Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old October 18th, 2017, 03:30 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Workshop Thread

Nice, that is one way to accelerate things. @TREX , thanks for all you did to help us get started. Your the best. Stay on the light side over in HoSS.
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:46 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
Nice, that is one way to accelerate things. @TREX , thanks for all you did to help us get started. Your the best. Stay on the light side over in HoSS.
I will be on the lighter workload side of HOSS as I have stepped down from that as well. I still plan on bugging you guys from time to time for a random game night when I get a chance to pop up your way for the weekend.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 18th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Congrats Leaf_It and rednax! Those are some good maps that we've got added to the tournament map archive, thanks for your hard work on them!
@Dr.Goomonkey , yeah, I don't think that fix ever got to us officially. I do think that map has some potential and would love to help workshop it though!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old November 22nd, 2017, 11:13 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

May I just say I really liked the maps Shattered by @Angear and Henge Arena by @JaesShurrig . If you guys are willing to put them through this workshop thread and edit them a little bit after getting feedback from us judges, I think it'd be worth your time. Imo they both have really good potential and just a couple minor things that need to be fixed.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old November 22nd, 2017, 08:18 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Workshopping for Henge Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
May I just say I really liked the maps Shattered by @Angear and Henge Arena by @JaesShurrig . If you guys are willing to put them through this workshop thread and edit them a little bit after getting feedback from us judges, I think it'd be worth your time. Imo they both have really good potential and just a couple minor things that need to be fixed.
Yes, I would love to workshop this map and make it tournament worthy. Personally I felt like Henge Arena was my stronger submission, so I was sad to see it didn't make the top ten. here's the file:

file:///C:/Users/Jack%20Story/Deskto...0Arena%201.pdf

Not too sure how to post a picture, it won't let me select an image from my photos

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; November 23rd, 2017 at 02:29 AM. Reason: added photo
Old November 23rd, 2017, 02:42 AM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Okay cool. Yeah, if you're looking for some feedback for workshopping... I'll start us off, and @Tiranx @Robber @BiggaBullfrog , feel free to join in!

@JaesShurrig First off, this map looks super cool. While I didn't have a direct vote in the Top 10 because I was a participant in the contest, I did still offer my opinions and insights regarding this map (and the other maps). My first concern comes with the pathing. 1st off, this is an ARENA and yet there's no reason for me to go to the middle, where the arena is! Major design/thematic flaw here imo. There NEEDS to be a reason to draw me to the center of the map, I'd say put a stronger, powerside up powerglyph in the center to draw in the conflict. This could be the defense glyph, Wannock, or maybe even the movement glyph. Make people want to go to the center, lets see the bloodshed there. The other design flaw I see is the pathing to the glyphs. It's very narrow from the right side of a players startzone, and very accessible from the other players side. The other thing is that it is only accessible from the edges. I think you almost HAVE to have a 1-hex piece in the middle of the "river" of water to connect the edge to the center. This opens up the pathing so that figures in the center can move to the edge of the board to grab a glyph or vice versa. What this also does is it keeps campers a little more honest. If I were a ranged camping army, I'd fight tooth and nail to hold and stay on the 7-hex dungeon piece on my edge. Why? because right now I have water as a natural barrier from figures in the center and the only other attackers that can reach me have to do so from a narrow passage that I can potentially block off with my screen with ease. And since the 7-hex piece is one of the highest points, it'll be a lot easier to shoot down on opponents. So there's my bit, and I'd like to see those areas addressed in a reworked version, but what do the other judges think?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old November 23rd, 2017, 04:55 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Henge Arena:

Sir Heroscape pretty much nailed it in his post. There's not enough motivation for ranged figures to leave their start zone or the area immediately around it. They can easily shoot figures on glyphs from height, and can pound on advancing melee easily as well with wide shooting lanes. A lot of the routes involve choke points, making assaulting the enemy start zone for melee figures a chore that they'll rarely last through. It also makes it easier to screen with Deathreavers or Gladiatrons.

I'd suggest redesigning first the high points on the map. The start zones are too high and too powerful, and there aren't really any other high areas that combat them. That means the safest place is where you start, and encourages camping too much. Also, with the middle being pure low ground, that takes away a lot of motivation to go through it. A better distribution of height will help with that.

I'd also look at how you're using the terrain, specifically line of sight blockers, road, water, and shadow.
Your line of sight blockers are scattered, and look cool, but they're not really doing anything to hinder range, especially the columns on the edge of the field. Better placement will hinder range's power to shoot anything.
The road also isn't doing anything effectively - it doesn't help armies develop or speed melee along to ranged perches, and that's what road tiles are usually meant to do. Your use of water is also slowing down units too much in some areas, creating choke points and making it harder for melee to attack ranged figures.
Water is usually supposed to hinder, but I feel that it's too bothersome on this map.
Finally, your shadow tiles could be used to better help advancing melee armies and assist them in attacking ranged perches.

The map looks cool aesthetically, and it's a neat concept for sure. Currently, though, it's lacking a bit too much on the gameplay side of things, especially in melee vs range scenarios, at least for competitive play. I could see some good scenario use though.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old November 24th, 2017, 02:21 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Okay, here's my first draft of my redesign, let me know what you think! Essentially I kinda started from scratch with this redesign, all while trying to keep relatively the same size, shape, and theme of the map. However, I put the start zones on the first level, raised the arena, and tried to thin out the edges of the map. I've also added a Wannok glyph in the middle, as well as the two powerside up glyphs on the wings. Hope you guys like it, and thanks for helping me out!
here's the link (listed as Henge Arena 2.0):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...zlLM1gzNmltUmM

Last edited by Shurrig; November 24th, 2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old November 24th, 2017, 03:01 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Okay, here's my first draft of my redesign, let me know what you think! Essentially I kinda started from scratch with this redesign, all while trying to keep relatively the same size, shape, and theme of the map. However, I put the start zones on the first level, raised the arena, and tried to thin out the edges of the map. I've also added a Wannok glyph in the middle, as well as the two powerside up glyphs on the wings. Hope you guys like it, and thanks for helping me out!
here's the link:

file:///C:/Users/Jack%20Story/Deskto...02.0%20(C).pdf
Hey Jack! It looks like your trying to send a link directly from your computer. That won’t work, so you might want to upload your pdf to the internet, and then linking it here. Sites like mediafire are free, so you can go from there.

Good luck with the Arena.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old November 24th, 2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
As per the instructions in the OP, you need to make it clear whether or not this is an official resubmission that you'd like us to vote on for playtesting or if you're simply still workshopping it at this point (personally, even with these changes, I still see issues that need workshopping).

That, and we really do need the direct link and an image so that it's convenient for us to access and give feedback. It's just a little bit of a hassle without the image quickly referenceable and with the link not being a direct link. If you need some help with that, it's really quite simple and we can give you instructions on how to do that.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old November 24th, 2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
As per the instructions in the OP, you need to make it clear whether or not this is an official resubmission that you'd like us to vote on for playtesting or if you're simply still workshopping it at this point (personally, even with these changes, I still see issues that need workshopping).

That, and we really do need the direct link and an image so that it's convenient for us to access and give feedback. It's just a little bit of a hassle without the image quickly referenceable and with the link not being a direct link. If you need some help with that, it's really quite simple and we can give you instructions on how to do that.
Ah, sorry :/ I intended to send this in for workshopping. And yes, I would like to know how to post a direct link and image onto this thread.
Old November 24th, 2017, 04:57 PM

@JaesShurrig

Here a step-by-step instructions. Let me know if you have any questions.

Spoiler Alert!

For posting an image, take a screenshot or picture using the "snipping tool" and then just upload it to a free image sharing site, then use the online image link and use the following coding when making a post in the forums... [img]www.whateveryourimagelinkis.com[/img]

EDIT:
As for the current submission...I kind of like it. The original has more aesthetic apeal in my opinion and the road, while helping movement across the map, takes away from the theme of an arena in my opinion. In fact it seems a little odd just going straight across. But, aesthetic appeal doesn't alone downvote a map. My other issues with this version is the side glyph placement: 1) it takes 3 activations for any 4 or 5 move figure to reach and only 2 activations for any 6 move figure. This is actually a big deal as a LOT of units have 6 move and this simply gives the other opponent with slower move no chance of reaching a glyph before his opponent, EVEN IF he wins the initiative roll. The other thing about the glyphs is that ASTRID in my opinion should never be on a tournament map. I STRONGLY feel that few, if any, maps can be balanced enough to justify an across the board attack bonus to an entire army. It's just so strong that any opponent controlling that glyph will almost assuredly take the win. Those are my initial concerns that I believe need reworking. I'll mention more if I notice them.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla