Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old July 21st, 2022, 11:35 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Book of Clayton Pierce

The Book of Clayton Pierce
Soldiers of Valhalla - The Sheriff

PDF Download

The figure used for this unit is Sheriff Steve Rogers #006 from the Heroclix Secret Wars - Battleworld set.

Character Bio: TBD

Spoiler Alert!

Quote:
SHERIFF's POSSE
Before rolling for initiative, if Clayton Peirce is not the only Lawman you control, you may move Clayton and up to 3 other Lawmen you control up to 5 spaces each.

SHOOTOUT
Once per round, after revealing an Order Marker on Clayton Pierce and taking a turn with him, you may take a turn with up to 3 other Lawman Heroes you control. Heroes taking a turn with Shootout must be within 4 clear sight spaces of Clayton and may not move normally during that turn.

Q: What happens first, Sheriff's Posse or the Glyph of Xipta?
A: If owned by the same player, that player may choose the order. If owned by different players, it is a roll-off to see which happens first.

Synergy Benefits Received
  • CAPT. JOHN VARAN : PURPLE HEART
    As a Human who follows Jandar, Clayton Pierce may benefit from Capt. John Varan's PURPLE HEART wound reassignment.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • EBON ARMOR : ANIMATED MATERIEL & ETERNAL WAR
    As a Unique Human, a destroyed Ebon Armor you control may be placed on Clayton Pierce's Army Card to replace Clayton upon his own destruction.
  • SIR ORRICK : A BROTHER'S CALL
    As a Human who follows Jandar, if engaged, Clayton Pierce may aid Sir Orrick's movement with his A BROTHER'S CALL ability.

SHERIFF'S POSSE: Lawmen
SHOOTOUT: Lawmen_________________________________________________________________
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking and Master Index

Unit Strategy Review
- TBD

Last edited by Ulysses; February 17th, 2023 at 01:16 PM.
Old November 5th, 2022, 08:58 PM

Pacmann96 is surprisingly tart
Re: The Book of Clayton Pierce

If lawmen are on road before rolling initiative, do they get the road bonus added to the 5 moves from Sheriff's Posse?
Old November 5th, 2022, 09:33 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacmann96 View Post
If lawmen are on road before rolling initiative, do they get the road bonus added to the 5 moves from Sheriff's Posse?
I would assume no since Road movement only ever benefits a normal move. Never any special movements from abilities like this.
Old November 6th, 2022, 06:47 AM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

SchismaticSounds is correct. The 5 movement in Sheriff's Posse is a static number. (See also the Nakita Agents.) Note that Lawmen being moved this way can still use their own movement powers like Flying or Phantom Walk, etc... if they have any.
Old November 20th, 2022, 09:11 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I recently got to try Clayton Pierce for the first time in a game with the NYC Gang of Four and it was the most fun I've ever had using the Lawmen. I ran him along with James Murphy, Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan and Guilty McCreech, and it was a blast moving them all into position every round until the right moment came when they could use Shootout to fill the air with hot lead. (Except for James Murphy, whose shotgun jammed on him each of the three times he tried to shoot it. )

Thanks to the Discord team for designing one of my favorite types of customs - the kind that revitalizes some old, lesser played units. Congrats!
Old November 20th, 2022, 09:39 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have to agree with Sherman Davies; despite little experience with Clayton, I threw together a partial Lawman army for the recent 2022 Playtesting Tournament and played it in three of my four games because of how unexpectedly fun Clayton made the build. A Hero pod that can throw out frightening storms of bullets after a few rounds of passive development is a unique component that differs from the types of units I typically draft, and the fact that I was able to effectively deploy the Lawman Class, which I had shelved years ago, was especially enjoyable. I really prefer Clayton in a mixed army with something more offensive than a screen though, as the sheer number of attacks per Shootout can create some interesting targeting decisions for his opponent. Great job!

Last edited by Blue Trails; November 20th, 2022 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.
Old November 20th, 2022, 11:11 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness

As the victim of Sherman Davies' Clayton Pierce/Dwarf army, I can say that Clayton Pierce is wild; he totally revitalizes a group of units who - let's face it - kind of desperately needed the help with a set of very unique, fun abilities. In retrospect, I don't even really care that I lost; it was worth it for the sheer novelty of getting massacred by the lawmen heroes, all of whom I'd written off a long time ago. Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan killed something like six to eight units in a single Shotgun Blast! When was the last time something like that ever happened? Even if it happened in part because of my own tactical errors, I think it speaks to the sheer fun Clayton Pierce injects into the game. He's a wonderful unit - a fun figure who revitalizes a group of underused heroes with a mechanic that's flavorfully unique and fun - and I actually got Clayton's figure for myself recently so that I can take him and his posse for a shootout myself!

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old November 25th, 2022, 11:03 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Clayton is hands down my favorite unit in the game, classic or VC. What a great design guys
Old January 25th, 2023, 10:21 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I've been playing Clayton and the Cowboys a bit recently so I wanted to write up a post about them. I think Clayton and the Cowboys are pretty strong. I've gone 10-1 with them in the two tournaments I've played. The tournaments were Quad Pod and Delta, so I can't say whether it translates to success in a Cheese format, but I've had pretty compelling results.

I tested Clayton for SoV by extensively playing him with Dreadguls, thinking that was the best build, but after my further post-release games I think he's stronger without them. Dreadguls can save 30 points because of their overlapping bonding with Guilty McGreech, but the result is an army that's extremely dependent on a single 2 life 2 defense figure. Once Guilty goes down, the Dreadguls are reduced firepower, the Cowboys are reduced firepower. Before that, it's pretty good, Guilty gets to Battle Rush forward with Posse and rain death on your opponent, but Guilty will quickly become a magnet for enemy fire. Against really slow melee armies like Knights of Weston, Guilty can dart around and safely unleash his firepower all game, but pretty much anything else can take him out and leave the Cowboy Dreadgul hybrid build with an awkward and uneven army. If you play the Cowboys with literally anything else besides Dreadguls, the loss of Guilty is less catastrophic. You just lose 2 attacks of 2 on the Shootout turns.

In Quad Pod, I paired the Cowboys with a ton of different things. My own Dwarves x2, Beorn pod three times, and then a grab bag of pods from my opponents: Durgeth Ravagers, Eilan Sidhe, Knights of Weston, and Airborne+Ninjas. Having your main piece of offense totally separate from the once-per-round Shootout Cowboys is totally fine. The key is you want something that can fall asleep once-per-round while the Cowboys do Shootout, and then immediately wake up again and carry the offense. Dreadguls are honestly not that great at falling asleep, they get mowed down. Rats, the other obvious pair for a ranged army, are good at falling asleep, but they are not good at carrying the offense.

I tried Cowboys with Stingers in a Peoria Delta tournament and did pretty well. My one loss was to Sir Heroscape's Cultists x3, Major Q9 army, which presented weird challenges, made me regret running James Murphy over Guilty because James was basically useless against Cultists while Guilty is great. It was still decently close. Stingers aren't necessarily a "screen" in the traditional sense, they just shoot and can throw a decent number of dice without a lot of turn investment.

My idea from a Cheese perspective is Cowboys with Cathar. Cathar are a traditional screening unit, but they're also totally fine as an active screen. 3x Cathar and Clayton, Mad Dog, Kate, and Guilty is 450 points, 530 with Raelin. I really don't know how those fare against other Cheese armies at those totals, but I'd be interested in seeing.

-----------------------------------------------
I also wanted to talk a little bit about Clayton mechanics because I think there's a few key things that I've learned that are not immediately obvious when reading the Clayton card and thinking about how to construct a Cowboy army.

1. Mad Dog is glue of the Posse. I would not cut him for Johnny or James ever. I like to throw Mad Dog in the middle of the board in an annoying spot and make my opponent deal with him. Usually he can get engaged with enemies in Round 2 or Round 3, solely with Posse movement. When he's engaged, he has 3 defense 5 life, which is not an easy task to get through. And Brawler makes him do meaningful damage while he's there. Mad Dog sets a great screen for the rest of the Cowboys, and also their support piece.

2. Kate Crawford is a good second screen. As Mad Dog takes some wounds, you'll realize that you really liked having a multi-life hero in the front lines plugging enemy troops from freely running at the Cowboys or their support. Kate Crawford is a good second line. Her offensive firepower is a bit better when she's up close, she has 4 life, and Grit for a bit of extra defense. More than anything, Clayton and Guilty are great cleanup together so you want to preserve them for as long as you can. Guilty probably won't make it until endgame, but you want to make your opponent work for it.

3. Posse is great for running Clayton away and preserving Shootout. Like any OM hub army, there will be situations where your opponent will try to assassinate your hub, in this case Clayton. Because Clayton moves twice, once on his OM turn for Shootout and then again with Posse, a great strategy is to run Clayton away with Posse movement, far out of reach from your enemies, and then step him back forward again on your Clayton turn. This can make your Shootout OMs a lot safer, lets you flex them to later in the round when needed.
Old February 17th, 2023, 11:20 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The C3V Rules Team would like to add the following R&Cs:
Quote:
Q: What happens first, Sheriff's Posse or Orc Battle Rush?
A: If owned by the same player, that player may choose the order. If owned by different players, it is a roll-off to see which happens first.

Q: What happens first, Sheriff's Posse or the Glyph of Xipta?
Old September 25th, 2023, 03:56 PM

JustinHaze is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

When moving with Sheriff's Posse, would a figure moved from an engagement have disengagement rolled against them? The ability doesn't state either way.
Old September 25th, 2023, 04:05 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHaze View Post
When moving with Sheriff's Posse, would a figure moved from an engagement have disengagement rolled against them? The ability doesn't state either way.
If it doesn't say it ignores leaving engagement attacks, then it allows for them. Yes, Sheriff's Posse can trigger leaving engagement attacks.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs