Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old June 17th, 2017, 02:19 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
kolakoski's Buildfest of Champions Competition #1

Well met!

[Borrowing heavily from
kevindola's Competitive Army Challenge]

This is a prize-free competition for army building. Here are the rules:

I will propose a scenario complete with map. Your job is to submit to me via PM your 1 army build. Feel free to give your army a name to add to the fun of the competition.

Army Submission Deadline: Monday, 7/17

After the deadline I will post all the armies anonymously.
Each person will get to vote for up to 4 armies that you think are the best in a round robin format for the given scenario. After voting I will submit a final four bracket for the Final Four and championship. We will do a final round of voting where you get 1 vote for your pick for the Champion. The Champion will be then be announced and showered with praise.

Since I would like the army submissions to be anonymous, this thread can be about pre army idea discussion, and discussion about matchups once the armies are all posted.

The Map. Ticalla Daybreak (4 players - based on GameBear's Ticalla Sunrise). Upload: 4/21/13. Requirements: 2 SotM, 2 TJ. Author: Nomad.

Treasure Glyphs. Instead of the original Glyphs on this map, seven Treasure Glyphs will serve as Alien Artifacts (no Powers, no Traps, remain non-Power side up when picked up). Before any units are placed in their Start Zones, the Players roll for Initiative, and place a single Treasure Glyph on an open Sand hex until all are placed. Special Treasure Glyph Rules for this scenario:

1. Only Unique Hero figures can attempt to pick up or activate Treasure Glyphs. Remember that Uncommon figures are considered Unique for all special powers and Glyphs. Other figures can land on spaces with Treasure Glyphs on them, but they cannot attempt to pick them up or activate them unless otherwise stated. Note: Any figure may choose to stand on a Treasure Glyph and not activate it or pick it up, preventing others from gaining access to it.

2. Treasure Glyphs do not force figures to stop when moving onto them. However, a Unique Hero figure that ends its movement on a space with a Treasure Glyph may attempt to pick it up.

3. Treasure Glyphs cannot be traded between figures. Treasure Glyphs must first be dropped by one figure (either Voluntarily while moving, or by the figure being destroyed-see below), and then picked up by another figure at a later time.

4. A Unique Hero can carry only one Treasure Glyph.

Dropping Treasure Glyphs: At any point during a figure's movement, you may announce that the figure is dropping a Treasure Glyph. Announce which Treasure Glyph the figure is dropping, and place it power-side up onto a space the figure currently occupies. That figure may now continue its movement.
Note: You may drop a Treasure Glyph onto a space that already has another Glyph or Treasure Glyph on it.

Losing Treasure Glyphs:
If a figure that is carrying a Treasure Glyph is destroyed, the Glyph is placed onto a space the figure last occupied.

Neutral Force. Eight squads of Dividers. Before any units are placed in their Start Zones, after the Treasure Glyphs have been placed, the Players roll for Initiative, and place a single Divider on any Sand hex (including those containing Treasure Glyphs) until all are placed. During the game, Players may place no more than one Order Marker on the Dividers. Dividers may never attack Dividers, and will always attack units leaving engagement with them.

Armies. For a 4-Player, 10 Round, game. Based on this year's Islandscape. Create an 18 hex, 500 point army. Your army must be formed from one of the following alliances: Jandar / Ullar / Valkrill; Utgar / Einar; Vydar / Aquilla. No more than 300 points from 1 general.

Victory Conditions.
After 10 Rounds, Victory Points (VPs) are awarded to each Player as follows:

1 VP for the most enemy units (not points) killed.

1 VP for the most units
(not points) remaining on the map.

1 VP for possessing the most Treasure Glyphs on Sand hexes.

Last edited by kolakoski; June 17th, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old June 20th, 2017, 05:57 PM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: kolakoski's Buildfest of Champions Competition #1

I think you broke my brain. But based on your Victory Conditions, couldn't this end up in a 3-way tie?

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old June 20th, 2017, 08:48 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianWolf88 View Post
I think you broke my brain. But based on your Victory Conditions, couldn't this end up in a 3-way tie?

AW88
What's your problem? Sure.
Old June 21st, 2017, 10:23 AM

AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby! AnubianWolf88 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnubianWolf88 View Post

AW88
What's your problem? Sure.
So many problems... . But I was trying to get my head around the game concept and failing. More sleep is clearly the answer. Thanks!

AW88

Currently playing:
Dixit; Catan; Pastiche; and waiting for my copy of Critical Mass to arrive from Arcane Wonders!

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
Old June 21st, 2017, 12:34 PM

Well met!

I think you broke my brain.

So many problems... . But I was trying to get my head around the game concept and failing.

In the last x number of scenarios I've created, I've been trying to avoid the game degenerating into a pure power contest. Sherman totally blew up my last attempt (fielding Braxas and Q9) (see
#517 and #520). So, I'm gratified if you're finding that there are no "obvious" builds for this scenario.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:48 PM

Well met!

The first entry has arrived! And already defies convention . . .

Old July 1st, 2017, 06:58 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

This should be quite interesting. Have fun @kolakoski

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 11th, 2017, 09:55 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

Any update on this?
Old September 14th, 2017, 03:33 PM

Deleted

Last edited by kolakoski; September 14th, 2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: messed up
Old September 14th, 2017, 09:36 PM

HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker HEROSCAPERMTL knows what's in an order marker

It's a shame there weren't enough entries, you had an interesting idea with the comp

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion