Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

View Poll Results: Which is the best map? (Choose 3)
Cavern Crash by Necroblade 15 41.67%
Thaeberian Wellsprings by Nomad 17 47.22%
Marshall Law by Rednax 6 16.67%
Defiled Wellspring by Herofly 8 22.22%
Wasted Swampland by Dr.Goomonkey 5 13.89%
Burning Temple by VVildeyedjoker 3 8.33%
Bountiful Grove by Robber 12 33.33%
Platinum River by All Your Pie 13 36.11%
Everglades and Evergreens by Rednax 1 2.78%
Vergence by Heroscaper2010 10 27.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 8th, 2017, 05:07 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Re: Top 10 - VOTE NOW (uncharted wellsprings)

@rednax: I'm not really sure why there are 0 votes, either. Personally, I wasn't fond of the use of road on any "uncharted" map, but other than that it looks like a pretty straightforward and decent map.

@infectedsloth : I tried to make sure double-space figures had access to the whole map, but I see what you're pointing out. I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. The glyph itself is one-shot, though, so at least there's that.

Hopefully I'll be able to give a little review of each map later (and maybe play on some sometime, too).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 8th, 2017, 06:38 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Top 10 - VOTE NOW (uncharted wellsprings)

Here are my quick opinions on some of my favorite maps in the contest. I haven't gotten to build any of these maps yet, so this is all what I have to say at a glance.

Cavern crash is a really good looking map. I love the aesthetics and I really like how the terrain height varies and separates the map out into different zones.

My biggest gripe is with the center of the map. It looks really cool, but I don't think it's balanced. The red starting zone can reach the Erland glyph easily from two directions, but the blue starting zone can reach it from only one. I also know it's a theme of the contest, but once the glyph is used, figures can't easily move through the center of the map due to the water and rock outcroppings.

I would also think the map could be improved by moving the lv 4 terrain farther from the left side of each starting zone.

I think this map looks great. It's pretty balanced. My only complaint is that I'd like to see more going on in the grass section to make the map more interesting. I think the map should definitely have some level 4 terrain and more height variation.

This is one of my favorites of the contest. My only major issue with it is that there are a lot of choke points. It's possible for units to climb the battlements if enemy figures are blocking the entrances to the central castle area, but I think it would be better to remove a couple of battlements and open the map up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infectedsloth View Post
Bountiful Grove- This is an example of why contest with nonstringent terrain parameters disproportionately effects certain terrain combinations. Making a elite map using only RotV+TJ is much more difficulty then say RotV+2 RttF, 2 BtfU+expansion, etc. There's a reason Ticalla Sunrise and Sidewinder are one of the few top tier maps with their requirements.

With that being said it looks like Bountiful Grove got just about everything you can out of RotV+TJ. The jungle is placed in ways to cover advancing melee, but doesn't help podding range too much. The middle needs a strong glpyh so using the defense glyph is a good choice. I like the pathing options.

My only concern is the placement of jungle trees with regards to Raelin. The rock hex adjacent to the jungle tree is the the only hex where Raelin can cover the glyph while being on level three and where she is adjacent to a jungle piece. Since there's three level three hexes in front of the space it also seems easily defendable. You can even cover friendly units that will be engaged to all figures on the nearby level four hex. The more I look at it the more it seems like an issue. I'm interested in hearing from @Robber if he thinks my concerns are unfounded or not and if the scenario I described ever came up in testing.
Raelin was definitely one of my biggest concerns in playtesting. She can very easily cover large areas of the map from a number of different perches. The main perches she can abuse are the are the ones that you pointed out next to the palm trees and the lv 4 single-hex rock tiles. They both allow Raelin to provide a +2 defense bonus to the figure on the glyph.

When I submitted the map, I felt like the configuration of height and jungle was optimal for allowing melee figures to approach the middle of the map with jungle cover and to travel between different parts of the map. I was very aware of the tradeoffs I was making when I decided to put the palm trees next to lv 3 height. If I wasn't restricted by my terrain choices, I would have put all of the tiles adjacent to jungle on level 2.

If anyone has any ideas for balancing Bountiful Grove more, I'd love to hear your suggestions!
Old June 10th, 2017, 03:55 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: WINNER! (Uncharted Wellsprings)

CONGRATULATIONS NOMAD!!!

In the vast wind and snow swept tundra of Thaelenk, a hidden valley lies nestled among glaciers of ice and drifts of powder. In the valley resides a powerful wellspring that has been highly sought by all of the generals of Valhalla. The Thaeberian Wellsprings bring life – causing tree, bush, and grass to grow if roots can absorb the healing waters . . . and renewed life to those adventurers who can quench their thirst with the sweet liquid.
Sets: 1 RotV, 1 TJ, 1 TT
Download

We have a winner!!! Thaeberian Wellsprings by @Nomad has taken the win on this map building contest...but boy was it a close one. I speak for all of us judges when I say we are so excited about the involvement! we had 22 map submission to the contest and 36 voters overall. We love seeing so many new and exciting maps and tomorrow we'll be using these 10 maps in our Idaho/Utah tournament. As promised in between each contest we will be playtesting these maps to determine their balance and competitive worth. Those that we consider worthy of tournament play will be added to our Tournament Map Thread here. We will post our public reviews on your maps. Those that wish to receive assistance and workshop their maps, head on over to our workshop thread here. Thank you again for your participation, we're already excited for the next one

Nomad please PM @Tiranx you're address and we'll get the dice bowl shipped out to you ASAP

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 10th, 2017, 09:05 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Congratulations Nomad! And thanks everyone for the submissions, we've got a lot of quality maps to play today! I'm super excited to play on them!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old June 10th, 2017, 10:48 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Great job everyone. I already got to play on a couple of these last night. Cool stuff, and congrats to nomad for the win.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:13 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Congrats to Nomad, and hope the tournament goes well!

Thanks also to those who provided feedback on my map. I'll use those comments in addition to the map review when revising it for tournament readiness, if necessary.
Old June 11th, 2017, 12:09 PM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks everyone. And thanks to the ARV team for keeping the fun alive. There are numerous excellent maps to try out from this contest. We got a couple of play tests in last weekend on the Thaeberian Wellsprings map using scenario #2. The map played as hoped, but it is too early to tell if I'll be making some tweaks.
Old June 11th, 2017, 01:48 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Congrats, Nomad! Jungle and Ice go well together, and you built a great looking map here.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old June 11th, 2017, 03:39 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Nice job Nomad! Really like the look and theme of your submission.
Old June 11th, 2017, 07:38 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

Congrats Nomad, easily one of my favorite map to play on at the tournament!!

H E R O S C A P E
Old June 24th, 2017, 10:26 AM

Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness Nomad wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks again everyone. The dice bowl arrived and it is amazing. Thank you to the ARV organizers for the contests!

Here is the work-of-art receiving its first handful of dice as we prepare to do battle on Thaeberian Wellsprings . . .

Last edited by Nomad; June 30th, 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old June 24th, 2017, 01:45 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Glad you like it @Nomad . It was fun to make.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla