Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Old June 24th, 2020, 03:37 PM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker
Re: 2020 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 1 until 7/5

Just finished up with coachmuskie. Is there a form to report the victory?
Old June 24th, 2020, 03:41 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodaciousBlood View Post
Just finished up with coachmuskie. Is there a form to report the victory?
There is not. Just post it in your playtest report. Or I'm very meticulous at checking the games, so it will be caught.
Old June 24th, 2020, 04:21 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Just finished my game with BodaciousBlood. Fun person to play against! Just not fun armies!

Point Total: 500 points
Map:Valledonn Fortress
Glyphs: Wannok and Valda

Player 1 - Army: Cathar Spearmen x3, Count Raymond, Motley Max, Marro Warriors
Player 2 - Army: Goblin Slashers x5, Bugbear Basher x2, Koggo, Urk

Which units survived? Motley (one wound), Raymond (one wound), all Marro, 3 Spearmen (I think).

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)

It was over before it started with engagement strike. To use the Goblin power, I had to retreat every turn, which meant that I have to have a new engagement strike for each goblin each turn.

Round 1: Koggo missed with a 2 dice shot, lost a goblin on an engagement strike and killed one with a goblin attack. moved a Bugbear Basher up. Used retreat every turn during the game, but since he never had to engage (spearmen), it was a terrible dynamic to have to use to use my heroes.

Round 2:
lost 5 goblins on spears trying to attack. Forgot to roll the extra 2 dice for an engaged and not moving bugbear, but did the second time for the kill. Did not kill any more spearmen.

Round 3 won init and was able to use the goblin aura and kill a spearman, Koggo shot down and killed a spearman. A third goblin killed a spearman on a 2-4 attack. last goblin died on engagement strike. Koggo dies to an attack and I sacrificed a goblin to keep a Basher alive.

Round 4 Goblins keep falling to engagements (I cannot keep 4 up on the battlefield). The first Basher goes down and I bring the second up. Finally have a chance for some real damage with the Basher and two Goblins (one adjacent to get the buff) and go 6-20 on back to back attacks on Motley. I only caused 1 wound. Not the bashers fault. Everyone dies except Urk, who dies quickly at the beginning of round 5.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

It would have been fun to play them against something without engagement strikes. It was too hard to see what they could do. His army was 100% engagement strike and 100% attack without adjacent (in fact worse if adjacent). I do not think this is a decent test of the goblin army. We will see next time.

Basher - Bash attack 7 times - decent, expend rabble - used 3 times - helpful and kept me in the game for a little while, Attack Aura - Since so many goblins died to engagement hard to tell - I killed two with the extra die so helpful.

Goblin Slashers - do not know. Retreat killed me this game. did not help. might work against a different army. Could not use Urk since he requires them to be engaged, but he cannot move if they are.

Koggo - took first hit with 2 damage, so then was useless from there on out. Could not cower after that with only one life. I think he needs 4 life to have any success at all. hard to get to height, so only attacking with 2 dice (maybe give him move of 6 like urk). Very weak character. It is the only range in the entire army and has a single attack of 1. I would not pick him ever over a bugbear basher.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

just a terrible match up. Game was lost before it started. It was fun to run a themed army, but the new goblins do not mesh with the old goblins, so still a bit broken.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:05 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Barring a schedule change, Knight of Scape and I are going to play tomorrow evening at 5 pm MDT (7pm EDT, I believe).
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:12 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
Koggo - took first hit with 2 damage, so then was useless from there on out. Could not cower after that with only one life.
Cower works like Scatter on the rats. You use it after rolling defense dice and you don't take disengagement attacks. Super useful, as it really extends his survivability.

Quote:

the new goblins do not mesh with the old goblins, so still a bit broken.
could you elaborate on this point a little more? I'm not sure I understand this statement.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:37 PM

wumpis is surprisingly tart

Just finished my game with heroscaper2010 my army was 5x goblin slashers koggo 2x bugbear bashers and raelin (RotV). My enemy army was Cyprien Essenwein 5x Amberhive protectors and the Amberhive queen. The map was valledon fortress and the glyphs were valda and wannok.

Round 1: Lost initiative but still rushed in raelin which was a mistake with this army because I can go forward and fall back which ended up leading to her death round 1 but with the rest on the goblins I was able to contest the middle and take wannok while he had valda.

Round 2: I lost initiative which gave him a chance to take out my guys in the middle and push up the field a bit, however on my turn I was able to surround his attackers and push back a bit, for the rest of the round it was mostly just a slug fest right outside of my spawn.

Round 3: It kept going like a slug fest but I was able by the end of the round to position one of my bashers by his queen and almost take it out, by this time I had mostly pushed back his initial attack and contested valda, no one was on wannok anymore. At the end of the round I was finally able to kill his queen and as we looked at the board he only had 5 amberhive protectors left.

Round 4: He started off with the Amberhive Protectors who were able to take wannok and give a bit of push back but not enough, I was able to take out a few more of his protectors in my turn but then cyprien came in. He was not able to do a ton of damage and neither was I so it went back and forth for a while me chasing him down and him doing a wound or so to me each turn.

Round 5: I lost initiative and cyprien killed one of my bugbears and koggo. But I finished off the protectors and moved up the bugbear. Finally I lured cyprien into a trap and he didn't do enough damage to kill my bugbear allowing me to take wannok and get a huge attack where I rolled 4/5 skulls on cyprien. He already had 1 wound and this did 3 more. Then I took wannok and did another wound putting cyprien at one life left. I one the next initiative and was able to finish off cyprien for the win.

The abilities of the slashers I found to be very useful. I found it really useful to be able to weave in and out of his lines without taking leaving engagement while having some bigger heroes dish out the damage against his bigger heroes. I found the slashers to be really fun to play because of how mobile they were and how you could support them with range or big attacks from koggo or the bugbears. Overall I thought they the point value was pretty good for these guys and thought they were a really fun and interesting army. I did not end up using the bugbear's rabble ability and only used bash twice. But I used koggo's clear shot ability just about every time I used him, I only used his cower ability once because most of my goblins were taking the hits however against a ranged army I think I would have used it more.
Old June 24th, 2020, 05:45 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: 2020 C3V Playtest Tournament - Signups until 6/21

Point Total: 500
Map: Valledonn Fortress
Glyphs: Wannok and Valda

HS2010 - Army: Amberhive Protectors x5, Amberhive Queen, Cyprien Esenwein
wumpis - Army: Goblin Slashers x5, Bugbear Basher x2, Koggo, Raelin (RotV)

Which units survived?
wumpis won with 1 Bugbear (3 life left) and 6 Goblin Slashers remaining.

Early aggressive positioning by Raelin saw her get stung to death. However, the Slashers and their cowardice retreating were able to force the Bees to overextend the Queen and their sacrificial selves. Reinforcements for the protectors were far and few between. The Queen fell to a Bugbear with about a squad and a half left. Those finals Bees flew bravely to their final battles, a couple surviving throughout multiple Cyprien turns where Cyprien was trying to pick off stragglers and whittle down the heroes. It wasn't enough though, and after a failed Chilling Touch/Attack in Turn 3, wumpis took his turn to deliver 3 wounds with the Bugbear and secure wound, then won initiative to finish the Vampire and secure the victory.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Goblin Slashers - They retreated successfully every turn they took (edit: except the first turn I suppose).

Koggo - He took multiple attacks onto Bees/Cyprien with Clear Shot and Height. He cowarded once after the Queen attacked him. Cyprien finished him with CT.

Bugbear Basher - They attacked Cyprien twice with Bash, the second time was for 3 wounds on Cyprien before wumpis flipped initiative and won the game. Expendable Rabble and Goblin Attack Aura were never used (wumpis took a lot of his retreating turns with Koggo until he died and I never dealt attacking wounds to a Bugbear adjacent to a Slasher).

Amberhive Protectors - Most attacks except for few onto Valda and where the defenders were outside of the Queen's range were Specials, most successful. This was a hard map/matchup to justify normal attacks because there are a lot of spaces without adjacent height and the Goblin are always able to retreat to said spaces, forcing a lot of 1Av2D or me using my SA, which I did mostly.

Amberhive Queen - That said, there were a few normal attacks with the Protectors in range for the Queen's Frenzied Storm. I rolled a few 1/1s and got a couple kills with Frenzy. Surge happened once in a crucial round and did indeed help me secure initiative.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? Please comment on all units playted with/against

I've only played a couple matchups against the Goblins and they can be quite pesky against low-defense melee. The Bees killing themselves off don't help too much because I couldn't keep the pressure on the Goblins. wumpis and I discussed after the game that if he had played Raelin more passive, the Goblins can run in to attack and then retreat back to Raelin's aura giving them 4 defense. I figure stronger melee like Knights are more their weakness (when it comes to melee figures anyway) that I wonder how that strat would work. For me, I figured my Bees could eliminate enough to where Cyprien could clean up but that really wasn't the case. Cyprien entered play probably against 200-250pts for wumpis including both Bugbears (one wounded).

The Bees are better at x4 for sure. The Queen has to be so close for Sacrificial Sting and the frontline protecting her is killing itself to do so. Just too close for any comfort, and I haven't even played against range armies.

Queen, Bees x4, & 200pts cleanup is the best you can get, IMO:
Q9/VI + Marcu
Cyp/Q10 + MW

Sujoah you are basically paying 85pts for 2 extra life then 115pts cleanup. Maybe more helpful vs. range? But perhaps that's what the Queen's 200pts cleanup could be for?

Last edited by Sheep; June 24th, 2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:35 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Koggo - took first hit with 2 damage, so then was useless from there on out. Could not cower after that with only one life.
Cower works like Scatter on the rats. You use it after rolling defense dice and you don't take disengagement attacks. Super useful, as it really extends his survivability.

Quote:

could you elaborate on this point a little more? I'm not sure I understand this statement.
What I meant about cower is that the next hit kills him. The rats have for defense and do a good job tying people up. I know that he can move even if he doesn't take a wound, but I was on a high spot in this particular battle. Moving him further into battle with one life would put him lower and closer to the spearmen (and with only 3 defense). If I had two lives left, I would have felt more comfortable positioning him to find another high spot. It was more situational than anything since it was against the spearmen.

About the goblins working together, one common has no hit zones if they stay unengaged, and the others only activate heroes when they retreat, but one hero benefits from engagement (urk) and the other needs unengaged, but only attacks with 2. I like the bugbear bashers, but couldn't use them without leaving them out there by themselves. I couldn't tie up any enemies with the goblins and protect them. The scurry would work better with the bashers, but they do not bond with them at all.

Let me know if that doesn't make sense. I look forward to trying them again. This was just the worst possible match up for these guys.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:40 PM

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:

Quote:

He didn't use cower, as he was already disengaged and on the highest point of the map. The next time he took an attack, he died. Just some clarity there.

EDIT: I see coachmuskie already addressed this! *thumbs up*
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:40 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: 2020 C3V Playtest Tournament - Signups until 6/21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
The dok v. Heroscaper Guy pool of armies is:
* Majaratpodge: deathreavers x3, Ranjit Singh, Syvarris, Rygarn, Marro Warriors
* A Burning Sensation: Xualtiaca Fire Ants x5, Axentia, Siiv
* : Children of the Dark Star x4, Agga-Zemir, Airborne Elite
* : Goblin Slashers x4, Bugbear Basher x4, James Murphy
Heroscaper Guy chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, dok chooses who places first.
Playing this evening at 6:45 mountain/8:45 Eastern, unless we jump on early.
Old June 24th, 2020, 06:42 PM

Point Total: 500 Points
Map: Valledonn’s Fortress
Glyphs: Move +2; Wannok

Player 1 - Army: BodaciousBlood: Cathar x3, Raymond, Motley Max, Marro Warriors
Player 2 - Army: Goblin Slashers x5, Bugbear Basher x2, Urk, Koggo

Which units survived?
3 Cathar, Motley Max (5 health), Raymond (4 health), 4 MW’s

The game went well for the Cathar/Max combo. The gobbo’s were fighting an uphill battle from the start. Cathar were able to take all the choke points swiftly and hold them for the majority of the game. After achieving board control, Max came in with some nice moves and finished off the rest of the opposing army. Really fun, thematic unit. 

The goblins retreat ability was working against them in this matchup. Yes, it allowed for an additional attack from the heroes, but it forced the goblins that did survive the braced spears and engagement strike to face that spikey cactus again.

Max did a total of 6 chain grabs, all of them successful. He caused 6/9 engagement strikes. And then when he failed the engagement strike, he caused two wounds by pulling figures into braced spears. Overall, VERY effective unit. He killed 6 Goblins, a Basher, and Urk. Yet, he only rolled for normal attacks 3 times.

Despite his lower defense, he blocked 4/5 attempts and only took one wound. 

It sure is satisfying to yoink two figures into a wall of spikes. 10/10 recommend.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)? Please comment on all units playted with/against

While the game itself was pretty one sided, I do think the goblin slashers have huge potential against other melee armies. Max + Cathar is just a cool anti-melee that really just worked too well and too often this match. The Bashers are really great for their points. 

Max would struggle hard against focused ranged attacks. I guess that’s the intended balancing act.
Old June 25th, 2020, 02:27 AM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Point Total: 500 Points
Map: Valledonn’s Fortress
Glyphs: Valda; Wannok
Hero - Army: Ranjit, Rygarn, Marro Warriors, Syvarris, Deathreavers
Dok - Army: Axentia, Siiv, a crap ton of Xulatica Fire Ants (okay it was x5)

Which units survived?
12 Ants, 1/2 Siiv

Spoiler Alert!

So a lot of the powers were used this game (which makes sense over 8 rounds). Axentia was a shark and proved a bit annoying to remove with her rebirth causing me to have to kill her all over again at a bad time (since i couldnt kill others with the marro so it was wasted), and her burn was used on her once and on Syvarris once (I think, it was a long day, and its what i have in my notes). The Rebirth killed a Marro and two reavers. Ranjit's boost was used each round and his OM power and while it was "succesful" each time I rolled, I did miss one time where I pulled an x. I liked Ranjit, he seemed more interesting than i thought at first glance, while Axentia was a bit annoying. She might need a reduction in life/other stats (to make it so you dont have to deal 14 damage) or an increase in points, but I'm guessing other tests will tell.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting