Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 17th, 2017, 12:58 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
The Scroll of April

COMPETITIVE MAP
By BiggaBullfrog

Download, Online Game Link
Required sets:RotV, TJ, TT

Map Bio -
April's weather is pretty... wild.

Reviews-
Tiranx
April turned out to be a very fun map. The LoS blockers on the sides provided some cover for holding glyphs, but not so much that you could indefinitely hold them. Good placement of trees and bushes gave cover for melee figures while they charged across the flats and helped balance the game for melee vs. range games. I personally love the tundra set more than any other terrain set, so I may be a little biased. I also liked the use of water tiles in the center of the board to help fill things out, but not create a ton of choke points. This is also a map that I would enjoy playing terrain dependent figures. Any map that gets more figures on the table is a good map. This gets a from me.

TREX
Very clever use of terrain to boost the elevations under the 24 hexes. This does not make it as mobile(if you needed to take in to a tourney in one piece), but still keeps its shape just fine on the table and is sturdy enough. The map looks great. The glaciers, snow and ice look very nice with the offset of the jungle trees. It hits theme with the kind of weather we have in these parts to a T. As far as usability on the map: There are 3 routes to take on enemies. Up either side or straight through the middle. In the couple of games played on the map, all of it was used. There is a very quick shot through the middle accompanied by jungle brush and trees to use for cover against ranged attacks. On the sides you can take height and battle for the control glyphs off to the side. Flying figures and ranged figures love this map to hit the elevations, but slower melee figures still have a chance with all the cover. Overall, I enjoyed this map. I played both times on this map with both permanent and treasure glyphs on them. I kept it to not as powerful glyphs such as move, initiative, and defense.

Sir Heroscape
I have played on this map as well, and I'm very impressed. It looked good initially, but I wanted to see how it played, and I was very pleased. I really liked the central movement. It does not get clogged, and units can even get on height 1/2 on the edges as they make their way through the center. I really like the edges as well. You have to decide to go out of your way to control the glyph or to quickly try and engage the enemy in the middle. It can sometimes be a mistake to neglect glyphs for fast development, and I felt that the map kept itself in check with different builds. No one build is too OP on this map, and even if an army wanted to stay in the startzone, the glyph control would force them out into a conflict. Well done Bigga.

•Biggabullfrog - N/A

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; August 21st, 2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old May 17th, 2017, 09:28 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: The Scroll of April

I think this is one of the few maps that would not be too bad having Heavy snow the whole game (not just a failed treasure glyph trap roll). It takes longer to get height, but really not different for move 5 vs move 6 figures. I also like the narrow passages in the center due to water.
Old May 18th, 2017, 12:55 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Scroll of April

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I think this is one of the few maps that would not be too bad having Heavy snow the whole game (not just a failed treasure glyph trap roll). It takes longer to get height, but really not different for move 5 vs move 6 figures. I also like the narrow passages in the center due to water.
Funny you should say that - I actually began designing the map with Heavy Snow rules in mind. There were two major issues that kept me from going through with it in the end: 1) With Heavy Snow, 6 move figures (Rats) could reach the glyphs in 2 moves, while 5 move figures would take 3. 2) The two double-hex snow mounds that are 2-levels high would both be inaccessible to double-spaced figures with 5 or less move, and be a headache for other walking double-spaced figures as well. While this would rule out the good ol' Majors and other such figures, I found that trying to run around the hills with double-spaced figures would get too congested and restrictive to a player with such an army. Granted that's more of a side-scenario, but it was prevalent enough that it, with the glyph issue above, made me decide to just change it to a trap for a fun feature (that I still don't recommend for competitive play). I tried rearranging the spaces a bit, but it changed the design too much and I'd already fallen in love with the setup I had.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla