Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old January 25th, 2016, 04:37 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

We have been playing a lot of Firefly and Spartacus these past 3 weeks. Have introduced 4 new players to Spartacus over that time and they all have really liked it. We just need to get the expansions now so we can play with more than 4 players at a time. Only one complaint at this point from me, the house featured on the show that you want to play and root for is the one house that has the hardest time winning. The other 3 seem really well balanced but that one house just starts off with at a disadvantage (3 gladiators and only 1 slave, costing you 2 gold per upkeep) they can't seem to overcome very often. I'm starting to think we may give them an extra slave to start the game going forward.
Old January 25th, 2016, 05:27 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

YK,

I've seen the show, but don't have the game. Like everyone wants the Firefly crew in that game (where they are very powerful), perhaps they assume that everyone will rush to take the TV family, and so have intentionally given them an ironic handicap!

Manu Bennett--Crixius in the TV Spartacus-- is now the Druid in Chronicles in Shannara. I knew I'd seen him someplace...
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:27 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Played a four player game of Small World and a five player Game of Seven Wonders with the Leaders expansion over the weekend. I came in second in Small World and finished first in Seven Wonders with a third age military buildup.
Old January 26th, 2016, 07:52 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgarath View Post
Played a four player game of Small World and a five player Game of Seven Wonders with the Leaders expansion over the weekend. I came in second in Small World and finished first in Seven Wonders with a third age military buildup.
I like Small World quite a bit. I only get to play it once or twice a year, though, as it's not a favorite of the group I usually game with.

If you're not rolling for Stinger Drain, you're not living.
Old January 27th, 2016, 12:02 AM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1998 View Post
Quote:
I like Small World quite a bit. I only get to play it once or twice a year, though, as it's not a favorite of the group I usually game with.
Ya I really have a blast with it whenever it hits the table, which isn't as often as I'd like. My youngest son(11yo) is brutal when it comes to Small World.

Played a couple of games of Marvel Legendary tonight. I liked it but it seems too easy with the starter setup. We played a two player game followed by a four player game and we defeated the mastermind easily both times. I'm interested to see how it plays with a tougher mastermind.
Old January 27th, 2016, 12:30 AM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I'm interested to see how it plays with a tougher mastermind.
Try Apocalypse.
Old January 27th, 2016, 12:35 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

While my first 3 games of Mercs Recon were solo, as it is a 1-5 player co-op, I got to teach 4 others last night at game night. Fun stuff!

Jeff - Leader
Rob T. - Sergeant
Mickey - Medic (crazy medic)
Teddy - Shocktrooper
Greg - Analyst (me)

We played the EU Inc. faction, based out of Brussels.

Mission - Ice Breaker

"The activation sequence is preprogrammed into the robot. Use it to reveal the access panel containing the Cryo-chip data files."

Our first objective was to locate and secure the Robot Arm. Our insertion point was the elevators.

Second objective was to defend the Robot Arm for 5 rounds after locating it and securing it via a successful Breach and Clear of the room it was in.

Things started off quiet, just a bunch of admins and other workers running about frantically, or cowering after seeing us burst from the elevators. The Leader scanned the closest room of suspicion and revealed the safe room. The Analyst is the tech guy, so he went in and interacted with the safe to get some info that might help when they breached the the mission objective. Sergeant captured and interrogated a nearby Admin, and she spilled her guts, "figuratively", and she told us where the Robot Arm was located. It was in the "employee bathroom" down the hall.

We made our way down to where we needed to go fairly easily. Captured a couple workers, yet a few escaped, though the Analyst was kind of anxious and spiked a worker to death as the worker foolishly ventured out into the hallway. Just before the "bathroom", we had a couple visitors coming out of the nearby stairwell. I believe the Leader and Medic did some shooting and killed one. The Analyst used his I/O Spike to shim one of the security forces in the nuts, and then got out of the way before the Shocktrooper came over to do some collateral damage.

Upon Breaching the "bathroom", we had a host of security forces waiting for us. We exchanged lots of gunfire, and the Anylyst did some more shimming. After the dust settled, the bad guys were dead, we took some wounds, and the Robot Arm was secured. Sergeant Toso, the Shocktrooper and Leader (I believe) stayed in and interacted with the Robot Arm and healed a little bit, while the Analyst and Medic stood guard outside of the "bathroom".

Now all heck broke loose, as we had some tougher security forces coming out of both stairwells, and then a lot of black blips on the radar. We were in pretty good shape up to that point, but then we realized that the Medic was right, we needed to hole up in the big office with all the desks. So Sarge hung out in the bathroom, saying that he had to "reload", while the rest of the Mercs did what they could to hold off the security forces as we made our way to the big office. Eventually Sarge came out and joined the party and everyone was blasting away, except the Analyst, who was melee only.

Then things got worse, as the 3 black "blips on the radar" ended up becoming 9 Security Force level 4's, really bad ass. Oh boy! Fortunately we were able to make it to the large office, though there was some major building damage outside one of the doors. That's where Teddy the Shocktrooper decided to make his stand and lay down some hellish fire on a bunch of the SecFor 4's. At this point, we didn't care about the building damage any longer, and the Shock had a glorious look on his face as he sprayed his flechette ammo all over the place. Sarge had seen that look in the Shock's face before, another time perhaps, when the Shock had been a mere Sniper. Sarge shouted a warning, but Shock knew what he was doing. Meanwhile, the Anylist kept saying, "we all don't have to live to succeed in this mission."

Eventually Shock came into the office. The Medic healed some wounds from the Shock and Leader I believe (can't recall, though I remember the Analyst telling the medic to keep his lousy bandages earlier in the battle. "Save it for someone that needs it more than me!").

The Anyalist was waiting next to one of the doors, waiting to stab anyone that came in. Sarge, Medic and the Leader were in far corners on overwatch. Shock was just trying to stay out of everyone's way, so he hung out in the middle of the office. The Secfor 4's burst in. Anylist stabbed one with a wound. Sarge and Medic were shooting, and the Leader was waiting until he saw the whites of their eyes before shooting. Though, when he did, Shock was in the way and was dancing to avoid friendly fire.

Then it was the Secfor's turn. Analyst got shot a few times but had a few wounds left to take. The Shock was just in the worst spot, as the the Leader having highest priority, was the main focus of the Secfor's, and the Shock was kind of in the way. Every time the Secfor shot at the Leader, the Shock had to see if he got any wounds, taking some for the Leader. After all the Shock had done outside the room, and now to see his Leader actively cheering for him to take a few bullets for him. The sad look on the Shock's face belied his feelings of being expendable, he kept hoping to hear a woman's voice saying, "your not expendable Shock".

The rain of bullets seemed to last forever, especially for the Leader and the Shock. It was a dance of death that both managed to tiptoe through.

Sarge checked his watch and gave us the good news. We kept the Security Forces occupied long enough for HQ to get what they needed remotely from the Robot Arm once we uploaded the Cryo-chip data files and send in an extraction team to get us out of there. They were here and blasting the Secfor out in the hall.

We were bloodied, but we all lived.

The final showdown, we were in the big office tile on the right side of the board, right before the enemy came in from two doors.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 27th, 2016, 06:46 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Attended the first very successful meeting of our new local board game group last night. Sixteen people showed up, about half of whom play "themed" games. So we had one table of six playing Trivial Pursuit, another Ticket To Ride, and four of us playing Evolution. So besides the eight who came to our organizational meeting last week, I met lots more new folks who may become friends and game here or at their places with me too. It went so well we're meeting again next week! I've also made more game dates here based on hanging out with them and other old and new pals. One is painting up his own Blood Rage minis with his nine year old daughter (obviously destined to become a future Shield Maiden), and will bring some to put in a game I run here!

I also learned a traditional two player Tamil game "Goats and Tigers" that is a variation of the traditional European Fox and Hounds. An Indian guy brought it to show us as promised last week. Its carved on temple walls in his part of the word--from thousands of years ago. Yep, that's pretty traditional!

Next week I'll bring Conquest of Planet Earth again, since we didn't get to it this time. It gave me a chance to go over the rules and type up my four pages of notes of obscure rules clarifications from a couple of years ago. So after that, you know I'll get it to the table at one place or another soon--and with the Apocalypse Expansion included!

Last edited by chas; February 1st, 2016 at 07:24 AM.
Old January 28th, 2016, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Pig View Post
Quote:
I'm interested to see how it plays with a tougher mastermind.
Try Apocalypse.
I'll do that.
Old February 1st, 2016, 07:28 AM

After one solitaire of Yashima, Kolakoski beat me in all three of my first face to face plays! We'll probably try the four player team version after our next Scape games in a week. Don't know how I feel about it yet, but its worth exploring some more.

I've now played Blood Rage 16 times; last time with a fan variant which worked quite well. Kemet Ta-seti is also fun; I've done two two player games only so far. And MTG:Planeswalkers Zendikar was good in my first three solitaire plays: the game with three players vs the Big Monster was very close. The next Master Set of it coming out in the Fall should really kick it up another level, since it will finally allow for some real deck and army building (without combining it with Scape, although that will always be an option).

Getting Richard Borg's The Great War (WWI) has been delayed, but I'm hoping to have it soon. I read the rules online, and as usual with any Commands & Colors game, I already know 80% of the rules from playing other C&C designs. Tally Ho, and Over the Top, men!
Old February 1st, 2016, 07:42 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Sounds like you've been quite active Chas, very cool. I only played Blood Rage once and liked it. Speaking of The Great War, several people in my game group are volunteering to demo games at a convention in March, where some of the proceeds go to veteran charities. So I may be going with a military game theme by either demoing The Great War, Sergeants Miniatures Game or Warfighter Tactical Special Forces Card Game.

Over the weekend, I played a couple solo games of Mercs Recon. I'm really loving that game. I also played Between Two Cities with my daughters. That is a really neat game as well.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 1st, 2016, 07:48 AM

Hahma,

My new pal Matt, who just formed our new local board game group, was going to play his own copy of Blood Rage with his nine year old daughter and her pals last Saturday. He's painting up the miniatures too!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games