Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 5th, 2017, 08:00 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Welcome to the ARV!

Purpose: Excite map builders and tournament directors in the Heroscape community by providing a venue for current and competitive map building.
Fulfilling our purpose:
  1. Hold 2-3 map contests per year
  2. Contests will require competitive AND fun map submissions based off of a theme
Organization
Judges: @Nomad @Sir Heroscape @Flash_19
Emeritus: @TREX @Tiranx @BiggaBullfrog @heroscaper2010 @Robber
Threads:
  1. Tournament Map Archive: For officially sanctioned tournament worthy maps
  2. Contest Thread: Where we announce each new contest, and were submissions will be submitted etc.
    This is where we’ll announce each new contest, and have submissions for each new contest. The OP will be where we have the details for each new contest and the 2nd OP post will be reserved for the archives of all the contests.
  3. Workshop thread: Where we work with map makers to improve issues we found in their maps etc.
    We let them know the issues, and they have the option to fix it. If they resubmit it to us, we may reconsider it for tournament worthiness
  4. Map Reviews (Only Top 10): This is where the map reviews for the Top 10 maps from each contest are housed. Read up on the maps to see what kept them from making it into the tournament maps as well as read about those that did.
  5. Online ARV Map Images: For those who play Online Heroscape, we have provided images of our maps in the online format for your convenience in setting up games.
  6. Map Articles: The ARV is part of The Codex and posts articles on our 1)map contests 2)map spotlights and 3)mapmaking tips. Come here to see our insight on each of these topics.
  7. Submissions Archive: An archive of all the maps that have been submitted to all of our contests.
Contests
  • Submissions open for 3 weeks, allow 2 submissions for each person. No more than 1 master set and 2 expansions
  • Maps will be scored based off of our predetermined rubric for the contest
  • Choose Top 10 maps, do a public poll (open for 1 week) for choosing the #1 map…#1 map maker receives a prize.
  • Each contest will have a reward for the #1 map. Giving of prizes may rotate between judges.
  • Between each contest, we playtest the maps to determine which are actually tournament worthy. Tournament worthy maps will be determined through play-testing done by the judges between each contest, and will require a MAJORITY vote (unless only 3 judges are voting, then it will require a unanimous vote). 2 downvotes on a map will constitute a removal from consideration and playtesting.
  • Each one of our contests will be used as a theme for our tournaments that we hold here in Idaho/Utah...that way those participating know their maps (the top 10 contest winners) are going to be used at our next tournament. Part of the value of what we're doing, is the fact that we're providing the top 10 maps an opportunity for being run in a tournament setting, where they otherwise might not be.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; May 26th, 2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old May 5th, 2017, 09:32 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: Welcome to the ARV!

By-laws for the Architects of the Realms of Valhalla:

SECTION 1: Submission guidelines and tips
1. Maps shall contain exactly 24 hexes of start zone for each player. Start zones must be identified in the build instructions and must accommodate the Marro Hive in some capacity
2. Maps should be balanced for 1-on-1 competition between two (2) 400-600 point armies
3. Maps are not to exceed 1 Master Set and 2 expansions (see classification of heroscape sets)
4. Maps must be modeled after the theme of the contest being run
5. Maps must be your own work. All maps must be NEW, in other words…you made it for that specific contest
6. Maps must be submitted with build instructions in either VirtualScape or PDF format and have at least one VirtualScape image or photo as well.
7. Glyphs are not required, but any number may be used to enhance a map.
(a) Maps containing symbol-side up Treasure Glyphs must state which glyphs are Treasure Glyphs, otherwise mystery glyphs will be treated as standard glyphs. (Until another means of marking Treasure Glyphs becomes available, any face-up Brandar can be designated in the build instructions as a symbol-side up Treasure Glyph.)
(b) Symbol-side up Treasure Glyphs must include a description of the trap the map uses in the build instructions. Trap design will be considered in judging the map.
(c) If using Glyphs, only Classic Heroscape Glyphs may be used.
Tips
1. avoid putting Power Glyphs on height (exceptions may be made depending on the build)
2. Double-spaced figures must be able to access all glyphs
3. Glyphs should not be able to be reached turn 1 by 5 or 6 move figures
4. avoid too much elevation close to the start zone (exceptions may be made depending on the build)

Classification of Heroscape sets:
  • Master Sets. One of the following may be used as a master set:
    • Rise of the Valkyrie
    • Swarm of the Marro
    • D&D: Battle for the Underdark
    • Marvel: The Conflict Begins
  • Expansions: Up to 2 of the following may be used:
    • Road To The Forgotten Forest
    • Volcarren Wasteland
    • Thaelenk Tundra
    • Fortress of the Archkyrie
    • Ticalla Jungle
  • Hybrid Master Sets: One of the following may be used in place of 1 expansion:
    • Swarm of the Marro (Except when also used as a master set.)
    • D&D: Battle for the Underdark
    • Marvel: The Conflict Begins
SECTION 2: How maps are judged
ALL maps submitted to contests will be revised and scored by the judges according to the following Rubric:
  • Aesthetics/Creativity(originality of build/looks good): 10pts
  • Balanced (doesn't favor one build over another): 20pts
    Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. range, flying, etc.)
  • Fits Theme & Good name: 10pts

Total: 40pts

1. After each contest closes, the Top 10 maps will be selected and posted by the Judges. These maps will have the opportunity to be played in a local tournament as well as playtested competitively at least once by the judges, using 400-600 point armies.
2. Following the contest, Judge discussions will occur in a public and private forums on the non-official Heroscape web site: Currently www.heroscapers.com. The public forums will consist of Judge reviews on maps they've playtested. While in the private forums, judges will vote and discuss a maps tournament worthiness.
3. Reviews on maps will be public and if a map is deemed by the judges as tournament worthy, it will be presented in the ARV Display thread.
4. Maps that receive a majority vote (unanimous if only 3 judges voting) from the judges will be formatted and given the Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Seal of Approval. Any map receiving 2 down votes will be removed from the process.

SECTION 3: Self-governance
1. The Council will contain at least 3 judges (and may add more). The current judges are: Sir Heroscape, Nomad, BiggaBullfrog, Flash_19 and Robber
2. Acceptance of additional judges will occur by those who:
a) Show interest in serving,
b) Have participated in at least 1 ARV contest
c) after consideration of the sitting judges receive a vote of approval. Voting and discussion of a judge may occur in private.
4. Only 1 judge may participate in a contest at a time. (See #6)
5. Judges will be added as deemed necessary by the sitting judges.
6. One judge (at a time) may abstain from voting on the Top 10 maps in a contest in order to participate in the contest. The judge that abstains from the evaluation of the Top 10 will still be allowed to vote on a maps tournament worthiness through playtesting, AFTER the contest is over (a judge may only participate in a contest if there are at least 4 active, sitting judges).
7. Concerning judges who step down from their post:
a) Judges who step down will receive the honorary office of Emeritus Judge and will be admitted to the ARV Council with continuing permissions into the ARV private forum. The ARV Council will only consist of only ARV Emeritus Judges.
b) Current council members include: TREX, Tiranx
c) Emeritus Judges may participate in ARV map building contests
d) Emeritus Judges may offer counsel to ARV judges as they like but will only be allowed to vote on maps when invited to assist in playtesting should the need arise and the Judges reach out, at which point the Emeritus will be allowed to vote on a maps tournament worthiness after playtesting the map.
e) Emeritus Judges will not be a part of the scoring process during a contest.
f) Emeritus Judges may participate in any capacity as deemed necessary by the sitting Judges.
8. ARV Support members will be added as necessary to assist in the mission of the ARV.
Current ARV Support Roles include: ARV Formatter - Leaf_It
9. These by-laws may be changed and amended at any time by the sitting judges.

Sir Heroscape's Content

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; February 4th, 2019 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Added point 7a-f and point 8
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:29 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Hey to all you guys out there. I look forward to what you guys bring to the table to these contests. Feel free to also throw out ideas you'd like to see for future theme ideas. That also means that the prizes will be constructed in the themes image. This is to have fun and involve the community, so fire away.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 8th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Good luck, fellas, I will follow with interest.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:18 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

This sounds awesome! Looking forward to this!

In fact, I just built my map that I'll be submitting for the contest. Am I able to post it in my map thread yet?
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:20 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
This sounds awesome! Looking forward to this!

In fact, I just built my map that I'll be submitting for the contest. Am I able to post it in my map thread yet?
You'll want to submit it to the Uncharted Wellsprings contest thread. Starting Wednesday.

EDIT: Here
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=53998

EDIT 2: Your welcome to post it in your thread any time you want to.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old May 8th, 2017, 01:21 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post

EDIT: Alright, I just wanted to make sure that it would still count as a map "for this contest". Thanks!
To dispell all doubt, you can just add in your personal thread a note indicating that you'll be submitting it to the contest. It's also a good way to get feedback from others before you make your submission official. A few others have done this, and it has helped them prepare their maps before submission

EDIT: @heroscaper2010 , Sir Heroscape here. As the mod of this forum I apologize, I accidentally edited your post above instead of quoting it ...haha I feel dumb. But the above was my answer to whatever you'd previously posted. My sincerest apologies.

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; May 9th, 2017 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Sir Heroscape's mistake
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:07 AM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker

Hello All, This is my first contest on this site. I was wondering if I could get some clarification.

1. Do the glyphs I use also have to be from the Master Set or Expansions I use? For example if am using the Underdark master set can I use RotV glyphs?

2. I am not a site supporter or contributor. How would I submit my PDF for the contest?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 9th, 2017, 12:11 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvildeyedjoker View Post
Hello All, This is my first contest on this site. I was wondering if I could get some clarification.

1. Do the glyphs I use also have to be from the Master Set or Expansions I use? For example if am using the Underdark master set can I use RotV glyphs?

2. I am not a site supporter or contributor. How would I submit my PDF for the contest?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the contest! We're happy to have you! To try to give some clarification on your questions:

1. You are correct that you can use any glyph from any set/expansion. Feel free to use RotV glyphs on BftU or SotM, or vice versa!

2. The best way I've seen is using a Google drive to upload the PDF and submitting the link. There are other sites that will let you upload PDFs to them, but in my experience the majority of them are pretty glitchy.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old May 9th, 2017, 01:04 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

If I understand the set limitations correctly, you can never use two BftU sets on one map. Is that intentional? Having two 3 hex rock outcrops and/or 16 shadow tiles could be nice for some themes.
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
If I understand the set limitations correctly, you can never use two BftU sets on one map. Is that intentional? Having two 3 hex rock outcrops and/or 16 shadow tiles could be nice for some themes.
That is correct. For now, that's the way we're currently running it, but if there were enough push back then that could change. I could see us changing those guidelines temporarily if we were doing like a cave or dungeon theme of sorts, then I'd imagine we might alter it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:14 AM

vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker vvildeyedjoker knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I second this! I've always felt 1 Bftu was not enough to really double down on the shadow and outcrops as the main focus of the map. For being considered a master set it lacks compared to the others.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla