Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old May 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
NHSD 2010-Northeast Pre-Planning Thread

Now I know its early and we normally don't start talking about NHSD until after GenCon (don't hit me Hahn) but I wanted to get the ball rolling a little earlier this year mainly because I want to start looking for a new location.

UConn has been great for the past couple of years..(even with all the booking confusion last year that gave me an ulcer)...because of the space and its fairly central location but the reality is that there is alot of bureaucracy we have to deal with in getting the space and we literally do not know for sure we have the space till the very last minute.

So with that in mind I ask that people start scouting locations... especially if you are located in a central area*.

We also need to figure out the format we will be using for this year...The Rolling Rumble was a ton of fun and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Perhaps we can do some sort of variation on it.

Also wanted to try and add another component or two to the day...after all it is a celebration of all things Scape and not necessarily just another tournament.

Do we want to bring back Scaperdy for this year?

Do we want to have a Custom Unit contest where folks can bring an anonymous entry and everyone can vote on the best one for a prize?

Do we want to have a map design contest?

A Map building contest where all of the contestants are given the same terrain and a set of build instructions to see who can complete the map build first?
Old July 21st, 2010, 10:28 PM
has been BANNED

Re: NHSD 2010-Northeast Pre-Planning Thread

Ok I had an idea on how to change things up this year....

Tag Team Rolling Rumble
Basically it is the same as the Rolling Rumble with one exception...

Each player will be paired up randomly with another player and they will be seated next to each other at a table to face the opposite team. Once and only once during the game they can TAG each other and switch maps.

Rules for a valid tag
1-Both games must be currently active (you cant tag your partner to your game if they have all ready completed their game)
2-You must have at least 2 cards worth of figures left in your game.

Scoring and repairing....

If your team wins both games you each get 3 points and you move on to the next available team.

If your team wins 1 and loses 1 you gain 1 point and your team breaks up and you pair up with another available player

If your team loses both games you get 0 points and you can then swap out your army for a new one and then pair up with another player.

Thoughts?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Cool ideas. I like the tag team format and I like that you can change your army, though at a NHSD I'm sure that I'd want to play lots of different armies throughout the day so maybe make another way to change armies?

Quote:
Do we want to have a map design contest?

A Map building contest where all of the contestants are given the same terrain and a set of build instructions to see who can complete the map build first?
Building maps from instructions is not really my idea of fun. It may be fun to give everyone the same terrain and then vote on who builds the "coolest" map, though personally I probably would rather spend the time playing a game.

As for the location, I can probably get the place that we use for BatB every year, though it's not the most central location.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Now I know its early and we normally don't start talking about NHSD until after GenCon (don't hit me Hahn) but I wanted to get the ball rolling a little earlier this year mainly because I want to start looking for a new location.

UConn has been great for the past couple of years..(even with all the booking confusion last year that gave me an ulcer)...because of the space and its fairly central location but the reality is that there is alot of bureaucracy we have to deal with in getting the space and we literally do not know for sure we have the space till the very last minute.

So with that in mind I ask that people start scouting locations... especially if you are located in a central area*.
I don't know if this qualifies as central, but the venue that Scapemage921 used for the Green Mountain Montage (West Brattleboro in southern VT) could work for NHSD. I think he said it was $70 for the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
Also wanted to try and add another component or two to the day...after all it is a celebration of all things Scape and not necessarily just another tournament.
I realise that this is probably a minority opinion, but I'll be there to play Heroscape. The other stuff is all well and good, but I'd rather be playing.

I'm also not sold on the tag team idea. I can't imagine wanting to switch out of a game I've started and don't see any compelling reason for a pair to switch. It's not like the skill differences between players are so great that it's going to be common that a tag will make much difference to the outcome. Maybe I'm not understanding the rules.

How about something similar to last year: a mix of "alleys" (eight player single elimination events) that start whenever there is sufficient interest and a bunch of other stuff that people can play if they prefer or for a change. The other stuff could include both different formats (team play, say, or bughouse or Raelin's aura or some other new stuff) and the map-building/customs competitions for those that are interested.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I agree that it would be best to keep it simple. Last year worked out pretty well in that regard, with the alleys and free games. Overall I don't really mind what we decide on, as long as I get to play a lot of Heroscape.

Closer to Boston will probably be a more convenient location for me.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
has been BANNED

I had another idea regarding format but it would take too many maps to accomplish

Basically it is a tiered rumble.

Everyone starts on the center row of tables all with the same map on them. When you win you go to row of tables on the left side of the center and match up with another winner...losers all move to the row to the right. Each time you win you move back one row left...each time you lose you move one row right till you "fall off". If you win in the furthest row on the left you go back to the center to start a new conquest.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
I had another idea regarding format but it would take too many maps to accomplish

Basically it is a tiered rumble.

Everyone starts on the center row of tables all with the same map on them. When you win you go to row of tables on the left side of the center and match up with another winner...losers all move to the row to the right. Each time you win you move back one row left...each time you lose you move one row right till you "fall off". If you win in the furthest row on the left you go back to the center to start a new conquest.
Nice. Here's a variant on this that could work. Use a regular rolling rumble, but if you reach +2 you've "won" and if you reach -2 you've "lost", and at this point you switch your army for a new one and start at 0.

This
  • lets us use the rumble rules that keep everything fluid,
  • gives us a way to use multiple armies (I originally thought +/- 3 but I think that would take to long too switch out),
  • is competitive enough to be "serious" while still being less competitive than a standard event, and
  • would be fun.

Additional rules that might be worthwhile: no repeating a unit in more than one army; if you've just won then your next army must obey some restriction (no A-grade units? be general-specific? total allowable startzone spaces are 24 minus 4 times the number of wins you have?...); each time you lose you get to draft a random treasure glyph for the first game of your next attempt (like Darkmage7a's format);...

Last edited by ollie; July 22nd, 2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:26 AM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ollie, who is your muse?
You keep coming up with all these great formats. I like the +2/-2 concept. You could run through 3+ armies by the end of the day get in a ton of games and not worry about time limits. Thats great.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
Ollie, who is your muse?
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
has been BANNED

Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:35 AM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmage7a View Post
Ollie, who is your muse?
Yeah, I can see how that can be inspiring.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
has been BANNED

Yet another idea....

Blind Man's Bluff

We make a whole bunch of pre-made armies worth 500 points.

Players have the option of picking one out of a hat OR playing a preconstructed army of their own at a lesser point value. (Say 450)

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events