Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 14th, 2017, 01:34 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: Contest Thread: The Uncharted Wellsprings

Well, if I'm the only one to submit a map then I can win the prize!! I have a map designed in VS, I just want to build it and maybe run a game or two first to see if I should tweak it anywhere. I've already moved tiles around several times in VS trying to work out the best lay out (in theory).
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:08 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Well, if I'm the only one to submit a map then I can win the prize!! I have a map designed in VS, I just want to build it and maybe run a game or two first to see if I should tweak it anywhere. I've already moved tiles around several times in VS trying to work out the best lay out (in theory).
Haha...you're right...though I know of at least 3 or 4 others that will submit maps, so it won't be an outright win That, and these contests tend to have a bit of a slow start as it is, so we'll see...but I'm hoping we'll get at least 10 as that is the number for those that we will select from. But also keep in mind we allow 2 submissions per member...so that really helps with getting enough maps submitted.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 14th, 2017, 05:58 PM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker

I'm in the same spot. I have my VS files made but I have to put actual game time in on them.
Old May 18th, 2017, 04:56 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I've got to say the idea to design a map around a specific glyph (or set of glyphs) has really been a boon to my creative juices. Thanks a lot for creating these contests with new map making parameters. Knowing exactly what glyph will go where opens up all kinds of new possibilities for maps that are not viable when dealing with blindly assigning a random glyph to a locations. I think this change also turns some of the previously established notions for balanced maps on their head though. As such I have worked up two map ideas now that fit the theme and seem like they could be really fun and new but I have a couple of questions about.

On one, I can't decide what the best glyph would be for the map between two options, and with the way the map is designed one of the two glyphs will be required. Both seem like they could make the non-traditional map work but would play somewhat differently. Can I submit the map with both glyphs listed as viable options and leave it up to the tournament director to decide which one they want to use?

For the second one, the theme is really strong and I like the potential the map has for a different type of battle. However, it violates a couple of your 'tips' and I don't know if that will automatically disqualify it. In particular I have the 'wellsprings' (there are two of them on this map) designed to be actual wells and thus they are single hex locations that a double hexed figure couldn't claim. The thing is that both are also pretty minor in effect and won't make or break your armies' chances to win. They are their more for the theme than to significantly boost your army. In fact, one glyph effects both sides equally. Is the double spaced figures standing on a glyph really a hard rule?
Old May 18th, 2017, 05:20 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The prize is finished. If I can stop working long enough to get home and post pictures. Ill just say that it turned out as good as I expected and you guys will love it. (So get thosesubmissions in and ill post pics by this evening.)

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 18th, 2017, 06:05 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I've got to say the idea to design a map around a specific glyph (or set of glyphs) has really been a boon to my creative juices. Thanks a lot for creating these contests with new map making parameters. Knowing exactly what glyph will go where opens up all kinds of new possibilities for maps that are not viable when dealing with blindly assigning a random glyph to a locations. I think this change also turns some of the previously established notions for balanced maps on their head though. As such I have worked up two map ideas now that fit the theme and seem like they could be really fun and new but I have a couple of questions about.
Thank you for the kind words...we're glad to hear that the contests get people excited about mapbuilding, That is our goal!

Quote:
On one, I can't decide what the best glyph would be for the map between two options, and with the way the map is designed one of the two glyphs will be required. Both seem like they could make the non-traditional map work but would play somewhat differently. Can I submit the map with both glyphs listed as viable options and leave it up to the tournament director to decide which one they want to use?
I think that would be fine, but I'll wait to hear from the other judges...

Quote:
For the second one, the theme is really strong and I like the potential the map has for a different type of battle. However, it violates a couple of your 'tips' and I don't know if that will automatically disqualify it. In particular I have the 'wellsprings' (there are two of them on this map) designed to be actual wells and thus they are single hex locations that a double hexed figure couldn't claim. The thing is that both are also pretty minor in effect and won't make or break your armies' chances to win. They are their more for the theme than to significantly boost your army. In fact, one glyph effects both sides equally. Is the double spaced figures standing on a glyph really a hard rule?
For me personally yes it is a hard fast rule for a competitive map. If it's going to be played at a tournament it needs to accommodate armies with double-spaces figures, and there are plenty of competitive armies that simply won't be able to access the Glyphs. BUT I think if you were to submit the map with Glyphs (per our requirements) and in the instructions indicate that the map should be played without Glyphs for competitive play, then you'd be okay. Also when you submit, make a note to us that during Scoring (and if it makes the Top 10 and is playtested for tournament worthiness), it should be scores (and/or playtested) without the Glyphs. This of course is assuming the map is balanced without the Glyphs, and if not then I'd encourage you to make it balanced without them. With Glyphs could be for casual play, without Glyphs for competitive play. That would be my answer anyway because if you indicate the Glyphs are for the theme but the true competitive nature of the map is without them, then I think that would be fine. But again, is also like to hear from the other judges on this: @BiggaBullfrog @Tiranx @TREX

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 18th, 2017, 09:14 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
I have a mild preference for keeping it to one glyph. If, hypothetically, I were to vote against the map, it wouldn't be primarily because of that, but it could be a nail in the coffin. On the other hand, though, if I were to vote for it, having a choice between two glyphs wouldn't be a huge distraction for me. Which I guess means go for it! I have faith in your mapmaking abilities, so it will probably be a non-issue for me.

Quote:
There are a ton of "rules" for mapmaking, but I feel like all of them can be broken if the map is right. That said, the double-spaced access to glyphs is one of the hardest rules, in my opinion, and thus one of the most detrimental to break. So, if there's a way to keep it, it would be better to. Like I said, though, all rules can be broken, and I could see this being an acceptable rule break if the map is right. If the glyphs aren't super powerful, as you suggested, and if they're easily accessible, and if melee double-spaced figures can easily contest the glyph (even if they can't stand on it themselves, as long as they can easily engage the figure on it and have a good chance on keeping it clear), then I can see a possibility of the map being approved as competitive. But that is a lot of if's, and they would all have to be done well.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:40 AM

13 Days Left before the deadline. I know there's a lot of you out there still lurking or working on your maps. Also, keep in mind you're allowed 2 submissions!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:22 AM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

I agree with both @Sir Heroscape and @BiggaBullfrog . However, the glyphs not being accessible to double spaced figures would definitely be a ding against you in the judging process. Doesn't mean it would knock you out of the top ten, but would probably keep you out of the #1 spot.

I have personally had several times where the game enjoyment factor was hampered by my Grimnak not being able to access a glyph due to being double spaces. If glyph placement makes a game unbalanced or not fun then it should be modified to reconcile the problem.

So, here is my rule: If Grimnak ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:58 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The maps being played where all figures have access to glyph locations seem to be the most fun. If you have an army of double spaced figures and your figures cannot take control of glyphs when your enemy can it puts an immediate handicap on you. Placing glyphs where some figures cant access them would definitely affect my scoring in the balance section of the map judging.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:17 PM
C3G Landlord

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like my second map idea won't take home the prize but I may submit it anyway just because I love the theme and backstory for it so much. Can use two of the same exact glyph on the one map?
Old May 19th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tiranx wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like my second map idea won't take home the prize but I may submit it anyway just because I love the theme and backstory for it so much. Can use two of the same exact glyph on the one map?
As long as the map would still be balanced, there would be no issue.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla