Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old February 7th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Smurf along with me: la la la-la la la!

Looks like you got smurfed up DS.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 7th, 2017, 11:54 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I can't even see what he did with my online/offline button. Plus for a little while yesterday, whenever I clicked on "Control Panel," I was linked instead to a YT video of the Smurfs' theme. I was Smurf-rolled.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old February 7th, 2017, 12:18 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old February 7th, 2017, 01:26 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Dad_Scaper 's online and offline link:

"Dad_scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?"

Al also agree with dok and japes that Common/Unique Hero/Squad should go on the top, others below the name.
Old February 7th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I can't even see what he did with my online/offline button. Plus for a little while yesterday, whenever I clicked on "Control Panel," I was linked instead to a YT video of the Smurfs' theme. I was Smurf-rolled.
As I said, "I know NOTHING!" but obviously there isn't anything wrong with D_S's online/offline indicator, as he confirms above. None of us, see anything strange, right? I mean, nobody would take the time to make it visible to everyone BUT D_S, having to fight vBulletin's template system to accomplish that and all.

All of this concern he has about Smurfs lately is obviously just guilt he has about his attempt to incite violence against Smurfs. It's bubbling up and making him see/not-see things.

If you wonder what I mean about inciting violence, then you aren't on the inside to his dog whistle. As surely as Trump's comment about "second amendment types" was a dog whistle, so was him posting that Conan GIF above in the context of Smurfs. If you want to know more, check the spoiler, but it's not for the faint of heart. You've been warned.
Spoiler Alert!

That said, it would be tremendously awesome if D_S somehow hacked his own online status indicator to link to that video (from all 18,803 of his posts) and say it is "Smurfy" when he is online and alternately say it is "Smurfy" when he is offline, because that's true; this black mark on his record aside, the guy's cool.

Again, I know nothing. However, I did double-check our codebase with regard to D_S to make sure all is well, and did notice some possibly smurf-related anomalies separate from his delusions quoted above. Since those particular anomalies haven't been discovered reported anywhere I guess they're no big deal and won't bother looking into them further unless they become an (awesome) problem at some future date.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK

Last edited by Xorlof; February 7th, 2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old February 7th, 2017, 08:48 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

This is a really great card template, Xorlof.

FWIW, I liked your original template best, but with the smurf head facing right.
Old February 8th, 2017, 11:28 AM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Given the interest, it is more important for this template to be easily usable to the whole community for general 'scape purposes rather than just for the Smurfs as planned. That's adjusted some of my preference for layout and content. With that in mind, here are my current preferences on the issues.

1) Aesthetically, with a bit of reworking, I think I would like the "highest" icons option I presented, but given limited space, I think it best to have them not peek above the blue bar. It allows them to be shifted to the left and right which may be needed for squads, plus (very importantly) saves space in the special powers area.

2) Range icon--I like the original nebulous one best at the moment, but will spend some time seeing if I can rework the arrow, which is a close second, IMO. With reworking, it might shoot up to the top for me and hopefully others. I think I've done about all I can do cross-hairs wise. If we go that route, we've got a consensus on which is best (#2.) I still find all 3--original, crosshairs #2, and arrow viable.

3) For points display, I'm completely at odds with the consensus. However, I'll bow to the wisdom of crowds and at least drop the piggybank, but do not yet want to drop the "plain text just above the blue shield" option. Maybe some tweak will turn more in favor of it. For a piece of information that pretty much needs to stay out of the way during game play, given that a low-key, attractive (?) text option exists (without space concerns), if feels possibly Lord Privy Seal-ish to iconify it. Heck, I think it might be able to hang out there as simply a number--no points label, no icon.

4) I like the old bomb too.

5) You've convinced me to move species. I don't think there is space at the top for uniqueness/cardinality unless you're all OK with the two words being stacked ("common [new line] hero" instead of "common hero"). If curious about why species was put there in the first place:
Spoiler Alert!

I'm glad the height relocation went over well.

Yep, @superfrog , I have to fix the top of the big toe.

So, it feels like we've nailed down move and attack well enough. Range still has options, but they're fine. I'm working on a helmet option for defense, but shield will be fine if that doesn't end up looking better.

I will soon work on some options for squads.

Given this design could see a decent amount of use elsewhere, I want to be reasonably careful about it, but don't want this to go on forever with endless options. We've been at this for about a week, starting on GroundHOG day. I hope we've got our current discussion topics wrapped up in another week, figure out some additional details, and have final templates designed in time for National PIG Day, in honor of our first casualty of the design process.

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:01 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Xorlof , I'm super glad that your trying to make these usable for general scape along with your smurfs. I really like the playing card sized cards but didn't like the tiny space filled with tons of boxes and a tiny picture. These look simple enough, but elegant in how it is displayed. I love the template and can't wait til you make it available for customs. I was going to do one myself soon enough, but heck, yours looks awesome.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 8th, 2017, 02:54 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xorlof View Post
3) For points display, I'm completely at odds with the consensus. However, I'll bow to the wisdom of crowds and at least drop the piggybank, but do not yet want to drop the "plain text just above the blue shield" option. Maybe some tweak will turn more in favor of it. For a piece of information that pretty much needs to stay out of the way during game play, given that a low-key, attractive (?) text option exists (without space concerns), if feels possibly Lord Privy Seal-ish to iconify it. Heck, I think it might be able to hang out there as simply a number--no points label, no icon.
I'd still prefer bottom left just above the bar to bottom right just above the bar, if for no other reason than clearing space from the power text area.

Given the overall aethetic of the card, I think dropping "points" is pretty much a no-brainer. The same argument you make above could be repurposed to include text like "move" and "spaces", too, after all.

Icon-less is an option, but the coin is nice and evocative. Another icon idea would be to put it on a paper note. (Give it a little ripple so it looks like a bill and not just a generic rectangle, I guess?)

Quote:
So, it feels like we've nailed down move and attack well enough. Range still has options, but they're fine. I'm working on a helmet option for defense, but shield will be fine if that doesn't end up looking better.
It's hard for me to imagine any helmet icon being more intuitive, evocative, and Heroscape-appropriate than a shield. I could see messing around with the shield type, but I can see why you went kite shield as opposed to the more traditional heater shape.

Quote:
I will soon work on some options for squads.
Cool. Interested to see how this works for a squad, or a really text-heavy card like Repulsors.
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:11 PM
Super Smurfy

Still working on other stuff for this too. For all of these drafts, just concentrate on the icons in question, not their location. Don't need feedback on the points options today either. Except for the last graphic, we're only talking about range.

Here we go. More arrow options to sound off on:

Now arrowheads:

And an attempt at fletching on the other end of the arrow:

Any of those any better or worth investigating further?

I tried working on a helmet, but haven't come up with anything that is presentable. Still toying around with it thought.

Finally, I previously worried about using the standard skull/shield symbol for attack and defense because the areas inside of the icons that are white when you look at the dice would compete for attention with the white number I'm overlaying on them. I came up with the idea that maybe instead of those inset details being white, maybe I make them darker, specifically a dark shade of the same red/blue. First try at that:

Personally, I think the darker details look GREAT and it makes me want to go back and have the move and range icons have similar details. What say all of you?

Old February 14th, 2017, 06:26 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Not digging the Arrowheads or the fletching. I do think the skull and shield look great. Though it makes me wonder what it would look like if you flipped the move icon 180 degrees and raised the text slightly so the attack number was more over the solid part of the skull.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 14th, 2017, 06:57 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Yeah, the skull and the shield look really good. Perhaps that second cross-hair with some darker background details and flesh out the foot similarly to match.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations