Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 02:20 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Thanks @Jet i also like dice tower reviews and i think i may have already watched that one. Ill have to look it over again. For imperial assault we haven't even played the campaign yet. I have just played so many skirmishes with so many units im sold on that aspect alone. I even spent close to a year and a half incorporating some rules from it into a heroscape rules variant. ( see my signature below) all the different deck building with command cards and all. I like how the dice work as well with the range aspects.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Last edited by TREX; February 4th, 2017 at 11:24 PM.
Old January 27th, 2017, 09:06 AM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

I continue to play a lot of A Feast for Odin solo. I love playing multiplayer as well when possible, but this is a fantastic solo experience. I'm really enjoying the solo challenges that are offered on BGG weekly, been competing in those and faring well as of late. I also have put up a few session reports from those playthroughs....there's a chance I'm really addicted to this one.

Else I've played a bit of the Arkham Horror LCG. I've been playing with my boyfriend, so we've been playing 2 player with just the single core....and not entirely surprisingly I'm finding it a bit lame. The actual gameplay is enjoyable--perhaps more so than LotR LCG which I have been into and really do like. The campaign style play means a lot more of the game is about just playing with your deck, rather than LotR's focus on always building and changing your deck for every scenario you come accross. It seems Arkham Horror has done a much better job thus far allowing players to just play.

But the downside for me is that the starter decks are pretty lame (which makes sense, I get why they do this), but the core set comes with basically no extra cards to allow for any deck tweaking at all. I'm sure this will improve if I just get more sets, which I probably will be, but right now it's making me unable to really enjoy much of what the core set has to offer. I feel I need a wider cardpool to experience the deck construction aspect, plus to us it feels like the scenarios get excessively hard and the tools provided by a single core set are incapable of really allowing you to succeed.

Else I've been getting into some more app based gaming on my iphone. Been getting in several games of Agricola, Summoner Wars, and Stone Age recently.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old January 27th, 2017, 02:43 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I have been getting into Social Deduction games a lot (like Mafia/Werewolf, but better)
  • Batman: The Animated Series – Almost Got 'Im Card Game - just released: Poker + Mafia + Batman & Gotham Villains = Fun
  • Coup (with expansion). Nice thing about it is no moderator required. Best with 5-6 players.
  • The Resistance/Avalon. Nice thing about it is no moderator required. Best with 6-8 players. Sometimes a little too structured for my taste, but fun.
  • Secret Hitler/Secret Hamilton - from a maker of Cards against humanity, but print-n-play version, I prefer Secret Hamilton as I don't like people saying "You're Hitler" all the time. Sometimes a little too structured for my taste, but fun.
  • Mafia/Werewolf - oldie, but goodie. I have the Apostrophe Games version.
Old January 30th, 2017, 12:18 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

Played a ton this weekend. Which was great. I recently moved to a new area (after just finally having formed a local game group where I was) and so now I have begun the process of trying to find fellow gamers once again.

First, on Friday night I was bored and did a little solo gaming.

Flash Point x1
Five Tribes x1

I recently found the Five Tribes official solo variant and have been loving it. This is one of the few games I regret buying--not because I don't really enjoy it, but because I simply have no one who plays it with me. I've got maybe 3 games of it played over about two years now. I buy games to play, not to collect dust. Maybe in the future I will get it played more, but the solo variant was actually really interesting and I had a lot of fun. I think I'll likely do this a bit more. Flash Point is one I just haven't played in a long time, and I enjoy just playing multiple characters in cooperative games when no one else is around to play with.

Next, on Saturday night we hosted some family and friends and played a bunch of party and other lighter games.

Sushi Go Party x1
Tsuro x1
Codenames x3
One Night Ultimate Werewolf x5
Joking Hazard x1
Bohnanza x1
Sheriff of Nottingham x1
Love Letter x1

Plenty of games that have seen lots of plays in recent times with all of them. As always it was fun and enjoyable even if most of the games are a bit too strategically light for my preferences.

Finally, on Sunday I got out and met up with a local game group for the first time. Fortunately they were very welcoming and inviting and it went fantastic. I had got a copy of Terra Mystica for Christmas I had been dying to try out and people there were more than willing to help teach and play. After that I was able to get in a three player game of one of my new favorites A Feast for Odin. The group also had tons of other games that I've been wanting to play or love. It's certainly a group that tends to enjoy the heavier Euros which is what I love the most but rarely get to play. I'm looking forward to meeting up with them more often when I'm able and hoping that will go well. As for the actual gameplay, I know I'm late to the party on this one, but Terra Mystica was fantastic. Deserving of it's lofty praise in my opinion, I can't wait to play it more. This was just my third game of A Feast for Odin with other players (as I've played it a lot solo) and it went well. One new player was learning and had a good time but scored poorly. The other has also been playing it quite a lot and we were fairly competitive with me ultimately edging him out a bit.

Overall, it was a fantastic gaming weekend for me--got to play a ton of games that I really enjoy from different genres and got to meet some new gamers and start to get involved in a group.

As an aside, last year was the first year I started logging plays and it was really enlightening to know what was getting played and how much. I've continued this year and really am enjoying the data. I also managed to play 16 games 16 times in 2016, and so think I will aim to push that to 17x17 in 2017 here. Not sure I will manage to complete it or not, but as I start playing more and more solo I think I probably will. Gaming has become my top hobby right now and I'm really happy with that. Especially after moving I've been appreciating it as a great way to meet people and socialize in a new area. Else it's just always a great hobby to actually share experiences and times with other people that isn't just being in front of a screen.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old February 4th, 2017, 11:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Great to hear that you are settling into a new game group in your new area @Ranior My biggest fear would be having to relocate and start over with a different group. I have so many people in my group now (over 40) and have gotten close to many of them.

I finished my final tank for Halo Ground Command, other than having to varnish it when it's not 17 degrees out. Even that's too cold to do it in the garage, though tomorrow and Monday look to be warm enough and I might also prime the six starting character minis for Gloomhaven.

My 2nd UNSC Scorpion tank, where I went with desert camo paint scheme. I don't have an airbrush, so it took decent amount of extra time to do this by hand, but I'm glad to have taken the extra time.

This is with the Anti-Air turret, this version is called the Sun Devil. I used 6x2mm magnets to be able to pop the turrets on and off to switch them out when I want to from game to game, and they stay on great with the magnets.

Next to my other UNSC Scorpion. I did more of a standardized color scheme, though maybe a little darker than the stock color. This is more grey-green and then the ink wash darkened it more. I'll have it be my ODST version

All 4 tanks. The flanking ones are the Covenant Wraiths, with their plasma mortar currently in the bed of the vehicle. The Anti-Air weapons are laying in front of them, and I have a 1x2mm magnet under each and in the bed to be able to swap out as with the Scorpions. I have a fancier version of the standard color scheme on the left, and I went with the "Banished" color scheme for the Wraith on the right.

Many hours in assembling them, as there were many pieces for each, and then priming, painting and varnishing. But it's totally worth it to me. Fortunately with this game, you don't need a lot of tanks. These will be it for me, unless they have some version of a tank/vehicle for the Brutes when they come out, but I don't know even then if I will get them.

Aside from the 4 tanks, I have 6 UNSC Warthogs (4 painted standard color and other 2 not painted yet but will be desert camo when I get to it), 12 Covenant Ghosts (6 Storm Ghosts with Elites as drivers and in a silvery lavender bluish color, 3 Scout Ghosts with Grunts as drivers and painted the standard purple, 3 Scout Ghosts with Grunt drivers and not assembled or painted yet, but will be stock purple), 2 base sets of both UNSC and Covenant soldiers and Hunters, but only 1 base set painted. And I have on order, 2 UNSC Recon/Sniper units, 2 Covenant Jackal Assault Units (with the shields), 2 Covenant Jackal Marksmen Units (with Needle Guns) and 1 new Covenant Command Unit with an Elite Officer included.

I should be set with that for awhile, though February's release is UNSC ODST Bullfrogs, the guys with the Jetpacks on their back, and Covenant Ultras, full units of Elites, as opposed to a unit of Grunts led by a single Elite.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 4th, 2017, 04:12 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice work Hahma.

Almost finished?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 4th, 2017, 06:18 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Nice work Hahma.

Almost finished?
Thanks Tornado

Almost finished? Oye! It's a sickness I tell you

While I had painted my Mice and Mystics base set figures a few years ago, I only used a handful of colors from various places. Then that was it until last June when I started painting my 28mm figures from my Mercs Recon kickstarter, over 120 figures. So I got a nice set of paints and brushes from Army Painter and started working on that, getting better as I went. I had intended it to carry me through this winter. Well then in August or so, I got into Halo Ground Command in 15mm scale. So after about 25 or so figures from Mercs Recon being painted, I have been working on Halo stuff since September maybe. Pretty much every weekend morning for a few hours and some evenings and other spare time here and there during the week.

Now that I just got Gloomhaven, I am confident enough with my painting to be able to paint the figures for that before my daughters and I start our campaign (after finishing Pandemic Legacy that has been on pause since the holidays because of playing Scythe with them ). There are only 6 starting characters for Gloomhaven, and that's what I'll paint for now. The other 11 characters are locked and can't be played until certain events over the course of the campaign. They and their cards and other stuff are sealed in their own tuckboxes for now. Fortunately the incredible amount of monsters are in standee form. Beautiful artwork and no painting involved. The designer would have had to cut down drastically on the variety of monsters/bad guys if he did them in miniatures form, the game would have cost hundreds of dollars and require another box.

So then I'll get back to Halo stuff to paint. It has to end sometime I suppose, but even when I get caught up with that, I need to get back to painting the Mercs Recon stuff.

Old February 4th, 2017, 11:34 PM
Prickly Cactus

@chas

Galipoli diorama in New Zealand.They are using thousands of 54mm soldiers. Reminded me of you

http://anzacdiorama.blogspot.ca/2015...orama.html?m=1

Old February 5th, 2017, 12:05 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Hahma,

Thank you very much! I have passed this on to our 54mm discussion group littlewars@yahoogroups.com Some of the names here are well known to us all from our hobby, although I've never met them, such as The Armchair General (who has his own site) and the sculptors. Sir Peter Jackson is a big collector of figures as well.

They have an annual ceremony Down Under of the ANZACS (Australians and New Zealanders) of WWI, who took part in the campaign at Gallipoli.

Chas
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:56 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Hahma,

Thank you very much! I have passed this on to our 54mm discussion group littlewars@yahoogroups.com Some of the names here are well known to us all from our hobby, although I've never met them, such as The Armchair General (who has his own site) and the sculptors. Sir Peter Jackson is a big collector of figures as well.

They have an annual ceremony Down Under of the ANZACS (Australians and New Zealanders) of WWI, who took part in the campaign at Gallipoli.

Chas
Glad to be able to pass it on to you, as I know that's right up your alley

When I was in the Marines and stationed in Hawaii from Jan '86 to June '89, being stationed at the Headquarters base of all 5 branches from the west coast to the Indian Ocean, I participated in my fair share of monthly retirement ceremonies, as well as Honor Guard ceremonies for visiting foreign dignitaries. I also participated in one of the annual ANZAC Day ceremonies at the Punchbowl Cemetery in Honolulu. It's a big deal there and it was an honor to participate in that ceremony.

Old February 5th, 2017, 02:16 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Some friends had a housewarming/board game party tonight and I was able to make it. Played Dungeons & Dragons Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game Seemed like it could have been fun but wasn't my thing. There were five players and it seemed to take a long time between turns. I had three turns before the game was over. We won when I took out the last 3 monsters.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 5th, 2017, 02:25 AM
Prickly Cactus

I've never played one of those D&D games like that Japes. They seem like they could be neat, but then again, maybe not. 3 turns isn't exactly much playing.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games