Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Notices

Old November 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Dominion.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/36218

I've played this well over a dozen times face-to-face and about a hundred times on the BrettSpielWelt website in the last fortnight.

It kind of brings to mind the look and feel of CCGs in their early days, as you discover new card interactions and combos, and work on building decks that are better than everybody elses, except it's not in the least bit collectible.

Well worth checking out.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old November 11th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Heroic Monkey is surprisingly tart
Re: Dominion.

Wow, I just came here to make a thread about Dominion. Looks like you beat me to it!

I agree, the game is great. I love how only 10 kingdom cards are used out of the 25 available.

My username on BSW is the same that it is on this forum. I'd be happy to play against any Scapers if I bump into them online.
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:19 PM

Hey - mine too!

How *exactly* does your BSW username appear - with a space/without/any capitals?

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

Last edited by RichardD; November 11th, 2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old November 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM

My BSW name has no spaces. It's "HeroicMonkey."
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:55 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This game is sitting in my bedroom (along with several others) waiting for someone to give it to me as a Christmas present. I am hoping that it will be a game that my sons will enjoy. They like various card games like Yugio. I know this game is much different than that, but what is your sense of how quickly a kid could pick up on this (my sons are 11 and .

I'm also hopin my wife may like this one. She has nothing to do with Heroscape or any other wargames. She will play Settlers, Ticket to Ride, etc. But she really likes traditional card games (Rummy, Rook, Soltaire.) So again, how do you think she may respond to this game?

EDIT: LOL - I just now noticed that the "cool" emoticon was used where I had typed an 8 and a parenthesis. My other is 8, although I think both of them are pretty

Last edited by jbbnbsmith; November 20th, 2008 at 04:50 PM.
Old November 19th, 2008, 02:19 AM

I think they will be able to handle it very well, jbbnbsmith. It's very easy to teach to new players. So far my non-gaming mom and dad have really enjoyed Dominion. I spent very little time explaining the rules and they fully understood it after a few turns. I think 11 years is definitely old enough for someone to understand the rules, and I wouldn't be surprised if an 8 year-old could understand too.

I hope you have a fun time with it!
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:02 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker

I heart this game. I've played maybe 30 games online. heart it heart it heart it.

Environmentalists make great compost.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

This one was already on my BGG wishlist, and you guys are making me want to try it even more. I may have to drop some strong hints to the wife about this and Christmas.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:50 PM

30 games? I've managed at least that many face-to-face in about 4 weeks. Plus another 160 games online

I haven't met anyone yet who disliked it, but there habve been plenty of people who didn't think it was anything special. they're still in the minority though, when compared to the number of people who think that it *is* something special.

It's *very* easy to explain to people ("A, B, C"), and very easy to play. But there's a fair amount of variety, which tends to keep people coming back for more.

Old November 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is all good to hear. I kind of bought this (for myself) as an impulse buy based solely on all the hype. So far it sounds like it will have been a good choice.

EDIT: LOL - I just now noticed that in my first post the "cool" emoticon was used where I had typed an 8 and a parenthesis. My younger son is 8, although I think both of them are pretty
Old November 21st, 2008, 09:37 AM

It's only "hype" when the product wasn't worthy of it

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I got a chance to demo this at BGG.con this last weekend and was very impressed. I wanted to play again but had to wait until the new shipment arrived on Saturday since the demo tables for the game were packed.

The game has a lot of replayability and changing out the resource decks can make a big impact on the tactics used in the game.

I think what impressed me the most was that I wanted more play time after each game and that was only using the standard setup for all of the games.

If you like card games but don't like the baggage that comes with CCGs, this game will fit the bill.

Newb.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games