Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old August 7th, 2017, 12:55 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Dr.Goomonkey's Battlefields of Valor

Will do! I didn't quite squeeze a game in last night, but tomorrow I'll be playing a few.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old August 11th, 2017, 02:44 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well, instead of getting a castle siege in, I got very sick, so I probably won't get around to playing on that map for a while. At least I'll have loads of availability for online games.

Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:45 PM
On vacation...

Well... I did finally get a siege Herbert's Castle, but it proved the difficulty of balancing castle sieges. Especially against newer players. The castle had the Wind Glyph, but no doors, and outside the castle were Attack +1 and Defense +1 Glyphs, right by the single swamp water space near the corners away from the start zones. I also moved the stone 7-hex right up to the single swamp water space to make it a little scrunchier, I guess.

The castle had 750 points and the two attacking armies had 400 points each, with two sets of order markers. One army was Drake v2 and the Airborne Elites and some Rats, and the other was the Hive and Stingers. The castle had Brandis Skyhunter, Syvarris, Deadeye Dan, a custom Human Champion, Thorgrim, Theracus, some Knights, and some Warriors of Ashra.

The castle army forfeited in round 4, if I remember correctly... I think it was a good balance of trying to hard to balance the castle, and of a lack of skill from the player defending it, but this was really a slaughter. Next time, I think Unique Attack +1 would be better, along with giving the castle at least the same point total that the attacking armies get, maybe even reversing that. I do like giving the castle wind over using the doors though.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:20 PM
On vacation...

That castle map ended up sitting unused for a while, and is now torn down. I don't think we'll ever get balancing castle sieges down to a science.

Here are a few maps I put together for the ARV contest.

Quilato Pass

I've played it with Defense +1 in the center, which feels very powerful on this map (I suppose it feels powerful on most maps). Range can pod up somewhat easily on the 7 hexers near the center.

This one probably won't be submitted, but it is a fun map to play on. I was trying to see about making a swampy mountain, but at the time I made it the rules hadn't changed so you could only use RotV in one set, and making a mountainous map without that would just be too hard (and I really wanted to use RotV for the Kyrien map).

Kyrien Plateau

Glyphs are seven spaces flying from each start zone and 10/11 spaces walking. I don't love that 6 space figures can reach the glyphs on move 2 and 5 move have to take 3 move. I'm also considering taking off the highest single spaces.

Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Tealeron Ten Years After

The top glyph is 10 move away from both start zones, 8 move flying. The bottom one is 7 move from both start zones, 6 flying. This map hasn't been played, but it is my favorite of the bunch.

Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; February 28th, 2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old February 28th, 2018, 02:43 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I think Taeleron Ten Years After looks really fun! I would either move the bottom glyph past the doorway, or add a treasure glyph there. If there's nothing there, nobody will go there, which is a shame because that's one of the coolest looking parts of the map.
Old February 28th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

To be frank, Kyrie Plateau seems VERY range (especially dragon) friendly. This map has such high height it’s going to be a nightmare for Melee to gain control. Any units with flying abilities will have an immense advantage. In fact, I could see a dragon army hopping around that height shooting Melee for days. Even the movement glyph is super hard to get to, and holding it would be difficult because of how hard it would be to keep retaking it. I’m very concerned with this map.

Taeleron seems the most fun, and I like asymmetric maps, but I’m afraid this is just too asymmetric. Usually balanced, asymmetric tourney maps (see Cypher by Robber), have a lot of symmetrical elements in them with some fun unique asymmetric elements that make gameplay interesting and fun. Balancing a map is hard enough as it is even with symmetrical maps and I’m worried this one pushes the boundary of assymmetrical too much. I believe you could still accomplish your design and theme goal by adding more symmetrical elements to the startzone, glyph placement and core of the footprint. Not sure what other judges will think, but that’s my opinion.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 28th, 2018, 07:12 PM
On vacation...

Thanks for the feedback, folks!

@Sir Heroscape , I definitely agree with you on Kyrien Plateau. When I made it I had hoped I could balance that a bit with the LoS blockers and Rannvieg, but to little avail. I've been leveling this map out a little so an updated version will be submitted.

I'm not sure if I think Tealeron is all that asymmetrical, though. The height down by the door could certainly be more symmetrical, by connecting the road around the trees. Do you have specific points where the asymmetry would effect gameplay? The Glyphs are even, unless you have a 5 move 2 spaced figure in the "right" start zone, and the ruined building across from the door seems very even to me.

Moving the bottom glyph into the "house" at the bottom would be fun. Something strong down there could certainly pull the battle down (as battles have stayed mostly on the other side of the road).

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:02 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Could you post the download link for the instructions? That way I can take a closer look

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old February 28th, 2018, 08:47 PM
On vacation...

That sounds good. I updated that post with links to those three and will stick a link to Tealeron here.

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old March 7th, 2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
That sounds good. I updated that post with links to those three and will stick a link to Tealeron here.
Sorry for getting side-tracked...I have been meaning to post. I like Taeleron the best, but the whole asymmetric thing that bugs me the most are the startzones. I think some Symmetry with the startzones should be reworked and I like your idea of the glyph inside the “house” as otherwise there is really no reason to go inside except maybe to hide at the end of a game when you’re the last figure.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old March 13th, 2018, 10:26 AM
On vacation...

After thinking about your observations, here are the updated versions of both of these maps. These versions haven't been played yet, but judging by the games on Kyrien Plateau this version should definitely be more reasonable. As for Tealeron, I think this version will be more conducive to going inside the house, but other than that is not all that different. Added more fo-symmetry to the bottom.

Kyrien Plateau

Tealeron Ten Years After

I haven't quite settled on what the glyphs should be for Tealeron... Once I make my mind up there I'll officially submit these. In the build instructions the treasure glyph is Thorian, because I have a fancy version of Virtualscape courtesy of @superfrog . The trap I've thought of is "roll one unblockable attack die against every figure you control on a swamp water space."

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Last edited by Dr.Goomonkey; March 14th, 2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old October 25th, 2018, 03:34 PM
On vacation...

Hey, hey! Here are a few maps I've made in the last couple of weeks. And here is all my sparkly water. I'm guessing that the start zones are pretty clear, as they are all 24-hexers placed at the end of the map, but let me know if you can't figure that out. Also, I didn't put glyphs on these but if I get around to making them on Virtualscape I probably will then.

Cool, Clear Water

Spoiler Alert!

Swimming in the Three

Bridge Over Sparkly Water

Spoiler Alert!

Q3C Custom Contests
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios