Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Old January 20th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Master Splinter - Initial Playtesting

I'd prefer just giving him 5 attack and making Breaking Balance a strictly-defensive power, but I can also work with this version, most recently posted by LO:

Quote:
BREAKING BALANCE
When an adjacent opponent's figure rolls attack dice for a normal attack against Master Splinter, or rolls defense dice against an attack from Master Splinter, if they roll more skulls than shields, you may add one automatic shield to Splinter's roll and if Master Splinter is not destroyed, that figure receives a wound.
The current discussion looks to me like it's getting into the weeds a little bit. I don't think I have any major theme concerns either way, but the power would definitely read a lot more cleanly/intuitively if it were a purely defensive power.
Old January 20th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I'd prefer just giving him 5 attack and making Breaking Balance a strictly-defensive power, but I can also work with this version, most recently posted by LO:

Quote:
BREAKING BALANCE
When an adjacent opponent's figure rolls attack dice for a normal attack against Master Splinter, or rolls defense dice against an attack from Master Splinter, if they roll more skulls than shields, you may add one automatic shield to Splinter's roll and if Master Splinter is not destroyed, that figure receives a wound.
The current discussion looks to me like it's getting into the weeds a little bit. I don't think I have any major theme concerns either way, but the power would definitely read a lot more cleanly/intuitively if it were a purely defensive power.
Doing that would, IMO, loose a tonne of theme, to me - I don't want Splinter's attacks to feel like just regular heavy hits, that doesn't feel right for the character, as japes was saying. I'd even be happier dropping his Attack to 3 and making it a shield or skull than making BB purely defensive, but that starts to feel a bit too flukey to me - this is the version I'm happiest with

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 21st, 2018, 06:26 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Just ran some tests against Leo with this version of Breaking Balance:

Quote:
BREAKING BALANCE
And I've got to say, he feels pretty much perfect now! Rather than getting demolished by his student, it's pretty close with a definite edge to Splinter. Taking into account neither can use their support powers, Leo's going to be better offensively most of the time (two attacks of 5 > one attack of 4 with a potential auto-wound - unless you're fighting Lanterns, of course ), and Splinter's probably better defensively against most melee normal attackers while Leo's going to be better at defending against range or special attacks, this is feeling fair and not too much for the old rat.

Map: Blackroot (no glyphs)

TEST 1
Units: Master Splinter vs. Leonardo (210)
This was feeling better - in the first round, Leo managed to get a wound on Splinter having taken two to BB, one on offence and one on defence. The extra skull helped keep Splinter defend a bit better when Leo overextends, which feels thematic - Splinter shouldn’t just fold while doing some damage in the mean time. Splinter won in a landslide, but that was due to getting an initiative switch and a really lucky attack roll - all skulls, Leo rolls only two shields, taking two wounds from the attack and one to BB, Leo falls.
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Master Splinter with 1/5 wounds.

TEST 2
Splinter was wearing Leo down with Breaking Balance until his pupil got in two deadly 4 skull attacks in one turn, and Splinter’s defence just wasn’t up to snuff - the auto-shield helps, but it can only help so much when your opponent can’t stop rolling skulls and you can barely manage to scrape a shield together.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R1T6: Leonardo with 4/5 wounds.

TEST 3
Splinter managed basically the same dodgy hit he used to finish the first game to open this one - Leo was never going to claw this one back
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R1T6: Master Splinter with 1/5 wounds.

TEST 4
This one was great - both sides did damage, both sides held up solidly, and it was really close and even right to the end - just managing to completely block one blow from Leo where he overextended himself, and to mostly escape another couple of blows where Leo was absolutely vicious, allowed Splinter to scrape out a close victory. He wouldn’t have done before the change.
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T3: Master Splinter with 4/5 wounds.

TEST 5
Leo failed to entirely block one of Splinter’s attacks, taking two wounds from it (one normally and one from BB). Leo struggles whenever that happens, and when you also consider that Splinter blocked a blow or two where he’d overextended, Leo wasn’t winning this one. He did manage to make his Master break a sweat, though.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R1T6: Master Splinter with 3/5 wounds.

TEST 6
Units:Master Splinter vs. Leonardo (210)
Leo was careful on defence, neither losing his balance not failing to block his Master’s blows, and he only overextended on the offence when it counted, twice to strike Splinter successfully and one to make the finishing blow. He even once managed to wound Splinter without overextending - something he’s done a few times, and which is always a good result. Splinter is impressed.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Leonardo with 2/5 wounds.

TEST 7
Splinter did the same thing he did in the first game - it was going okay, fairly evenly, then he makes an all skull strike which Leo fails to block to inflict three wounds and finish Leo off.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Master Splinter with 2/5 wounds.

TEST 8
Units:Master Splinter vs. Leonardo (210)
Leo’s first two strikes were savage, inflicting two wounds each - if it weren’t for the auto-shield from his overextending, he’d have taken the rat out in his first turn of attacking. He took some damage from that, and for failing to keep his footing on the defence, but it was worth it - Splinter just couldn’t quite keep up.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R1T6: Leonardo with 3/5 wounds.

TEST 9
This went stupidly - first, Leo blanked against a one skull attack from Splinter, taking two wounds. Then, in his round of attacking, Leo managed to roll 4 skulls to no shields for his second attack, inflicting three wounds while taking one himself. Leo then blocked Splinter’s next attack, but Splinter feinted and took his footing, nearly finishing the turtle, before his son immediately retaliated with a 4 skull attack which Splinter, once again, failed to roll a shield against. I... just have no words for this one.
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R1T6 Leonardo with 4/5 wounds.

TEST 10
Splinter managed to block most of Leo’s strikes the first round, only taking one wound while consistently breaking his balance and waring him down. Leo, almost depleted at the start of the second round, poured all of his strength into one hail mary strike - it was devastating, inflicting three wounds on his master, but, thanks to the auto-skull, not quite enough to finish him, and Leo was brought down.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Master Splinter with 4/5 wounds.

EDIT: Just ran a handful against Shang-Chi - I really think we're good here with the change. He's strong, but not overpowered or beyond the realms of the other martial artists of his caliber. He's feeling perfectly thematic for the character in combat, IMO.

TEST 11

Units: Master Splinter vs. Shang-Chi (230)
MMA’s a pretty good counter to Breaking Balance and Splinter, both on defence (Splinter’s low attack isn’t too hard to block or counterstrike) and offence (one bonus skull which can either counteract Splinter’s auto-shield if BB triggers and also act as an extra skull that doesn’t count towards whether your Balance is Broken). Shang-Chi got some pretty bad defence rolls, which resulted in him losing, but it was still close, and I think I an say that Yodaking’s concerns about Breaking Balance working against skilled martial artists aren’t a problem - yes, Splinter can get them off balance and exploit it, which I think he’s skilled enough to be able to do, but it’s nowhere near as easy or without risk as it is against a regular combatant.
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Master Splinter with 4/5 wounds.

TEST 12
Splinter’s first blow was brutally counter struck, and he received three wounds from one strike. He managed to take out Shang’s balance a couple of times after that for a couple of wounds, but the Master of Kung-Fu was bound to beat the Master of Ninjitsu after that.
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Shang-Chi with 2/5 wounds.

TEST 13
Shang-Chi’s first blow was blocked, but that was followed by him countering Splinter’s next blow for a wound before striking him again for one. Splinter retaliated, though - he managed a 4 skull attack, and, as we know from Leo’s fights with him, if Splinter hits with one of those and you don’t make a solid block, you’re in a world of hurt. Shang-Chi, unfortunately, didn’t - 1 shield only, bumped to 2 for MMA, but that doesn’t count towards Balance Breaking, and the Master of Kung-Fu took three wounds. In the next round, Shang-Chi’s first blow was utterly uneventful, but Splinter then made an absolute feint - no skulls rolled at all! Shang-Chi countered it agressively, rolling a shield and inflicting two wounds with counterstrike - one more skull would have been all he’d have needed to kill the rat, but instead, Splintger took advantage and took his foe’s balance, inflicting another wound, leaving them both a wound off death. Shang-Chi’s next attack was strong - 3 skulls +1 auto - but overextended; Splinter rolled 3 skulls +1 auto, blocked, and made Shang-Chi pay for sacrificing his balance for a killing blow, taking him out.
Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T3: Master Splinter with 4/5 wounds.

TEST 14
Splinter’s first blow was blocked, but not quite carefully enough, and he took the martial artist’s balance. Shang-Chi’s first blow was careful, and as strong as it could be without him overextending himself, and he inflicted a wound on Splinter. Splinter then made another feint, striking but rolling no skulls - Shang-Chi didn’t fall for it this time, and maintained his balance while countering the blow and striking Splinter for three wounds. Shang-Chi’s next blow failed to hurt Splinter, but he managed an initiative switch and struck again, finishing the rat.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Shang-Chi with 1/5 wounds.

TEST 15
Splinter’s first blow was another feint, with no actual weight behind it, and, once again, Shang-Chi didn’t fall for it, striking Splinter for 3 wounds in response. He sacrificed his footing for a winning strike, but it was worth it - he brought the rat down before he had time to break his balance.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R1T4: Shang-Chi with 0/5 wounds.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Last edited by Lazy Orang; January 21st, 2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old January 21st, 2018, 07:37 PM
Hard as ice

I'm going to suggest moving this guy forwards to Army Testing with the change to Balance Breaking shown above at 230 Points.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 22nd, 2018, 12:09 PM
Hard as ice

And just for good measure, here are a few vs. Conan.

TEST 16
Units: Master Splinter vs. Conan (200)
These guys are an interesting case of countering each other’s powers - Breaking Balance is great for cutting through Battle Hardened, but Barrage of Blades can cut through the defensive element of Breaking Balance while still being deadly. All in all, I’d say Conan probably has the advantage, but let’s give ‘em another round or so!

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T1: Conan with 4/6 wounds.

TEST 17
Splinter was lucky here, blocking most of Conan’s blows, inflicting 3 wounds on his first blow and managing an initiative switch. All the luck was with him.

TEST 18
Splinter’s been getting surprisingly good luck blocking Baraage of Blades - more than I expect is normal. That being said, Conan pulled through.

Who won and how many wounds did they have? R2T2: Conan with 4/6 wounds.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:19 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Conan is a handful one on one in a melee fight. It is the high number of ranged attacks, particularly ranged fliers in C3G, that keeps him in check once you get to the team games.
Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:01 PM
Hard as ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Conan is a handful one on one in a melee fight. It is the high number of ranged attacks, particularly ranged fliers in C3G, that keeps him in check once you get to the team games.
Honestly, I think the same's probably going to be said for Splinter, though of course they work very differently. Knowing the character, that feels perfectly thematic to me.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:12 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Certainly two greats in hand to hand combat though Conan is in his prime and Splinter is an old rat.

I bet Speedball, Azrael and original Batman with a hot d20 could fair as well.

Splinter's value is solidly set into a Turtle build and that is where the true balance must lie.

Good stuff here L_O.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:46 PM
Hard as ice

Army Test 1
Map: Ivy’s Greenhouse (no glyphs)
Armies:
Master Splinter (230), Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello, Michelangelo, Martian Manhunter (vI) (1230 points)
vs.
Professor X, Cylops, Beast, Jean Grey, Phoenix, Iceman, Angel (Warren Worthington) (1,230 points)
Spoiler Alert!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old January 23rd, 2018, 01:58 PM
C3G Con Champ 2021 and 2022!

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!

Adding another ability onto one of his powers is pushing it IMO, as it's already stuffed. Not saying it's not a neat idea though.

All things considered, it looks like it was a close game, 2 of the 3 remaining surviving figures were only 1 wound away, and Professor X by himself would have been torn apart. As for Splinter's affect on the game, he provided 3 extra turns, 3 wounds caused on defense, 2 wounds avoided, and added to a Cowabunga! roll. Not that bad, especially considering he likely underperformed on offense based on what his average should be doing, and his Father's Devotion went unused.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:04 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkham View Post
Adding another ability onto one of his powers is pushing it IMO, as it's already stuffed. Not saying it's not a neat idea though.

All things considered, it looks like it was a close game, 2 of the 3 remaining surviving figures were only 1 wound away, and Professor X by himself would have been torn apart. As for Splinter's affect on the game, he provided 3 extra turns, 3 wounds caused on defense, 2 wounds avoided, and added to a Cowabunga! roll. Not that bad, especially considering he likely underperformed on offense based on what his average should be doing, and his Father's Devotion went unused.
I agree with everything Arkham said here. The fact that he didn't use one of his more annoying powers and he didn't cause a single wound on Attack (either through Normal or Breaking Balance) seems like just bad luck. How many times did he attack. Hard to believe he didn't get a auto wound in there with any of his attacks.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 03:17 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

One card just can't have everything a character can or could do. We stream line designs here and boil them down to the basics. We also bend on theme quite a bit in order to make the game fun and balanced for everyone involved. Otherwise Superman I would have had several more powers on his card and Man of Steel would have been something like 3 auto shields to keep any random street thug from ever hurting him with a pistol round.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library