Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: 4th>10th

I've never liked redheads... or coats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
My opinion: 10th = 4th no reason in my book to attempt to prove one better than the other. Its Ginger or Marryanne.

Then there are those who prefer the Professor.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Advocates Stripping (& Is 47.8% Right)

RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness RoninValentina wears ripped pants of awesomeness

So its safe to say then the reasons being argued here for the subpar nature of the 10th is simply a cost/benefit ratio problem. The 4th Mass can do the same thing better and with more figures, or Stingers can screen themselves more easily for less. If that's the case, what is it going to take to make the 10th more [competitively] playable? Not necessarily what new unit or ability would have to be released later, but what sort of powers or combinations would the 10th find ideal in boosting their effectiveness?

- Heroscape is a standing game. -
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Even though it's just the post above, I'll quote RV here because this thread has a lot going on. Also, I still think the 10th are good, just... 4th best, and in a melee heavy metagame (perhaps at the Nebraska Skirmish for example), maybe even higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninValentina View Post
So its safe to say then the reasons being argued here for the subpar nature of the 10th is simply a cost/benefit ratio problem. The 4th Mass can do the same thing better and with more figures, or Stingers can screen themselves more easily for less. If that's the case, what is it going to take to make the 10th more [competitively] playable? Not necessarily what new unit or ability would have to be released later, but what sort of powers or combinations would the 10th find ideal in boosting their effectiveness?

Larger starting zones perhaps?

I think the problem with most 10th+ whatever builds is that the sweet spot for them (and the 4th Mass) is at 4 squads. For the Romans or Deathreavers, it's probably at 3. So you really need more room.

Let's say you had a 31 hex starting zone (one 24-hex + 1 7-hex) for 600 points (purposely chosen).

4x Redcoats 300
3x Romans 450
Marcus 550
Me-Burq-Sa 600 (31 hexes)

What would I do for the 4th Mass?

Probably...

7x Mass 490
Sgt. Drake (RotV) 600 (29 hexes)

I'm not sure which is better, because I've never played either of those armies, but that might be all it takes. Glads/Blasts and Rats/Stingers probably get really scary under those parameters though.

Edit: let's see.

4x Gladiatrons 320
3x Blastatrons 500
Raelin 580
Marcu or Isamu+Otonashi 600 (30/31)

6x Stingers 360
3x Deathreavers 480
Kaemon Awa/Skahen/RaeRaeSotM 600 (31)

Pretty nasty.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; January 20th, 2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added a quote and some extra editorializing.
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Taking Suggestions...

Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Ty the Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Oh, why did you have to start this argument again? It never ends!

Seriously, though, I think they're both great in different ways. The 4th, as stated, are superior in Valiant armies. The 10th offer the same style, plus some of their own, but have superior flexibility. And, as Jexik pointed out on the first page, the 4th can struggle against Q9. So, how about putting Q9 in your 10th army? And yes, you could put Q9 in a 4th army. But no one who's building a competitive 4th army will do that. It's not worth losing the extra defense.

So, to recap. 4th are the superior squad, 10th offer related abilities, while giving the option to use other units you wouldn't normally use. End of debate (I hope).

Ty the Awasome is the S.A.S. Commando, Maj. Thompson
...in the LIBRARY...
Old January 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun

I personally prefer the 4th Mass as well. However just judging by this thread, you can see how close the two units are. With an argument as heated as this one, it is quite obvious that these two units are very similar and both quite competitive. Overall though the 4th Mass is the one for me (although I really need to be getting more than 2 sets....)

Also it helps that Charos is my favorite unit......
Old January 19th, 2009, 09:12 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Larger starting zones perhaps? Let's say you had a 31 hex starting zone (one 24-hex + 1 7-hex) for 600 points (purposely chosen).

4x Redcoats 300
3x Romans 450
Marcus 550

You may be on to something there. I remember a tournament a few months ago where Haleon won handily with an army of 10th Foot, Sacred Band, and MDG. But that tourney had larger than normal point limits and starting zones (600 pts / 30 spaces if I recall correctly).

The larger starting zone allowed him to make full use of the cheap infantry screen and keep the Disciplined Army bonus for the Sacred Band.

So for large starting zones, 10th>4th (?)
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_Tiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Larger starting zones perhaps? Let's say you had a 31 hex starting zone (one 24-hex + 1 7-hex) for 600 points (purposely chosen).

4x Redcoats 300
3x Romans 450
Marcus 550

You may be on to something there. I remember a tournament a few months ago where Haleon won handily with an army of 10th Foot, Sacred Band, and MDG. But that tourney had larger than normal point limits and starting zones (600 pts / 30 spaces if I recall correctly).

The larger starting zone allowed him to make full use of the cheap infantry screen and keep the Disciplined Army bonus for the Sacred Band.

So for large starting zones, 10th>4th (?)

I think this is certainly true for the 10th and Ashigaru. They need cheerleaders to help them compete with other ranged squads like the 4th, Stingers and Blasts.

These units can all act as their own cheerleaders in a sense. Stingers can increase their own attack at a risk of losing units, which becomes less of a consequence as their numbers grow. Pure valiant 4th has the benefit of extra defense, and Blastatrons can help themselves if it comes down to it by moving themselves adjacent to enemies for Homing Device bonuses.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:44 AM

STEALTHRULER is surprisingly tart

I wish I had that many squads of 10th and 4th. Anyway, I have been reading and everyone here brings an excellent point; however, I do have one thing do add in. The 4th are a much better ranged defense squad.

First of all, I'm not saying the 10th have a horrible defense, but with the valiant army def Bonus, they can have a huge advantage when in a castle, or high elevation of any sort as opposed to the redcoats.

When in melee cicumstances (not a melee game) The 10th fair better because of bayonet and melee defense, making them much more offensive. You can simply "attack" with more confidence.

5 points may not seem like a big trade-off, but those 2 squads of 10th you get may cost you from getting Isamu, everyone's favorite filler who has saved the day. You guys know what I mean.

You also have to look at it in a real life prespective as well. The figures are much like the real soldiers. In real life, the british outnumbered the Americans with 40,000 trained soldiers to 10,000, maybe less militiamen. We still won. It goes to show you, what seems what may be better isn't always true. I think the developers had this in mind when creating the figures. Just a thought that burst into my mind.

My Customs My Maps
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:51 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHRULER View Post
I wish I had that many squads of 10th and 4th. Anyway, I have been reading and everyone here brings an excellent point; however, I do have one thing do add in. The 4th are a much better ranged defense squad.

First of all, I'm not saying the 10th have a horrible defense, but with the valiant army def Bonus, they can have a huge advantage when in a castle, or high elevation of any sort as opposed to the redcoats.

When in melee cicumstances (not a melee game) The 10th fair better because of bayonet and melee defense, making them much more offensive. You can simply "attack" with more confidence.

5 points may not seem like a big trade-off, but those 2 squads of 10th you get may cost you from getting Isamu, everyone's favorite filler who has saved the day. You guys know what I mean.

You also have to look at it in a real life prespective as well. The figures are much like the real soldiers. In real life, the british outnumbered the Americans with 40,000 trained soldiers to 10,000, maybe less militiamen. We still won. It goes to show you, what seems what may be better isn't always true. I think the developers had this in mind when creating the figures. Just a thought that burst into my mind.

You do know that we won because we didnt stand in straight lines and fight like the British did right? AND You also do know that you do not have to keep the 10th foot in a straight line in the game, right?

Also...if you are only using Ismau as filler than you aren't using him correctly..and he is not Valliant so you would not get the bonus for using him in a 4th Mass build.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHRULER View Post
In real life, the british outnumbered the Americans with 40,000 trained soldiers to 10,000, maybe less militiamen. We still won. It goes to show you, what seems what may be better isn't always true.
*chuckle* Well now you're just making stuff up

~Aldin, historically

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

I thought we won the war because the French helped us out.

Quote:

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion