Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old February 4th, 2017, 01:43 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Range symbol idea: cartoon mountain range with a dotted trajectory over the top.
I suggested just a fat gray arrow curving upwards.
I agree something like this would not be as confusing for range. I love the art concept. I had been thinking of doing something similar to this as well but had not plunked enough time into it for the sake of having much else to take care of lately. As previously said. The quote idea is cool, as long as you can come up with enough of them for each character. I love the little foot, and shield and all that for move and attack and what not. What I've seen other games do for the range is put a bow and arrow symbol or some weapon of range in the place. Overall I'm really digging the format you have here.

EDIT: Whatever you do, don't lose the footprint for move, Its got to be my favorite part of the card.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:27 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Whatever you do, don't lose the footprint for move, Its got to be my favorite part of the card.
I agree; from the perspective of using this layout for classic 'scape cards it's a tiny bit cheesy, but it's so perfectly evocative of the meaning of the number that I can very easily forgive that.
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:06 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Lots of images today. They're not rendered with as high of fidelity as the ones above, but but should work for today's purposes.

First batch--it was suggested that I try raising the icons up into the white area above. I've included an image using the first suggestion (numbers roughly centered in the bottom bar) and one with the icons poking up even higher:

Next couple of sets are options for the range icon. First we have @dok 's arrow. He was trying hard to make sure it had plenty of room for the number to sit inside of it, but placed in context on the card, it appears we could make it less chunky:

Here are more options for range. They were all meant to evoke the feeling of crosshairs. Believe me when I tell you they looked much better as a simple black shape before coloring, stroking and putting on the card:

I also tried a different option for the bomb icon:

Finally, let's talk about points. Two of the possible locations are shown here (the coin on the left, text on the right):

but we could also put the points down in the lower right area of the blue bar. Here are a few options for that, including a (I guess) ruled-out piggy bank anyway just because I'm fond of it for some reason, at least for smurfs cards:

So, @dok , @TREK, @superfrog , @japes , @Soundwarp SG-1 , @jesus20456 , @mcmeeple , @Tornado , and everyone else, what do you think about the following issues:

1) raising the icons higher as shown
2) options for range icon
3) bomb icon options
4) options of where to put points icons

What looks best? I'll hold off giving my opinions this time until I've heard from others.

(I just realized that I forgot to flip the smurf head icon back the other direction, as the consensus seemed to be that it looked better facing the other way. That'll be fixed next time--I don't feel like redoing all of these draft images.)

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:16 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Raising the icons looks great. I like both Dok's Arrow and the crosshair idea, particularly the second cross hair down looks the most like a cross hair. I like the point value icon on the right of the other icons, it flows well. Also, prefer the coin to the piggy bank. The original bomb icon you have looks better than the new one. I like how you have the stats on the left of the figure. The only thing I think would possibly be a problem is if you have a card that has enough power text that it would conflict with the quote. I find the flavor text fun but unneeded. Very cool indeed. Also is the size of the figure going to be listed under the other stats on the left or are you going to incorporate that into the hitzone?

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 5th, 2017, 01:31 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

1. I think this location with the numbers bumped down a bit would look great.
Quote:
2. I like the idea of a less chunky arrow but also thinkthat with the raised icons any of the crosshair icons would stand out more.

3. No preference on the bomb. Both look fine but I don't know how the new one would mesh with the raised icon approach.

4. I think the extreme bottom right location makes sense but I think that would mess with the flow of the raised icons. My next choice is the option shown in the image I quoted above. With an interest in the dead space between the size and the icons below the figure as an alternative not shown.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 6th, 2017, 10:04 AM

mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness mcmeeple wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am loving your work on this. It feels smurftastic. Here is my 2 cents on all your variations.

Love the placement of the icons here (vertically speaking):

Arrow icon for range makes me think to much of movement. And btw, the foot for movement is spot on for the Smurfs imho.

For me, this range icon gives me the greatest indication that this is the distance I can attack:

I prefer the original bomb. The one with sparks almost looks like a bubbling potion. (being super nit-picky here)

For me, I most prefer the point cost in the coin as shown here. It doesn't say "points" which is kind of a bummer, but the coin implies payment, which is essentially what it is.

Funny, I like the smurf head facing right, oh well, can't win them all
Old February 6th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 6th, 2017, 11:06 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I prefer the icons a bit lower - it's much better to center the numbers on the bottom bar and have the icons cut off on the bottom, IMO. I actually prefer the icons to not peek above the bar at all; I think it looks cleaner.

I like the arrow for range (shocking, I know!) but the second of the three crosshairs (the one mcmeeple liked) is pretty good too.

I prefer the old bomb to the new bomb.

Visually, I like the coin in the bottom right and MRAD centered the best. However, if that doesn't work well for squads with their multiple hitzones on the left side, then putting cost in the bottom left above the hitzone works fine too. (I'll also note that, for some odd human visual system reason, it's easier to read the white-on-silver points cost text when it's on the light background on the left than when it's on the dark background on the bottom bar.)

I still think "common hero" makes the most sense as the thing next to the name, with species/class/personality on the left. Or all four on the left.

EDIT: I guess that means I'm voting for this version, only with "Undead" moved to the left, and "Common Hero" possibly moving to Undead's former place.

Last edited by dok; February 6th, 2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:23 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I still think "common hero" makes the most sense as the thing next to the name, with species/class/personality on the left. Or all four on the left.
I think you and I may be alone on this.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 6th, 2017, 03:55 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

I, too, like the second crosshair, and the coin.

Having the icons overlap into the main area doesn't do much for me.

I can't decide whether I like them pushed all the way right or more centered.

I think the species would look better with the rest of the stats, and if you want something there, I agree that rarity would be the thing to put there.

Original bomb

I still think armor or a helmet would be good to try.

The top of the big toe is slightly cut off in all the pictures.

Also, nice work on @Dad_Scaper 's online/offline symbol thing.
Old February 6th, 2017, 05:59 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
I still think armor or a helmet would be good to try.
I am going to try the helmet. I just haven't gotten to it.

>Also, nice work on @Dad_Scaper 's online/offline symbol thing.

Duty calls...I will respond to the replies from the past day later. Thanks again everyone!

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 6th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hey!!!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations