Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old August 5th, 2022, 08:12 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: "Official" Paint Index

I'm hoping for a revival of this thread's premise. The ability to give certain unpainted sculpts congruency with classic units from their appropriate factions is about to drastically increase in value...
Old August 6th, 2022, 09:47 PM

fastbilly1 knows what's in an order marker fastbilly1 knows what's in an order marker

The paint game has changed since 2008. Now you can load a photo into a colour match site, then take the hex code for each colour and throw it into Encycolorpedia and get the closest paint in a couple dozen brands - including Automotive and House paints.

In about a minute I downloaded the card of Allistar MacDirk from here, cut it down to just the character portrait, uploaded it to PrintKick, clicked on the tartan, got the hex value of #26453b, loaded that into Encycoloropedia. So in a minute I figured out the closet green craft paint I can get to Allistar MacDriks tartan is Delta Creamacoats Pine green with a ΔE = 2.471. Which sounds bad, but most people cant tell the difference of a ΔE under 3, especially under normal lighting. For example a ΔE of 6 is acceptable in production printing.

I am not recommending doing it to every figure, unless we can somehow automate the process.

Links:
https://www.printkick.com/tools/image-colour-match
https://encycolorpedia.com/

Note - I have no connection to either site, but Encycloropedia has saved me at my day job alot over the last few years.
Old August 6th, 2022, 10:21 PM

Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby! Mythic rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbilly1 View Post
The paint game has changed since 2008. Now you can load a photo into a colour match site, then take the hex code for each colour and throw it into Encycolorpedia and get the closest paint in a couple dozen brands - including Automotive and House paints.
I am not recommending doing it to every figure, unless we can somehow automate the process.

Links:
https://www.printkick.com/tools/image-colour-match
https://encycolorpedia.com/

Note - I have no connection to either site, but Encycloropedia has saved me at my day job alot over the last few years.
Wow. Could you do this for the Fortress wall color? I've been trying to match it for forever for 3D printed walls, etc.

I was EyeOfSauron back in the day.
Now I'm Mythic.
Old August 6th, 2022, 11:00 PM

fastbilly1 knows what's in an order marker fastbilly1 knows what's in an order marker

Based off the photo from the manual it is Pantone 406 C. So your best bets are:
Apple Barrel: Granite Grey - ΔE = 3.647
Vallejo Game Color: Stone Wall Grey - ΔE = 4.584
Behr: Downhome - ΔE = 1.519

If we get a better photo of the fortress wall we can get it exactly.
Old August 7th, 2022, 03:09 AM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Based off the photo from the manual it is Pantone 406 C. So your best bets are:
Apple Barrel: Granite Grey - ΔE = 3.647
Vallejo Game Color: Stone Wall Grey - ΔE = 4.584
Behr: Downhome - ΔE = 1.519

If we get a better photo of the fortress wall we can get it exactly.
I don't have the best camera, but I do have pretty good lighting.
Old August 7th, 2022, 11:34 AM

Thanks Blast Shark. Looks like it is a step between Pantone 401 C and 402 C (likely a mix of the two), so the photo on the cover was close.

For 401c:
Delta - Sand Dune: ΔE = 3.938
Behr - Stingray Grey: ΔE = 1.264
Citadel/GW - Rakarth Flesh: ΔE = 4.826

For 402c:
Delta - Rain Grey: ΔE = 3.768
Behr - Iron Gate: ΔE = 0.751
Citadel/GW - Rakarth Flesh: ΔE = 3.428

The catch is those are matte finish, unless you use Behr and get a gloss, youll have to get a can of a gloss sealant to get it that dull shine like the originals. Or you can just give all of your castle parts a quick once over with a wash and they will all look the same. I gave my fortress sets a wash years ago, and since it was during my minwax dip days, it is a bit bigger of a pain to strip clean so I wont be much help in direct testing. But my minwaxed castle has lived through 50+ conventions of play and still looks great.

Edit:
Just to be clear, by wash I mean a minis wash, in simple terms a super thinned down paint to get into the recesses. They are not expensive to make or apply and really make a difference on anything with details like the stone work on the wall.
Old August 7th, 2022, 05:54 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

A simple wash you can make that I got from Grungebob is to take equal parts water and future floor polish, and then add a couple drops of a darker color. Mix, brush it on and then wipe off excess. Super easy, and cheap.
Old November 20th, 2022, 03:48 PM

I am working on a version of this index that will be fairly future proof. As described earlier, I am using a colour checker to obtain the Hex then converting that to Pantone and acceptable colours in current craft paints. So if somehow GW or Plaid go out of business you will still be able to convert the PMS colour to the current standards.

I am building it offline since it is a bit of a slog and thats easier for me.

Old November 28th, 2022, 05:57 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I am working on a version of this index that will be fairly future proof. As described earlier, I am using a colour checker to obtain the Hex then converting that to Pantone and acceptable colours in current craft paints. So if somehow GW or Plaid go out of business you will still be able to convert the PMS colour to the current standards.

I am building it offline since it is a bit of a slog and thats easier for me.
This is great. I hope to see what you've managed to get done. Maybe the OP could be transferred to your account if you get all of the hex of every color on every figure.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions