Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old October 18th, 2017, 07:33 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Contest Thread - TONIGHT!

Would you guys be opposed to me using an RotV as a map set again?

I know my map uses 1 RotV and 1 BftU, and I'm allowed to call the BftU an expansion and use it again as a master set, but could I call the BftU my main set for that map instead and use an RotV for another map?

(It seems weird that you could technically use 3 BftU over 2 maps, but are limited 1 RotV over 2 maps.)

I know it's late, an I'd understand if not, but at least maybe consider that for next contest? I would try to build another map tonight if it is allowed. I will anyways, but I'd really like to use the RotV.
Old October 18th, 2017, 07:48 PM

Angear knows what's in an order marker Angear knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Would you guys be opposed to me using an RotV as a map set again?

I know my map uses 1 RotV and 1 BftU, and I'm allowed to call the BftU an expansion and use it again as a master set, but could I call the BftU my main set for that map instead and use an RotV for another map?

(It seems weird that you could technically use 3 BftU over 2 maps, but are limited 1 RotV over 2 maps.)

I know it's late, an I'd understand if not, but at least maybe consider that for next contest? I would try to build another map tonight if it is allowed. I will anyways, but I'd really like to use the RotV.
While I am not on the ARV judge committee, from reading their guidelines, and if I am understanding your question correctly, The RotV set can only be used as a Master Set and not as an expansion, so no you could not.

I think the main reason behind these guidelines, stems from the BoV, which the ARV seems to be loosely based off of. The BoV had their map guidelines limited to one RotV masterset because for tournament purposes, it was convenient to have one Master Set = one map. When SoTM came out they decided to allow RotV and Swarm of the Marro in the same map to allow for increased map variability (by combining the two). I think the Swarm of the Marro set was also much easier to get a hold of at the time and much smaller as far as terrain given than RotV was, so using SotM and RotV in the same map did not end up wasting that many resources. (And, as I just noted, there is actually only one map that made it into the BoV that used both large mastersets in the same map).

(Having this been said, (and like I said, with me not being on the committee, I am not sure if their is a specific reason why you can only use one of each masterset as a "masterset" per contest and am curious to hear the answer)

As a tournament director, you want to be able to make the most amount of interesting and unique maps with your fairly limited resources

My map thread is here new map 10/16/12
Old October 18th, 2017, 08:07 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angear View Post
Having this been said, (and like I said, with me not being on the committee, I am not sure if their is a specific reason why you can only use one of each masterset as a "masterset" per contest and am curious to hear the answer

As a tournament director, you want to be able to make the most amount of interesting and unique maps with your fairly limited resources
It’s probably for variety but to say the BftU Set can be used as an expansion for one map and then a Master Set and an expansion for another, while the RotV can only be used for one of the two maps... it’s kinda frustrating. I basically used the RotV in my first submission for the sand and rock. The BftU and the castle are bigger highlights.

As far as tournaments, if there are 10 maps at my tourneys, 4 are RotV, 3 are SotM, 2 BftU, and 1 Marvel, with maybe some overlap. Point is that the RotV is the most popular set, yet it can only be used once in 2 maps while every other set can be used at least twice.

Like I said, look at it for next time. It’s not a big deal now.
Old October 18th, 2017, 09:32 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Great points. We will definitely discuss it. As for the lateness of the time though we'll leave the guidelines as is for this contest and we appreciate the insight!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 19th, 2017, 12:52 PM

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

The Valhallan Wastelands Contest is now closed to submissions, BUT stay tuned in the next day or so and we will have the Top 10 submissions posted out of the 18 submissions received. Great work everyone, and we're really excited about this contest! As soon as the Top 10 are posted a poll will be posted for a week to determine the #1 map to rule them all!! Get excited!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 20th, 2017, 01:53 PM

Re: Contest Thread

The TOP 10 should be posted by this evening! Stay tuned!!!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 21st, 2017, 05:42 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Lol sorry guys, still deliberating!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Old October 22nd, 2017, 04:02 PM

Angear knows what's in an order marker Angear knows what's in an order marker

A bit disappointed that neither of my two submissions made it into the top 10 as I did put a lot of thought into the balance and competitive aspect of both. Oh well, good luck to all of those who made the top 10!

My map thread is here new map 10/16/12

Last edited by Angear; October 22nd, 2017 at 04:17 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 04:18 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
A bit disappointed that neither of my two submissions mde it into the top 10 as I did put a lot of thought into the balance and competitive aspect of both. Oh well, good luck to all of those who made the top 10!
Unfortunately that's just how these go sometimes. Some maps that I gave a high score got low scores by other judges, and vice versa. Thus, while for the most part my personal top 10 made it into the final top 10, not all of them did, and I'm sure that's the same for the other judges as well. And I've even played on and used maps that didn't make it into the top 10 for local tournaments before. I'm thinking of playing on your Infernal Ruins on my own time as I think it looks interesting - if I do I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT - Also, for all participants, don't forget that we have our Workshop Thread in which you can seek feedback, make alterations, and resubmit your map for ARV approval. We just got three maps through there which had been resubmitted, and we're looking forward to help with more!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 22nd, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:16 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
A bit disappointed that neither of my two submissions made it into the top 10 as I did put a lot of thought into the balance and competitive aspect of both. Oh well, good luck to all of those who made the top 10!
My A Couple Puddles was in the last contest, but didn't make it into the top 10. I ran it through the workshop, and now it's in the approved List of Tournament Worthy Maps. Only 3 of the top 10 from that last contest got into the approved list, and 2 of those also went through the workshop before doing so.
Old October 22nd, 2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Ditto to Leaf_it and Bigga's comments. The Workshop Thread is the best place for us to talk about issues we saw with the maps and help rework them.
Don't get discouraged my friend!

Sir Heroscape's Content

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla