Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old May 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Sujoah & the Fyorlag Spiders cards on front page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Hot Hatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Lane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
HHH, One way to think of it might be that the squad has to pause to help disentangle their hapless squadmate (even if it's only uselessly shouting suggestions across the distance).
One thing I would add though as far as the realistic part goes is that you could have a scenario where members of a squad are on completely opposite sides of the board, but both are affected even though only one is anywhere near a spider. Not arguing against it, just does seem odd.
You could always think of it as the squad member who gets webbed was the one carrying the orders...squad leader as it were.
Yep, can always think of a how or why to convince yourself (like I did when deciding that Sujoah's poison sting contains acid which is why it affects Soulborgs). It also keeps things simple... I like simple.
At least with Sujoah you can always claim that the thorn or horn or whatever it is that it stings you with in the tail or mouse or whatever it is is pointy and sharp and even if the poison does not get to you the impact will be strong enough to wound.

She is also Huge and that alone could make an exception. She could simply grab a soulborg and throw it from altitude.
He
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:30 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Rather than realism, I think this is a game mechanic that was desperately needed. There are too many things that can affect unique heroes--squads need to be balanced and the spiders do that. For me, it is all about the need to balance out squadscape and I am grateful for the spiders. (Yeah, they are trying to help free the guy, and then running back to their positions, sure...if you need an explanation--maybe the spiders have a sonic effect that hurts the heads of every unit like the one in the webs. I'm okay with this particular oddity b/c of the metagame needs.)
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:32 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

That's right it is a he. It's just that its name sounds female in my native language, Spanish.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM

Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker Hero Hot Hatch knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Rather than realism, I think this is a game mechanic that was desperately needed. There are too many things that can affect unique heroes--squads need to be balanced and the spiders do that. For me, it is all about the need to balance out squadscape and I am grateful for the spiders. (Yeah, they are trying to help free the guy, and then running back to their positions, sure...if you need an explanation--maybe the spiders have a sonic effect that hurts the heads of every unit like the one in the webs. I'm okay with this particular oddity b/c of the metagame needs.)
I do understand the contradiction in having some powers that only affect uniques. Your claim makes sense. That's just not realistic either so there was a need for a "game mechanic" of such nature. Nevertheless, I hope those remain oddities and that the combat dynamics remain as realistic as possible. One can always justify anything, but the more the battle dynamics reflect actual and real tactical options given the context of Fantasy and SciFi, the better. Even the most "fantastic" and "SciFi" scenarios have plausible explanations that are often explicit and clear. Again I "really" hope that such things are limited and that it does not become more common in future units. It would spoil the game for me a little to tell you the truth regardless of any "metagame" needs.

Is there a bio yet? Maybe the answer is in the bio.

I don't care about choosing my army based on strategy. I choose an army based on coolness and personal appeal... even if it means that my units will die trying. Hail to the glory of HeroScape and bravery.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I understand what you are saying--I do like my fantasy/sci-fi to (as far as possible) make sense within its own set of physics/science. But, just for me, I would have been a lot more bothered to see the Spiders only targeting heroes.

Maybe you can think of them as Phase Spiders--able to cross temporal distances to entangle a unit with the same bio-readings as the one they are engaged with.

The bio may have an answer. And I'm guessing that this is not going to be a replicated issue--the Spiders seem fairly unique in their design and concept.

Sorry if I came across poorly in my earlier post.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:04 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker

Maybe we are supposed to think of the squads without order markers as awaiting new orders as one of their teammates is down and out, if only temporarily. If the plan calls for 4 guys to make a strike, and one gets taken out early, wouldn't the mission be "scrubbed" at that point?
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:12 PM

Acinonyx has disabled reputation

So am I the only science nerd bothered by it being a 'he'? Only female wasps can sting...* For comedy, male wasps have the behavior of stinging, but they are actually poking at you with something much less effective for defense.**

*Yes, I realize how silly this is given the magic and dino riding orcs and so on we already have

** their junk, ewww!
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:16 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
So am I the only science nerd bothered by it being a 'he'? Only female wasps can sting...*
Nah, 'cuz it is an alien wasp from an alien world.

Acid blood is more unbelievable, and yet we have the whole series of Alien films.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM

Acinonyx has disabled reputation

It just gives me a vibe, similar to the Godzilla movie where 'he' is laying eggs all over the place. Uh.... wouldn't that make Godzilla a she?!

That said, I am going to wear this thing out I'll be playing it so much!
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker

Too much excitement.
Just think. WotC almost didn't release this terrain pack which is IMO the best looking of them all and containing the soon to be most usable squad to ever come out in a terrain pack.
Thank you for reconsidering!
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acinonyx View Post
It just gives me a vibe, similar to the Godzilla movie where 'he' is laying eggs all over the place. Uh.... wouldn't that make Godzilla a she?!

That said, I am going to wear this thing out I'll be playing it so much!
For the first part, I'd suggest renting the Alien Nation TV series from netflix...these issues will either become a thing of the past or you will be traumatized.

To the second I say ditto to the max!
Old May 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

RE: It just gives me a vibe, similar to the Godzilla movie where 'he' is laying eggs all over the place. Uh.... wouldn't that make Godzilla a she?!

Male seahorses give birth. It's not always black and white where gender roles are concerned. In Godzilla's case, Godzilla is obviously asexual, meaning that gender isn't an issue for him.

As for Sujoah, he looks less like a realistic wasp and more like a devilish, fantastical creature crossed between a scorpion and a fly. His stinger just doesn't look wasp-like to me. He's also native to Valhalla, so I wouldn't judge him by real world "earth rules."

As for the spiders, we've already seen the same thing with Dund. I believe its set up that way to avoid complication; they want Heroscape to be simpler than other wargames and more accessible, therefore they don't want people having to keep track of which figure was crippled/webbed last turn and which weren't.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units