Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old September 9th, 2018, 08:25 PM

AStickInTheMud is surprisingly tart
AStickInTheMud's Customs

EDIT 10/30/2022:
Back again (after too long) with some more customs, and some minor edits to Arlinn Kord, Blazing Firecats, Kessig Rangers, Leyline Phantoms, Liliana Vess

New Units:

Jace Beleren, Illusionist:
Spoiler Alert!

Illusionary Projections:
Spoiler Alert!

Jace Beleren, Investigator:
Spoiler Alert!

Lantern Geists:
Spoiler Alert!

Ghoul Vanguard:
Spoiler Alert!

Let me know what you think!

ORIGINAL POST:
Hello all! I've decided I wanted to try my hand at converting the AotP figures for use in Heroscape. These are preliminary cards without art/figures (though they all use the same figures as the AotP releases). I've tentatively kept the costs the same, and preserved most of the stats from the original cards, but made some adjustments based on my intuition. I'd love to hear feedback, so without further ado:

Arlinn Kord:
Spoiler Alert!

Avacyn:
Spoiler Alert!

Avacynian Inquisitors:
Spoiler Alert!

Blazing Firecats:
Spoiler Alert!

Blighted Reavers:
Spoiler Alert!

Bloodline Nobles:
Spoiler Alert!

Elvish Rangers:
Spoiler Alert!

Gideon Jura:
Spoiler Alert!

Goblin Javelineers:
Spoiler Alert!

Flamewing Phoenixes:
Spoiler Alert!

Kor Aeronaut Captain:
Spoiler Alert!

Kor Hookmasters:
Spoiler Alert!

Kessig Rangers:
Spoiler Alert!

Liliana Vess:
Spoiler Alert!

Mad Prophet:
Spoiler Alert!

Leyline Phantoms:
Spoiler Alert!

Malakir Bloodchasers:
Spoiler Alert!

Nissa Revane:
Spoiler Alert!

Pummelroot Elementals:
Spoiler Alert!

Merfolk Roilmage:
Spoiler Alert!

Necro-Alchemist:
Spoiler Alert!

Restless Zombies:
Spoiler Alert!

Sorin Markov:
Spoiler Alert!

Rhox Veterans:
Spoiler Alert!

Tajuru Pathwardens:
Spoiler Alert!

Skirsdag Cultists:
Spoiler Alert!

More to come when I have time to finish them all. I'd appreciate some help on the missing characters, especially those who reference spell cards.

Because of the abundance of free damage in AotP, I've nerfed some auto-wound abilities, let me know what you think!

All cards made with the X-2 Custom Card Creator:
https://www.heroscapers.com/xorlof/x2cc/

Last edited by AStickInTheMud; October 31st, 2022 at 03:52 PM. Reason: More Customs, some edits
Old October 20th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!
Re: AStickInTheMud's Customs

Might change the "for" in Trample to "against". Other than that little wording thing I like your version of Trample. Plain and simple, no qualifications like must be "a squad figure" or something.

Curious as to why Haste became more like The Templars than Orc Battle Rush.

Also, haste has a loophole where you can circle an enemy to get an additional attack die, which I don't think you intended.

I would change snuff out to say "When using her normal attack, if Liliana Vess inflicts a least one wound, the defending figure receives one additional wound." This makes it more like Sharwin Wildborn's Shocking Grasp. I don't think its necessary to say "if the defending figure was not destroyed" but I could be wrong on that one (in terms of keeping consistent wording).

Go with the separate card for Werewolf form (and also would probably avoid calling it the "other" form, sounds cooler that way).

Last edited by yamissflash; October 31st, 2022 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Corrected a name mistake
Old October 30th, 2022, 10:02 PM

Back again (after too long) with some more customs, and some minor edits to Arlinn Kord, Blazing Firecats, Kessig Rangers, Leyline Phantoms, Liliana Vess

New Units:

Spoiler Alert!

Illusionary Projections:
Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Lantern Geists:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by AStickInTheMud; October 31st, 2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old October 31st, 2022, 01:54 PM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStickInTheMud View Post
Spoiler Alert!

Illusionary Projections:
Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Lantern Geists:
Spoiler Alert!

I really enjoy MtG lore and worlds, and seeing things I like represented in various other games I love!

Here are my initial thoughts on these Jaces & Phantoms

Seems a bit pricey and underwhelming.

Illusory Shift is an interesting ability with a lot more utility than you notice at first glance. It can be used to get your figures out of a Cyberclaw! Because it doesn't say the swapped figure has to be yours, just that it's small/medium Vydar; so you swap with your opponent's Gladiatron)) Realistically they'd just send in another Glad to claw Jace after that and the figure that didn't get a turn after being freed lol.
It's still fairly limited in use against opponent's figures, but I like that it works with every Vydar squad you run (at least in classic scape, don't know about c3v)

I think the Illusory Decoy ability could stand to be much more powerful and turn this Jace into a strong support unit. The fact that it only triggers on full blocks with 3D, 4L AND requires a previously destroyed Illusory Projection makes me skeptical it will occur often.
My thoughts for a beefier version that might justify the 140pts:

ILLUSORY DECOY
When a small or medium figure you control is attacked with a normal attack and at least 1 skull is rolled, you may roll the d20 before defending. If you roll a 13 or higher, ignore that attack and move the targeted figure up to 4 spaces. That figure must end this movement unengaged and you must place a previously destroyed Illusory Projection on the space previously occupied by the moved figure. Figures moved this way never take leaving engagement attacks. Jace can use Illusory Decoy on himself.

Illusory Projections:
Cool card, I think it's interesting how they can be used to make a normal attack with enemy figures.

Investigator:
Initially I was confused reading the Search for Answers ability, but I get it now because "Revealing" an order marker is a game action used to activate a card. I think it would be clearer if it didn't include the "without revealing" part. I don't foresee any real confusion with the term "shows you" being misinterpreted as "reveals and wastes OR takes an immediate turn."

Lantern Geists:
I like the Eerie Allurement ability a lot, but I would be mindful that it could be used to exploit leaving engagement attacks. An extra sentence to limit that might be necessary.

Also the Warlord class seems like an odd choice to me here. I would probably go with Devourers, Hunters, or Guard or make up my own like Wanderers.
Old October 31st, 2022, 03:41 PM

I actually didn't intend on the illusion abilities to be used on enemy figures, I just forgot the "you own" restriction lol. Now that you mention it though, I do actually like this utility a lot.

I agree with you on the costs for the planeswalker conversions being high. I initially just subtracted 200 from the original figures, but the stats do seem a bit weak. Wasn't really sure where to cost Jace though, since the power is original and seems to have a lot of utility. I think making the power a generalist support ability would be the way to go.

The "without revealing" clause does read a bit clunky, but you got it; it's to prevent powers that rely on revealing order markers.

Allurement is actually meant to force a leaving engagement attack (or lead someone into lava i guess), but i should probably only limit it to one attack.

The warlord class is actually a typo, I forgot to change it from the ghoul vanguard I designed (which I also forgot to include in that post). They are meant to be wardens.

Ghoul Vanguard:
Spoiler Alert!

I'll update the mistakes as I have free time, since there's a few typos on the older cards as well that need to be fixed.

Last edited by AStickInTheMud; October 31st, 2022 at 04:21 PM.
Old October 31st, 2022, 07:07 PM

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

Ghoul Vanguard is way underpriced, and probably broken. His ability lets him take a turn with Cyprien Esenwein in addition to his (and with Ornak once per round could take 2 turns in one order market with Cyprien and one with the ghoul, since it doesn’t have the revealing an OM requirement.

The Cyprien bonding and ability resurrect Cyprien by killing your own Venoc Viper or Zombie (since the zombie could respawn with Cyprien’s next kill) and just keep cycling.

You would need to make the abilities say an “undead squad figure you control.”And only respawn when they kill an opponent’s figure. Also taking a turn with someone else powers need revealing an OM requirement if it’s an automatic every turn thing.

As much as I like powers with few restrictions, this power needs it.

Even then I’m not sure if 100 points is enough. I really like the power it’s just going to have a lot of balancing work

Last edited by yamissflash; October 31st, 2022 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Corrected a typo, there may still be more
Old October 31st, 2022, 07:38 PM

Cyprien's kills are not intended to reanimate undead. Only figures that are destroyed "this turn" (the vanguard's turn) can be reanimated, so unless somehow it gets a double attack, only 1 per activation.

It's a bit of confusion with how Heroscape's turn structure is worded in powers (something which I very much praise MtG for its clarity).

I think another confusion might stem from "you own" vs "you control," which I might have been in error in thinking the two were analagous.

As it stands, bonding and reanimating with Cyprien is probably the best case scenario, so the squad figure restriction could probably be added to one or the other.

Last edited by AStickInTheMud; November 1st, 2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old November 10th, 2022, 08:44 PM

Sorry I definitely read into that too much.

I think the issue with wording is that Heroscape doesn’t use “this turn” for this kind of power. It uses something like “Each time Ghoul Vanguard destroys a figure …”. That’s how all the Vampires’ Life Drain is worded and it clears up confusion, important for Iskra Esenwein, who’s Life Drain & Retchet Summoning could cause a similar situation (Retchets’ kills healing her) had it been worded as “this turn”. (Also interesting about MtG, I sometimes run into the issue of having to look up things because it’s not clear from the cards alone what triggers when. Especially in combat phase)

Did you intend to have him bond with Roman Legionaries (warlord) and take a turn with an undead, or did you just want him to be able to pick one of the two like Werewolf Lord and his Hybrid Hero/Wolves of Badru

Last edited by yamissflash; November 10th, 2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old November 14th, 2022, 11:24 AM

I would say the latter is more healthy for game balance. Chaining bonding abilities seems a bit too strong, so I'll probably change the class there to avoid the Romans interaction.

The idea was just to have a frontline vanguard for an undead army that plays more into the sacrificing the small weak zombies as a swarm tactic, more than the vampires do to heal themselves. This way they also flavorfully play well with Liliana here for more melee swarm armies.
Old November 14th, 2022, 07:47 PM

Ok I think making his command the undead only work on figures with a decay marker would help create the swarm effect. (Also keeps him closer to the AotP card if that is important to you)
Old November 14th, 2022, 10:27 PM

I agree with the bonding being restricted to the decayed units. Best case there is still reanimating your cyprien, but now instead of getting 2 cypriens worth of health to burn through you only need to kill one, then the vanguard who is most likely in a risky position. Also nerfs the ability a bit more to not inflate the cost, which is nice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards