Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Closed Thread

Old September 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Lord of the Rings 'Scape Project; PM me if interested

Right then, seems the consensus thus far is that I post 'em here, so without further ado, I present rough drafts for the new threads, with the exception of the Finalized Units Thread, which I decided not to create until we actually have units finalized. Feedback on what has to change here is appreciated.

General Discussion
Spoiler Alert!

Brainstorming:
Spoiler Alert!

Design:
Spoiler Alert!

Playtesting:
Spoiler Alert!

Art:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Son of Arathorn; September 28th, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:30 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Right then, seems the consensus thus far is that I post 'em here, so without further ado, I present rough drafts for the new threads, with the exception of the Finalized Units Thread, which I decided not to create until we actually have units finalized. Feedback on what has to change here is appreciated.

General Discussion
Spoiler Alert!

Brainstorming:
Spoiler Alert!

Design:
Spoiler Alert!

Playtesting:
Spoiler Alert!

Art:
Spoiler Alert!
I like it, but here are some thoughts:

-we should consider a cap of 2 designs per member, not 1. We might also want to consider what we'll do if some members are not interested in leading a design.
-we should consider having a thread dedicated to certain votes, esp. finalization votes.
-we should consider limiting our total membership to no more than a certain number of core members--I'm thinking 9-13 at most.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.
--
Come join the Heroes of Middle Earth in creating Lord of the Rings Customs!
--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:45 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:

General Discussion
Spoiler Alert!

Brainstorming:
Spoiler Alert!

Design:
Spoiler Alert!

Playtesting:
Spoiler Alert!

Art:
Spoiler Alert!
Wow, awesome job SoA! Gernerally sounds good, just want to echo what Caps said: I think we should limit the amount of members we admit.
Old September 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM

Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun Son of Arathorn is a penguin with a machine gun

Limiting membership makes sense. We've been lucky so far with getting people that work well, but if we just let anybody in, in any amount, sooner or later we'll get a bad apple or two.

If members aren't interested in design, playtesting, wordsmithing and art are good options. Or just participating avidly in discussion anywhere.

I had intended that we have all votes take place in the threads themselves, and that finalization votes take place in General Discussion, but if enough people think we ought to do it, I don't see why we shouldn't do an independent voting thread. I just don't want us to over-expand before we're actually up and running.

I included the single design cap because this would encourage members to shepherd their design through quickly and put more work into it, since that's the only way you'd get to do another design. But 2 could work also, I just don't think we should go too high.
Old September 25th, 2012, 06:12 PM

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Limiting membership makes sense. We've been lucky so far with getting people that work well, but if we just let anybody in, in any amount, sooner or later we'll get a bad apple or two.
It has less to do with "bad apples" and more to do with noise-level. In a "everyone discusses everything" model, too many people just gets really noisy and difficult to follow. I think even 13 is a little high--9 is probably a good core number. Maybe we could have 4 "guest" positions that regularly rotate for people who are more busy at certain times of year/life than others. A tight-knit group of 5-6 consistent people will be more effective than ~15-25 people all clamoring about. If we wanted to break it up into departments, than a larger group would make sense, but I think your proposed model works best with small numbers.

Quote:
I had intended that we have all votes take place in the threads themselves, and that finalization votes take place in General Discussion, but if enough people think we ought to do it, I don't see why we shouldn't do an independent voting thread. I just don't want us to over-expand before we're actually up and running.
With a small enough group, that should work, but there may be some key votes--like finalization votes--that we'll want to have a separate thread for.

Quote:
I included the single design cap because this would encourage members to shepherd their design through quickly and put more work into it, since that's the only way you'd get to do another design. But 2 could work also, I just don't think we should go too high.
You have a point. Let's stick with 1-design-per and then we can consider upping it to 2 once we have some experience with what 1-per is like.

--
--
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:47 PM

Noise level. Why didn't I think of that? You're absolutely right, it can definitely get loud in a project this size. Problem is, we've already got more than 9... Now I think we ought to hold off on accepting anybody else until we figure this out.

I'm still not certain we'd need a separate thread for Final Votes, since we'd do that in the General Discussion, and other votes would happen in brainstorm, design, playtesting, and art.
Old September 25th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Noise level. Why didn't I think of that? You're absolutely right, it can definitely get loud in a project this size. Problem is, we've already got more than 9... Now I think we ought to hold off on accepting anybody else until we figure this out.

I'm still not certain we'd need a separate thread for Final Votes, since we'd do that in the General Discussion, and other votes would happen in brainstorm, design, playtesting, and art.
Maybe some of those "more than 9" (myself included) will be good candidates for our extra "rotating 4" positions.

I hear you on the final votes thread. We can hold off on that as well.

--
--
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

A few questions and then comments:
1) Will there be an set design order, at least in the beginning for members to propose a design? Or will there be a group brainstorming of ideas until one of the members decides to post a workbook? (I can see a race for members to be the first to post a workbook, which may or may not be a problem.)

2) Will HoME be using the standard generals (Jandar, Vydar, etc...)?

3) Will HoME be using the standard cards? Or will there be custom HoME cards (maybe with more of a Tolkien themed design)?

4) I don't think a membership of 13-15 is going to be a problem.
a) You'll get some people slowing down/dropping out, and not everyone will be active all the time.
b) This is not a hidden thread, so you'll still get the same amount of chatter--although maybe a little less if people are not included as members in the beginning.
c) From what I've seen on HoSS and Project Pokemon, you're going to want more people involved, especially for playtesting. And people are more likely to playtest when they are members.
Old September 25th, 2012, 09:54 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

If we could guarantee everyone's activity, and continuously work on designs, I would choose the best 5 or 6 of us. If we met in person, I'd cut it to 4 without hesitation. Unfortunately, due to our method of communication, I think that the more people we get, the better. I don't see 15 or so being any kind of problem, because of them we'll still get around 6 or so active members.
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:07 AM

We could consider letting the ERB (hopefully Son of Arathorn and Xorlof, as I proposed) decide on a design order. I'm not too worried about people proposing designs before they're ready--I would think they would just get voted down.

I was proposing fewer core members because that's how I understood C3G works at its core, and how it began. They seem to do very well that way. Since we're working in a public thread, we could be okay with letting more people post, but I think we should cautious about who we give voting and designing rights to.

I think the discussion of using HS generals vs. Tolkien generals and the discussion of card art should wait a little longer.

--
--
Old September 26th, 2012, 04:53 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2019 & The Doom of Man

infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla infectedsloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Most of it looks good, the major thing is, once we implement this we have to be reactive to it's strengths and weaknesses and make changes accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post

4) I don't think a membership of 13-15 is going to be a problem.
a) You'll get some people slowing down/dropping out, and not everyone will be active all the time.
b) This is not a hidden thread, so you'll still get the same amount of chatter--although maybe a little less if people are not included as members in the beginning.
c) From what I've seen on HoSS and Project Pokemon, you're going to want more people involved, especially for playtesting. And people are more likely to playtest when they are members.
I agree, right now one of our focuses should be getting more attention, not trying to limit it by turning away potential members.

Quote:
8. One the project is begun, any person wishing to join the project should voice their desire in the General Discussion Thread, whereupon members may voice any affirmative or negative concerns on the member, and a vote shall be put forth within forty-eight hours of the person asking to join. Seventy percent consensus must be reached for the person to become a member.
I would rather do it like HoSS does (or at least I think HoSS does it somthing like this). Anybody can contribute but they would not get any voting privileges. If they continue to contribute then the current members would vote on if to make him a full member. I could live with your way though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Maybe we could have 4 "guest" positions that regularly rotate for people who are more busy at certain times of year/life than others.
I don't think we're at that point yet, or maybe ever. If you know you can't contribution much for a period of time I would just say so. You would ether go on leave or you would contribute what you can when you can. If you miss a vote, then you miss a vote is not that big a deal, because as of right know not every member has to vote each time. If someone continues to miss votes they would be put on leave until they have more time to contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
2) Will HoME be using the standard generals (Jandar, Vydar, etc...)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I think the discussion of using HS generals vs. Tolkien generals and the discussion of card art should wait a little longer.
I agree that the discussion should wait a little longer, but I think it should be are first discussion we have once we get organized. We can't design cards if we don't know what general there fighting for.

I agree with one design per person for now, we can reexamine it later, after we've implement it. We also need to have an officially members list.

ScapeCon Championship Fantasy Draft: : Deadline July 29th
ScapeCon: July 29th-Aguest 1th
Trade Thread: Updated 5/11/2021

Calling all Las Vegas Scapers!

Last edited by infectedsloth; September 26th, 2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Quote:
8. One the project is begun, any person wishing to join the project should voice their desire in the General Discussion Thread, whereupon members may voice any affirmative or negative concerns on the member, and a vote shall be put forth within forty-eight hours of the person asking to join. Seventy percent consensus must be reached for the person to become a member.
I would rather do it like HoSS does (or at least I think HoSS does it somthing like this). Anybody can contribute but they would not get any voting privileges. If they continue to contribute then the current members would vote on if to make him a full member.
That is also how Project Pokemon worked: anyone could contribute ideas, but only members could vote and propose designs. Once a non-member demonstrated continued positive contributions, a member would suggest they be upgraded and then all members would then vote on it.

Another comment:
Another thing that will need to be discussed at the beginning is what figures should be designed first. It seems like most people want the Fellowship of the Rings figures to come first, but it will be good to formally set a list of figures to design.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum