 21 monsters to my paltry 14. So far we both really like this game and it looks like it will start stealing some Dominion table time.

Here is a link to a session report I wrote on our game if anyone is interested. Thunderstone is kind of tough to write session reports for:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/6717...by-my-daughter

We also played 3 games of Catch Phrase with 9 people the other night which was a blast. Some people just really panic when it is their turn and the buzzer starts to count down. Great and simple party game.
Glad you and your daughter like Thunderstone Omahavice It's different enough from Dominion to enjoy both. It does take longer, but I enjoy the theme of it and trying to hire the right heroes and buy the right stuff from the village to be successful in the dungeon. The more sets you have, the greater the variety and theme.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Finally got a game of Yggdrasil in. It was only a solo game. I won fairly easily but the game says it increases in difficulty with the more players there are.
I don't think it gets harder with more players but the characters you pick do make a big difference. If your playing with more characters each player can focus on one or two weapons, while a single or two player game has to be able to handle all of the evil gods. Tyr is probably the best character while Freya is probably the worst. You really change the difficulty by adding the lightning bolt bordered cards, the problem with those though is you know when one is coming up. I suggest putting all or most of them in and taking out 2 of each of the normal ones. It makes the game more challenging while actually possibly making it shorter. Another option is to just shuffle all the cards in and randomly remove 10 or so cards without looking at them so that you don't know what you will get.
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:54 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land-based AE View Post

My wife and I broke this out tonight for our first play. She was the dwarf and I was the rogue. We successfully killed off the orc general but succumbed to too many tainted lands across the realm.

This is a great game... Haven't played it in a while though... I agree that it helps to be aggressive but sometimes the luck of the deck is just off. I've had cases like your situation, and I've had cases in which Monarch City got overrun too fast. I can't wait until the new hero expansions get released.

Also, try this game with 4 players if you can. My girlfriend and I have a blast playing together, but when you got 4 players, it really ramps up the fun factor.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Is 4 players optimal? By that I mean should we be striving to have 4 heroes on the board at all times and if only two people are playing, control two heroes apiece or solo control 4.

I know 4 characters is optimal in Arkham but I didn't know if that's the case for DOTR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:

This is a great game... Haven't played it in a while though... I agree that it helps to be aggressive but sometimes the luck of the deck is just off. I've had cases like your situation, and I've had cases in which Monarch City got overrun too fast. I can't wait until the new hero expansions get released.

Also, try this game with 4 players if you can. My girlfriend and I have a blast playing together, but when you got 4 players, it really ramps up the fun factor.

Old July 7th, 2011, 08:17 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Is 4 players optimal? By that I mean should we be striving to have 4 heroes on the board at all times and if only two people are playing, control two heroes apiece or solo control 4.

I know 4 characters is optimal in Arkham but I didn't know if that's the case for DOTR as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
Quote:

My girlfriend and I have played by ourselves as in just one hero each and have been able to defeat three of the four bosses and lost, so it isn't truly necessary for four. I'm not sure if I'd say it's optimal, but it may make the game easier having the extra character each. However, it's manageable without it. If you have four human players its just makes the game hella fun, which with fours players, we also have defeated three of the four bosses and lost.

I'd say try it out if you want as I never have, but I know it is quite possible to nearly win with only two heroes.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Been breaking out Puerto Rico lately. I finally got to go first in a couple of games, which meant I finally got to actually take a stab at the builder path. Ran a pretty solid attempt for my first game, but got beaten out anyway. The second time I got just about as many points, but did a better job making sure no one else did that well and won by quite a bit. Really cool game, I just wish the different paths weren't so influenced by turn order.
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I got a couple games of Summoner Wars in last night and painted some more Last Night on Earth.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games