Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old October 31st, 2019, 11:03 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Well met!

Thanks everyone! Such a beautiful card! Super kudos to the artist!

Old October 31st, 2019, 11:22 AM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Congrats, I'm looking forward to trying this guy out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

Thanks everyone! Such a beautiful card! Super kudos to the artist!

Old October 31st, 2019, 11:24 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
Updated Olog card
For those that aren't seeing behind the scenes, there is discussion in the Inner Sanctum about a dislike in the name "Savage Rush" and we asked the Long eared bat to consider other options.
Old October 31st, 2019, 11:43 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Kha and Rendar look good! Congrats guys!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 31st, 2019, 03:05 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Specters of Aldorn by Leaf_It

It’s Halloween, and what’s that I hear down that dark and spooky corridor? Why, it’s the wailing of our spectral submission! The Specters of Aldorn are the perfect fit for all hallow’s eve, but will their haunted hall echo with howls of triumph or moans of despair? Read on, if ye dare…

Balance
There are plenty of 4-man melee squads sitting around the Specters’ price bracket, but even a small difference becomes significant with a common. While there isn’t an exact comparison, I’m willing to buy that the Specters are a cut above Gnids and a cut below Buccaneers, and if not strictly stronger than Goblins then at least much easier to play. A flat 3 defense is the standout stat here and the 60 points feels an appropriate amount to pay for it.

Theme
The theme on this card is very straightforward and obvious, which is good in principle, but suggests that some elements of the card may have been passed over with little scrutiny. The change of class from Specters to Terrors is a lateral move at best, given that we're trading a repeat of their name for a repeat of their Terrifying personality. I actually would have preferred them to stay as Specters to fall in line with the name/class precedents of the Minions, Sentinels, and Protectors, though I recognize that the change was made to address the criticisms of other judges. Otherwise, the stats and powers all fit fairly well thematically. I like seeing more Vydar Undead.

Creativity
I mentioned earlier that there are quite a few 4-man melee squads around this point bracket, but the Specters make a decent name for themselves regardless. There are similar squads, but none that split the difference between the swarms and the more expensive units like these guys do. In terms of powers, Phantom Walk is familiar both in text and use. Levitate is a reuse, but placing it on a common squad gives it much more weight in army building. The “moved through” wording of Deathly Touch is the same trigger as Living Storm, but the much simpler effect is a welcome expansion of design space. Overall, the Specters don’t have anything flashy or eye-grabbing, but the creativity lies in the combination and their placement in pricing.

Playability
The Specters feel pretty much properly tuned when put through their paces. At 60 points with Phantom Walk, they’re the cheapest you can get a squad this mobile--with the exception of the Deathwings, who are only a 2-figure squad without much board control capability. Playing the Specters gets you a lot of positioning power for not too much investment, and with decent staying power of 3 defense. Their offense, however, is outclassed in many cases. They have the punch to win early and late game skirmishes, but not at a cheap enough value where they can out-attrition most armies. Usually, you'll want to pair them with something that has a little more oomph.

My biggest concern was that the Specters have two powers that are about ignoring systems in the game rather than engaging with them. Heroscape already has its fair share of disengaging squads, and the Specters can ignore terrain to boot. This could lead to a bland, one-note design with very few decisions to make in positioning. Fortunately, alleviating this concern is where Deathly Touch shines. It’s inclusion in this design forces both players to adopt a different set of considerations in place of standard engagement rules. This adds another layer to the Specters’ board control, as it essentially gives them a more potent but smaller secondary threat zone—which is further complicated by the fact that only one Specter has to move through a target to give them -1 D for any other attacks that turn. In short, while a simple power, Deathly Touch is effective at providing complex and interesting tactical decisions for both players to make. Testing repeatedly showed me new variants of situations where Deathly Touch influenced how I developed the Specters or how the opponent dealt with them.

Summary
I wasn’t terribly excited by the Specters at first glance, but I came away from my testing impressed by the unique role they fill and options they open up in play. That being the case, I am happy to vote to induct the Specters of Aldorn.
Old November 2nd, 2019, 10:53 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I would like to submit my Drow Assassin

Text Version (and Planet):
Spoiler Alert!

Availibility:

14 - TrollandToad
20+ - Coolstuffinc
37 - RPGLocker
11 - Miniature Market
3 - auggiesgamestore
8 - GameHollow
2 - NobleKnight
18 - Amazon
A LOT - eBay
I still have around 100 of the figure here at my house to sell to anyone interested.

Last edited by Leaf_It; November 2nd, 2019 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Adding Availability
Old November 3rd, 2019, 02:22 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Why does Shadow Shift have the restriction "...small or medium friendly figure that is not a unique hero?" The wording seems unnecessarily complex unless being able to switch with a Unique Squad is important to the design. It's especially strange considering that Drow Assassinate is limited only to Common Drow, so if a Unique Drow Squad was ever designed, they wouldn't mesh as well anyway.

I am also curious as to why Drow Assassinate can't trigger off of Pelloth or Estivara, for that matter. They already aren't too great, but it seems like it could be a fun addition to dungeon crawls when going against rooms of Drow.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 03:40 PM

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Raelin. She is the biggest reason they can't switch unique heros.

If you can trigger off of unique drow, then Sir H's shadow Master submission would create turn stacking. The fix for this is simple, But It would need to be made to his design, or the wording would be really messy and overly wordy. The simplest way for me to avoid it to restrict it to commons. The best way for it be fixed, is to adjust the wording on the Shadow Master's card to "immediately take a turn with 3 shadow."
Old November 3rd, 2019, 03:54 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
But why can they switch with Unique Squads? Including those in the design makes Shadow Shift read clumsier than it should.

Quote:
If you can trigger off of unique drow, then Sir H's shadow Master submission would create turn stacking. The fix for this is simple, But It would need to be made to his design, or the wording would be really messy and overly wordy. The simplest way for me to avoid it to restrict it to commons. The best way for it be fixed, is to adjust the wording on the Shadow Master's card to "immediately take a turn with 3 shadow."
I actually forgot that Xundar would be included in that synergy if both of them pass. That's a bit of a shame that Pelloth won't mesh with this design, but it's understandable.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 04:01 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Is the intent for Drow Assassinate to allow you to reveal an OM on the Assassin, take a turn, and then take another turn with the same Assassin as your once per round bonus turn?
Old November 3rd, 2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
Is the intent for Drow Assassinate to allow you to reveal an OM on the Assassin, take a turn, and then take another turn with the same Assassin as your once per round bonus turn?
That is an intended option. You can also trigger off of Chainfighters, and Deepwyrm.
Old November 3rd, 2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
But why can they switch with Unique Squads? Including those in the design makes Shadow Shift read clumsier than it should.
None of the unique squads in the game cause any serious issues. Raelin is the biggest worry. Also Samurai are fun to switch with, so I wanted to try and allow them. Is it really so bad to say "that isnt a unique hero"? It's straightforward and understandable.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs