Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 18th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Workshop Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranx View Post
Currently, the only type of terrain in this style that I would accept not bordered in would be shadow tiles. How does the rest of the group feel about this?
Answering this question should probably continue in the private forum where we can discuss/debate it, rather than here in the workshop thread. And then we can make an adjustment to the map building guidelines if needed. Agreed?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:37 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Though I don't think that melee figures should "always" be able to attack down from height, it does in some cases balance out a map. It definitely is not a cool option to have to attack a figure on a glyph from lower ground.
I'd agree with that. It's all Depending on the map build you are right. Mountain Pass is a good example of no height attacks for melee figures on Glyphs. I Recind the "always" from my previous statement.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:28 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I'll start this off:

Chaos build instructions. It uses 1 SotM, 1 BftU, and 1 VW with 2 random glyphs.

I'm just curious what your concerns with this map were, as it didn't make the top 10. I think it has some definite potential for a tournament map.
Thanks for getting this started @superfrog . I am asking some internal questions with the rest of the ARV, and then I will have some responses for your question. I am slowly having my opinion changed about an aspect of map building, but I don't want to speak too quickly and misrepresent everyone else.

So, be patient with me. The answer is coming.
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:46 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

I wasn't a judge at the time that Chaos went through, so I can't vouch for why it didn't make it in the Top 10. But I will go ahead and weigh in on what I think of the map and the discussion on it so far, just to throw in my 2 cents and hope it adds to the conversation.

The map itself looks pretty solid overall. I like the design of having the higher lava field towards the middle, separated by some LoS blockers, with glyphs on the edges. The glyphs are placed well; it takes the same amount of turns for a 6-move to reach it as a 5-move, and the position of them is weak enough to make them easily contested without giving one side a huge advantage. The pathing is solid, and I feel like it would look pretty good on a table.

I generally don't mind having water, swamp water, or lava not being bordered in as long as it's not distracting to the map overall. This map has a lot of un-bordered "liquid" tiles, but at the same time it doesn't look bad to me. Pushing it, but I think that because there is so much on this map it actually kind of becomes a good thing, as it gives the map a kind of oozing feel that I like.

I'm okay with not having high ground immediately next to the glyphs for melee to attack from on this map - the shadow tiles still give melee a bit of an advantage over the glyphs while helping them stay protected from range, and the glyph positions are weak enough that you have to go out of your way to claim them in the first place.

While I'm not personally worried about grenade splashing start zones on this map (that's enough of a side case that it would have to be pretty extreme for me to worry about it), I do agree that the LoS blockers could be used more effectively. Right now most of it is in the middle area to divide the map in half. If it were broken up a bit I feel like it would have a better functional and aesthetic effect on the map.

Another thing I'm noting is that, while the Shadow Spaces by the glyphs are placed well functionally, the other Shadow Spaces outside the start zone aren't in the most optimal positions. I don't think I would ever use them naturally, and they're not in good enough positions to go out of my way to keep figures on them. I think that they could be rearranged a bit to have a better effect on the map.

Those are my thoughts. Overall I've got a pretty good reaction to this map. Would it have made my Top 10 out of those in the contest? I don't know. I'd have to go back and evaluate all of them. But I wouldn't be surprised if it did. But, like I noted, there are some areas for improvement, which would take this map from good to great.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:12 PM

Now that we've weighed in on it @superfrog you can 1) leave it as is and request we take a vote whether or not to rereview it for tournament worthiness (playtest it) OR 2) make some adjustments/changes to the build and then resubmit it for us to vote on it for rereview. Either way, if you get a majority vote, we will playtest it and then vote again on its tournament worthiness.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 20th, 2017, 12:28 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I got a few tweaks made (bringing the glyphs in, as well as the LOS blockers, adding a bit more non-lava height, and some structural changes to accommodate all that).

I'll give it a day or so to settle in my brain and then post it here.
Old May 29th, 2017, 10:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Chaos (v2) build instructions.

Big changes as mentioned in the previous post:

Bringing the glyphs in, as well as the LOS blockers, adding a bit more non-lava height, and some structural changes to accommodate all that.
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:38 AM

Looks good @superfrog

@Tiranx @TREX @BiggaBullfrog superfrog has made adjustments to his map and would like us to consider it for playtesting. let's vote whether or not to playtest Superfrog's UPDATED version of Chaos for tournament worthiness.

I am not opposed to playtesting this map

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:36 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Chaos (v2) build instructions.

Big changes as mentioned in the previous post:

Bringing the glyphs in, as well as the LOS blockers, adding a bit more non-lava height, and some structural changes to accommodate all that.
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:07 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:06 AM

@superfrog 's resubmitted map, CHAOS, will be under review for playtesting to determine tournament worthiness as sanctioned by the ARV.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:04 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Hello. I'd like to hear what feedback you had for my map.

My guess is the height was, well, too high. I have already made some changes myself, but I want to hear what you have to say.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla