Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old September 19th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Orc's Power Rankings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Probably nitpicking here, but if you've got Romans up at A-, I could see Valguard being B+. I was trying to play low when I ran romans in RtW a couple years ago, but he was a big time player. He's so tough to kill and Romans usually have someone else to bond with if needed. He might be 4th best behind Marcus, MBS, and NGS, but he does provide something different. Agh, Morgrimm too, hmm. They really have great options.

Also, I've stuck this thread. Nice work and discussion.

And Drake's rating had always been based on monolithic Valiant armies using him. In that context (of say the old 520 with 5x Mass), he was a player, but perhaps a bit player. Paying 15 more for Nilf was never really an option.
Thanks for the sticky! Feels like I finally made it, now I can retire and die happy (??).

I really do like Valguard. Perhaps he is worth a B+. The problem is, as you mention, the rather stacked lineup he's competing for a slot with. I actually really like him in a Sacred Band build to be their NGS and tank hits on the front line as well as be a threat.

On Drake, good point. A- is probably fair, although I'm not sure how much of that is him and how much of it is the 4th...
Old September 19th, 2018, 08:03 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Ehh, I'd recommend playing a dozen or so games with Heavies and then switching to Blades. I think you'll be amazed (as I was) at just how useful the 6th move is.

On our game, I think you win if it's not RtW. I wouldn't recommend bringing Zelrig in RtW, he's pretty brutal.

Part of the strength of Concan is his fear factor. Fly up, whack Zelrig for 4 dice, maybe get a hit. Now, Zelrig either has to leave height and take a disengage or he runs the risk of Concan/ a PK whacking him with 4 dice. I think you're happy with either result.
I'll definitely have to proxy them sometime and see just how different they play firsthand.

Eh, I don't have enough common squads to use Zelrig at my own games very often, so it's a nice chance to bring him out (even if he terrorizes my own armies as compensation).

That's why I mentioned that I probably still should have flown up Concan, since I could've at least forced you off of the height. Hindsight is 20/20.
Man, proxy ALL the commons. Your fundamentals are already extremely solid. Once you clean them up just a tad and learn to play a bunch of different competitive armies, you're gonna be a great player. Most people don't perform very well at their first GenCon (other than a few people who I had previously heard of).

Also, just play Scape all 4 days. It's the only game that matters .
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Despite popluar belief, Valguard's pretty good.
Old September 20th, 2018, 03:13 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Man, proxy ALL the commons. Your fundamentals are already extremely solid. Once you clean them up just a tad and learn to play a bunch of different competitive armies, you're gonna be a great player. Most people don't perform very well at their first GenCon (other than a few people who I had previously heard of).

Also, just play Scape all 4 days. It's the only game that matters .
Thanks for the confidence! I'll definitely begin proxying more stuff that I don't own. It'd help immensely to have familiarity with more than whatever I could scrounge up on my own, I think.

And while the idea of playing 'Scape every day is tempting, there are still plenty of other things that I'd like to (and should) do as someone going into the Game Design field.

I'm pretty sad that I couldn't go to the Team Tournament this year, though, so I'll probably sign up for that as well (and a C3V one if it's added). Don't worry, you probably haven't seen the last of me.
Old September 20th, 2018, 04:06 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Multiplicity of Units

@Astroking112 Online Scape is also really helpful for getting to play with things you don't own. I feel fairly confident playing with just about anything at this point (seriously you should see some of the garbage I've brought to events where we I can force a certain set of armies to play against each other; dividers vs zombies was a personal favorite for amusement purposes, but I've played many other weird hodgepodges against each other) and Online Scape was very helpful in that respect.

Valguard is really underrated in my opinion. A tank that can hit for five dice is not to be underestimated. I think Drake is just very good for those points with lots of options (movement and a SA) and he just no sells some very good units (Krav, Wait then fire squads). I think he fulfills a different role than Nilf in an army so that's why I thought you were being a bit down on him. I need to go back through and find out all the places we squabbled and see if I have any further thoughts.
Old September 23rd, 2018, 09:50 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Multiplicity of Units

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
@Astroking112 Online Scape is also really helpful for getting to play with things you don't own. I feel fairly confident playing with just about anything at this point (seriously you should see some of the garbage I've brought to events where we I can force a certain set of armies to play against each other; dividers vs zombies was a personal favorite for amusement purposes, but I've played many other weird hodgepodges against each other) and Online Scape was very helpful in that respect.
Definitely. I got Tabletop Simulator a while back for the HeroScape mod, and whenever I load that up I generally make a point of using units that I don't own. I haven't really delved into Online Scape, but I'm sure that it'd be the same.
Old October 9th, 2018, 12:18 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Edited with descriptions for some units, thoughts? Trying to reflect the power level of the unit as well as give some very basic advice on how to play it (and, conversely, how to beat it). Also trying to make it new player friendly.
Old October 9th, 2018, 11:15 AM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Edited with descriptions for some units, thoughts? Trying to reflect the power level of the unit as well as give some very basic advice on how to play it (and, conversely, how to beat it). Also trying to make it new player friendly.
I’ve never been to a tournament, but these are great descriptions so far! I’m excited to see what gets added on!
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Quote:
I’ve never been to a tournament, but these are great descriptions so far! I’m excited to see what gets added on!
Great, thanks for the feedback!
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:16 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I like the blurbs so far! I wasn't confused by the "4x4" notation -- (number of attacks)x(attack dice per attack) -- but I wonder if others (especially newbs) might be.
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I like the blurbs so far! I wasn't confused by the "4x4" notation -- (number of attacks)x(attack dice per attack) -- but I wonder if others (especially newbs) might be.
Good point, thanks! I'll make a mention of that. I'm also going to make an index of commonly used terms in the competitive scene (for example, what's the difference between a Bruiser and Can-Opener, kiting, tech, splash, etc) and include a link to it.
Old October 9th, 2018, 01:24 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

That would be a really great resource.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion