Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old January 31st, 2021, 06:27 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] Tetsuo Tyrell (Jace, Investigator) - Playtesting

It looks like everyone from Pod 0 who is currently active is pretty much in agreement about the drop to 4 range with +1R to the normal attack on Overclock.

Before we have the OP updated, though, I'd appreciate it if @Scytale could take a quick look at Post #394 to verify that this change won't cause any issues or require a longer stint in Editing. Taking a look at the Checklist, I don't believe that it will (since Overclock still works the same way, but just boosts one more stat), but I'm not an expert and I'd hate for us to accidentally propagate bad wording after Scytale's done so much work to make everything feasible.
Old February 1st, 2021, 01:05 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

This looks like a solid change to me.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old February 1st, 2021, 12:20 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Before we have the OP updated, though, I'd appreciate it if @Scytale could take a quick look at Post #394 to verify that this change won't cause any issues or require a longer stint in Editing. Taking a look at the Checklist, I don't believe that it will (since Overclock still works the same way, but just boosts one more stat), but I'm not an expert and I'd hate for us to accidentally propagate bad wording after Scytale's done so much work to make everything feasible.
Looks ok. I don't think it affects the Checklist at all, and I can't think of any weird corner caes.
Old February 1st, 2021, 01:49 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Perfect. Thanks for checking that, Scytale.

@NecroBlade , whenever you get a chance, could we get the OP updated to ensure that people are testing the latest version of Tetsuo?
Old February 1st, 2021, 08:20 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Updated. One of these days I'll get around to testing Tetsuo...

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 5th, 2021, 07:13 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Tetsuo was used in a small test here, and was a lot of fun. Even without getting both Mind Jacks, using his powers in conjunction felt great, and he felt powerful but risky.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 11th, 2021, 12:25 PM

@NecroBlade @Captain Stupendous @flameslayer93

I think that overall Tetsuo feels very fun to play right now, and the interaction between Mind Jack and Overclock works well despite pushing him into a pretty aggressive playstyle rather than the original calculated risk-taking mechanics.

My main concern with him is the comparison to the Mind Flayer Mastermind, who has a very similar niche of stealing hero-turns but with less consistency (always 17, instead of Tetsuo's 14-18/19) and only costing 10 points cheaper. There is the Mind Flayer's Special Attack as well, but with only 3 range and 3 attack to potentially steal an Order Marker, my experiences were that Tetsuo's 5 range/5 attack was a much more useful tool to have, and he's far better at staying protected thanks to his range. Tetsuo is relatively balanced already, but unfortunately, balance isn't the only thing that we have to consider.

The change to 4 range (+1 from Overclock) and, critically, 4 range for Mind Jack helps bring them more in line in my eyes, but the comparison still isn't very favorable. It's unfortunate, because the Mind Flayer isn't a "competitive" design, but I think that Tetsuo has to be a bit weaker as a result to avoid overstepping another design's niche. I think that he should be our set's luck-driven figure to a certain extent--he's far less swingy than Ne-Gok-Sa or some of the classic designs already, but often getting to 15-16+ to steal a hero turn is already a bit more reliable than I'm comfortable with.

I'd like to either increase the points by 5-10 to put him in a different weight class than the Mind Flayer or increase the roll cutoff to 20 for Mind Jack. The former is a more plain change, while the latter will result in some memorable moments and is a nice homage to Ne-Gok-Sa (simultaneously making him more distinct from the Mind Flayer by being a higher risk, higher reward option). Do you guys have any thoughts on this direction?
Old September 11th, 2021, 04:11 PM

Either tweak would work for me, provided it bears out in testing. I haven't gotten to playtest him much yet, so my two successes getting the exact minimum number needed with the right number of wounds isn't much of a data point. So the question is would we want a pricier, more consistent turn-stealer, or a cheaper, less reliable one. I'm not sure at the moment, but we do have a few designs in this point range already which makes me lean toward making him fall wherever other units don't.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 11th, 2021, 06:21 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm fine with either change as well. I might slightly lean toward making the D20 20+, just because I think that's a slightly simpler/intuitive number to hit.

Another way to tone down the power while increasing simplicity would be to take away the +1R from Overclock.

Personally, I'm less bothered by the comparisons to Mind Flayer. Classic Scape already had several units that filled similar niches (Shotgun Sullivan / James Murphy, Crixus / Migol, etc.).

I also haven't playtested him much, but he seemed fun based on my limited experience.
Old September 12th, 2021, 04:27 PM

I lean towards 20+ as well, partially because as Capt. S noted, it feels more immediately impactful for what can be such a game-changing power. It also distinguishes from the Mind Flayer much more--with that change, he would only be equivalent in odds at half-health and better when he's on the precipice of death, which feels like a fair trade for Overclock's potential.

I don't like the +1R from Overclock too much because of the added complexity, but I'd prefer to test it before changing it because it was approved by much of Pod 0 originally.
Old September 25th, 2021, 06:01 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm cool with the 20+ option for Mind Jack. In my games Tetsuo never really did much, but it was always the chance that he could do something that was appealing.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 25th, 2021, 03:20 PM

I'll go ahead and put 20+ in the OP for now. We can do further tweaking (such as dropping the +1R on Overclock) based on additional tests, I think.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs