Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 13th, 2006, 02:00 PM

TyG17 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
A variation would be:

Hatamoto Toro - 130
Kaemon Awa - 120
Tagawa Samurai Archers (x2) - 130
Tagawa Samurai - 120
BUILD TOTAL = 500

I see this army being very dominant. I hope it pans out.
I absolutely love this army. I have always liked samurai and the archers and Kaemon are going to finally make the competative. Even without bonding plenty of armies do well without bonding...

Ty G
- There will never be another me...

Back from the dead...
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman
Mimring
Krug
Arrow Gruts x 3
Swogs x 4

and I leave 10 points
I played this army several times over the weekend and came away highly impressed. Did very well against a Q9/glads/blasts army, and against a KOW/Gil/4th/Marcus army. Never having to wonder where to place your order markers is priceless! Point for point, I can see it being very competitive against nearly anything.
Yes it is "priceless" not having to calculate where you need to put your order markers.... especially for an old guy... makes life easier . The other big advantage I like is that I am able to move any figure on the board. I'm glad it worked for you... I've done fairly well with it. I practice with other armies but when I go to a tournament I always play these guys.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old December 15th, 2006, 11:16 AM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyG17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdoc
A variation would be:

Hatamoto Toro - 130
Kaemon Awa - 120
Tagawa Samurai Archers (x2) - 130
Tagawa Samurai - 120
BUILD TOTAL = 500

I see this army being very dominant. I hope it pans out.
I absolutely love this army. I have always liked samurai and the archers and Kaemon are going to finally make the competative. Even without bonding plenty of armies do well without bonding...
R˙chean and I played this army last night via proxy. We took the version that only fielded 1 unit of Archers and a unit of Izumis. We were very disappointed with its performance. I played it against his army (I got drunk and don't remember it, sorry, I believe it had Raelin, Empress Kiova, Nakitas, Einar Imperium) and lost badly, then he took it an played my current favorite all Vydar army (Q9, KM, NA, AC) and I stomped on him.

Our conclusion was that this army looks very good on paper and in theory, but it doesn't stand up to more tried and proven armies. If someone else has had different luck with the all Samurai Army, please let me know.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
What exactly happened that toasted this army so badly ninthdoc?

Old December 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Well for starters....Hatamoto symbol = shield only works against adjacent normal attacks....This just doesn't happen as much as you would hope when you are facing ranged units.

We also had a summon glyph in play, which we both basically yanked Hatamoto right out of the army and start beating on him.

I think the Army would fare much better with the double archers rather than the Izumi, but even still it is hard to close and dictate action when you are facing good ranged units.

on a side note...the last game we played (draft game) I combined Raelin, Q9, Kaemon Awa, and Nakitas…I liked these results quite a bit (if you look up bad a$$ in the heroscape dictionary you will see a pic of q9, but in the revised for 2007 edition you will also see a picture of Kaemon Awa)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:39 PM

TyG17 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwars
Im also curious as to why this army fared so poorly against the imperium.

Also I came up with a 500 pt army i want a critique over...

Krug
Thorgrim
KMA
Carr
2x Deathreavers

Strategy is to send the reavers out followed by thorgrim to deal some damage. use the reavers cover to attack with the KMA and Carr. Carr can get in there and ghost walk through the troops, picking his battles. When thorgrim goes down put him on Krug to give krug a little staying power with his powerful attack. Sure Krug wont get up to his attack as fast but it will give him the depth to stay in the game.

What do you think?

Ty G
- There will never be another me...

Back from the dead...
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:41 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!
Their range was not great enough to overcome other ranged units. In both games Hatamoto Toro was summoned out of the fray by a a Summoner Glyph and basically rendered ineffective. After that, the ranged units just demolished my forces. Almost the exact same thing happened to R˙chean when he played the same army.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:49 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyG17
Quote:
Im also curious as to why this army fared so poorly against the imperium.
It is called picking your spots; I used the Imperium to take out the archers…Imperium on high ground made counter strike from an archer an acceptable risk. Toward the end, I did lose an Imperium to Kaemo Awa counter strike. Basically the Emporium were used to pick of the archers, beat on Hatamoto, and hold the line for the Krav. Once the Imperium were dead I moved the Empress up to engage and hold for Krav. I passed up at least two attacks on a Tagawa or an Izumi with the Imperium to prevent a possible counter strike. I let the Krav pick off the Melee guys.

Old December 15th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Ry, I agree about Kaemon Awa. That figure is the 2007 version of Krug. Me wantee!

One last question....how would things have played if you had not had a summoning glyph?

And one last comment...I am starting to think that the Flagbearers are not so bueno. In every one of our "friendlies" the army that uses them gets their butt handed to them. I guess we'll have to wait for wisinger to teach us how to use them.

Old December 15th, 2006, 04:05 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
I am starting to think that the Flagbearers are not so bueno. In every one of our "friendlies" the army that uses them gets their butt handed to them. I guess we'll have to wait for wisinger to teach us how to use them.
QFT
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

No comprende.

Old December 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM

IMO, Laglor is a man (well primadon) in competitive play; all other FBSs are just for funsies.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion