Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 9th, 2017, 12:02 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Welcome to the ARV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvildeyedjoker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
If I understand the set limitations correctly, you can never use two BftU sets on one map. Is that intentional? Having two 3 hex rock outcrops and/or 16 shadow tiles could be nice for some themes.
I second this! I've always felt 1 Bftu was not enough to really double down on the shadow and outcrops as the main focus of the map. For being considered a master set it lacks compared to the others.
Third! Same for the Marvel set. I understand the 2 expansions limit but the BftU and Marvel sets need to be able to be doubled down on.
Old May 9th, 2017, 03:34 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
If I understand the set limitations correctly, you can never use two BftU sets on one map. Is that intentional? Having two 3 hex rock outcrops and/or 16 shadow tiles could be nice for some themes.
That is correct. For now, that's the way we're currently running it, but if there were enough push back then that could change. I could see us changing those guidelines temporarily if we were doing like a cave or dungeon theme of sorts, then I'd imagine we might alter it.
Fair enough.
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:00 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

We may bend it. Its not a dealbreaker for me anyway. We'll get a consensus and update. Thanks for all the interest guys. The prize is going to look sweet. Ive got it layed out and am going to build it within a day or two. The design drawings for it fit the contest theme.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:23 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Update

Due to some requests for revision of set requirements for contests we run, we've discussed and decided that if a builder would like to use BftU as a Master set AND an expansion (thus using BftU X2) on the same map, they may do so. The same goes for the Marvel master set. They previously could be used as mastersets but not expansions if they were already being used as a master set. Now, that is no longer the case for the BftU and Marvel set.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old May 10th, 2017, 12:10 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Have fun building guys. I look forward to the fruits of your labors.

Old May 10th, 2017, 12:44 AM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker

So i was thinking up some more ideas and came across two questions regarding castle uses.

1. Can i use "uncapped" walls as line of sight blockers?

2.Can i place walls on table level?
Old May 10th, 2017, 01:13 AM
"like" happy

Quote:
So i was thinking up some more ideas and came across two questions regarding castle uses.

1. Can i use "uncapped" walls as line of sight blockers?

2.Can i place walls on table level?
Yes. And yes. The trick is with the castle walls is just to make sure they are tied in for some stability.

Old May 10th, 2017, 06:52 AM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Good luck here. Love the idea & hope it gets all the support it needs to continue for a long future.

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:54 AM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker

This may be a silly question, but to make my submission do i just post it in the contest thread? Or are we posting them somewhere else? Sorry, still new to this (but determined to learn)
Old May 11th, 2017, 06:41 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
This may be a silly question, but to make my submission do i just post it in the contest thread? Or are we posting them somewhere else? Sorry, still new to this (but determined to learn)
Yup, just make a post in the submission thread with the name, picture, PDF and hsc download links, and backstory. And that's a great question, keep them coming!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:37 PM

Sorry for all the questions but I have another. Would 2 Glyphs of Lodin on the same map be considered non competitive? Being new to competitive maps I have found that Glyph balancing is where I struggle the most.
Old May 16th, 2017, 11:54 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Sorry for all the questions but I have another. Would 2 Glyphs of Lodin on the same map be considered non competitive? Being new to competitive maps I have found that Glyph balancing is where I struggle the most.
No worries, ask as many questions as you'd like! It shows a lot of how you're looking to learn and increase your skills, so we're always happy to provide feedback. And that's a great question!

Short answer to the question (in my opinion) is: No, not noncompetitive. Or rather, yeah, it can be competitive. From a mechanics perspective, at least. IMO, Lodin is one of the weaker glyphs available, so having two isn't a huge deal. It would potentially make the map bland, though.

Longer answer is that it just depends on the map. Glyph balancing can be really difficult - I agree with you there. And there are all sorts of examples of great maps that "break the rules" when it comes to glyph placement (as well as other things). For example, Astrid (Attack +1) is one of the strongest glyphs and generally avoided, but Badru Valley uses it in the center of the map and it works great. In the end, it depends on your vision of the map and how you want to execute that. If you can get that vision in your head to match the "real world" aspects of map building (keeping within limited sets, using the terrain mechanics well) to match, then that's where you'll really start to unlock great potential in your map-making adventures. At least, that's how it's been for me.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla