Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old May 6th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
The Scroll of Volcarren Paradise

COMPETITIVE MAP
By Robber

Download, Online Game Link
Required sets:SotM, VW, TJ

Map Bio -
A newly discovered volcanic island off the coast of the Volcarren Wasteland. Lush tropical terrain covers the surface, and vegetation and wildlife flourish. Hot springs are common due to the island's volcanic origins, their waters warm, crystal-clear and rejuvenating. The air is thick and humid, almost unnaturally so. It is rumored that certain spots on the island are full of wild magic, but this is only speculation.

Reviews-
•Tiranx

TREX
First glance at the map. WOW. I love how the map looks. Sometimes virtualscape is not too flattering for some maps, but when I built this one it looks great. The start zones are spaced well to get your first figures up into the middle fairly easily. I really like how the move range of 5 is easily attainable. There are no wasted move points there. It seems balanced as far as there is plenty of cover for melee figures to move on so they cant be shot down from the other SZ. The map is quite small but it would still be a little difficult to do a start zone bomb with the exception of maybe zelrig. All the terrain in the sets is not used. Which is great for me, because if you can pull off a great map and have leftover terrain that's even better. The map was easy to build with only 3 levels of height. The map also holds together well and is pretty solid. Overall, great job on this one, and thank you Robber for the map. The lava and jungle are incorporated together very well.

Sir Heroscape
Tiranx and I playtested Volcarren Paradise last night and after a long discussion, decided it is tournament worthy. Though each map will at times benefit certain armies depending on the matchup, it is not a broken map, plays evenly and balanced and is aesthetically pleasing. It was also noted the placement of the startzones that allows ranged figures NOT be able to attack the opposing startzones on turn one. It was also noted the clever placement of the central water. Even with the low ground and Ticalla to help melee armies, ranged armies can very strategically camp behind the water pool and not worry about a frontal assault, forcing melee to circumvent the center, and giving ranged armies time to develop and get in some pot shots. The elevation also allows some fun and interesting strategic decisions to be made. Unlike some lava maps, this map was able to add molten lava without making it too much of an obstacle, and it helped direct the flow of troops. Well done!

Biggabullfrog
Lava terrain seems to be the most difficult to master when designing maps. Where to place it, how much, and how to make it fit both mechanically and thematically have been some of my biggest challenges personally, and I feel like I've heard others say the same. That said, this map makes excellent use of the lava set. Visually, the lava and jungle work together to make a really stunning map. Mechanically, while there seems to be a lot of lava, there are plenty of pockets to hide in at the end of a round, and this creates fun gameplay as your units skirmish across the map, trying to do damage then dodge the lava, or stay on it to risk better positioning the next round. And while they may not usually be used in tourney play, the special rules for the water spaces add even more depth to the map concept. The only real problem I have with it is that the start zone spaces do not accommodate placement of the Marro Hive. Personally, as a tournament director, I would be okay allowing a player to switch one of the swamp water spaces with a normal hex should the case arise, but I do know that this could be a deal breaker for other tournament directors. However, I would readily recommend this map for tournament play.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; August 21st, 2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old September 8th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: The Scroll of Volcarren Paradise

The requirements for this are incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:12 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
@Sir Heroscape

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old September 12th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
@Sir Heroscape
Lol oops.

Fixed

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla