Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon
ScapeCon Forum for events related to Scapecon

Notices

Old July 25th, 2022, 04:18 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: ScapeCon 2022 Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post

GENERAL SUGGESTIONS/IDEAS:
- Have a Heroscape "background" like a mural or big picture or logo or banner/flag just to make the "environment" a little more immersive? idk
We do have the table top stands and a taller floor stand we've used in the past (not used this year), but they aren't "mural" size. That said, I still have the GenCon 2008 wall "poster" - probably 8'x8' (you can sort of see it in the picture below - on the right hanging on the black "wall"). I think this was the only year it was put up - we don't have a stand for it and apparently attaching to walls in the convention center is a no-no. Don't know if the hotel would let us hang/attach it to the wall.

Old July 25th, 2022, 04:20 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Quote:

- Have a Heroscape "background" like a mural or big picture or logo or banner/flag just to make the "environment" a little more immersive? idk
We do have the table top stands and a taller floor stand we've used in the past (not used this year), but they aren't "mural" size. That said, I still have the GenCon 2008 wall "poster" - probably 8'x8' (you can sort of see it in the picture below - on the right hanging on the black "wall"). I think this was the only year it was put up - we don't have a stand for it and apparently attaching to walls in the convention center is a no-no. Don't know if the hotel would let us hang/attach it to the wall.

Heck yeah, that'd be perfect!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 25th, 2022, 05:50 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

Stands could be made for that, looks like all you'd need is three PVC pipes, two elbow pieces to connect at the upper left and right corners, and something to stick them to at the bottom to use as the weighted base

If I'm seeing that properly, it's structured like this, where there are three sleeves at the top that a pipe could be fit through and it simply hangs from there?

Old July 25th, 2022, 05:56 PM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't remember there being sleeves at the top,but it's been a while since I had it out. I think it we just had it "taped" over the top of the "black wall" in the picture (in 2008 Heroscape was run in conjunction with PastTime games and the wall was part of their setup - prizes, etc. were kept behind the wall).

I've thought about making a frame for it in the past (probably PVC pipe) to use at Gencon (now ScapeCon), but never got around to it.
Old July 25th, 2022, 06:46 PM

Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Master Roshi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I don't remember there being sleeves at the top,but it's been a while since I had it out. I think it we just had it "taped" over the top of the "black wall" in the picture (in 2008 Heroscape was run in conjunction with PastTime games and the wall was part of their setup - prizes, etc. were kept behind the wall).

I've thought about making a frame for it in the past (probably PVC pipe) to use at Gencon (now ScapeCon), but never got around to it.
I see, in that case the stabd could be made in the same way but instead of sliding the top pole through sleeves you could use clamps to hold the material at the top
Old July 25th, 2022, 07:32 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Sounds like a plan! we should totally bust those out!
@Retlaw it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to cart those banners along with the terrain would it? Hardest part I'd imagine is figuring out the setup in the ballroom and how to frame/secure them. But we've got a year for that

This gives me an idea...I'm totally gunna use my SirH Logo/Coat of Arms and put it on a Banner next year to "stake my claim" while doing battle...hahah

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old July 26th, 2022, 06:01 AM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Great comments from everyone -- please keep the comments coming. We're listening, discussing, and instituting changes for an even better experience next year.

Negotiations with the hotel are almost complete (I hope to sign the contract today) and we should be dropping initial details for ScapeCon III by August 1.
Old July 27th, 2022, 07:56 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Had a blast seeing people again since I did not come last year, and Gencon 2019 was my first time at a main event situation. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the event, from planning to prizes. Here are a few thoughts about my first Scapecon.

1) Loved that there was A+ restrictions in quite a few tournaments. I think that keeps the game time down and the action going. It is great to let them be used in some, but I think for such a big event, it keeps the action moving and games not going to time. I also think it invites more armies to the table.

2) Would love to see the restriction applied to a VC tournament (just one). VC adds a lot, but A+ is A+, and causes the same problems here.

3) General Wars. Need to figure out how best to handle Valkril so it can be used, but not be a major force. Maybe make it VC so it is its own General?

4) Agree with many about Shifting Alliances. Great concept and I love playing with and meeting other players, just needs to be tweaked. I was 0-2 and dropped out so that I would not hurt a 2-0 player in the final round.

5) Cost was fair and the discount for no breakfast was great. As an intermittent faster, it was a nice savings for food I would not eat.

6) I really liked that we tried different formats. Would love to see Assassin's Creed return. Burn out is crazy, but fun. We need to tweak Control Points. Firestorm dominated the best armies.

7) Love what Delta scoring does and would like to see a little more of it.

Hope we keep one day passes. Even if the main event fills up, it allows people (I live in the midwest) to come who cannot afford the whole 5 days. We do have people in our group that are interested and I am hoping to get them to pop over for a day to experience it.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!

Last edited by Muskie; July 27th, 2022 at 08:02 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Old July 27th, 2022, 11:26 AM

Earl_of_Sandwich rolls all skulls baby! Earl_of_Sandwich rolls all skulls baby! Earl_of_Sandwich rolls all skulls baby! Earl_of_Sandwich rolls all skulls baby!

ScapeCon II was an absolute blast, and somehow improved on ScapeCon I I'll highlight a few of the things:
- digital sign-in for the tourneys was sleek
- a lot of very cool formats. I absolutely LOVED Control Points (it's up there with Betrayal for me). I wish I could've played Classic Delta, so hoping it might be in a featured time slot for next year.
- great food yet again. I didn't realize the buffet was more $$ than the plated dinner, but to me the buffet is preferable to the plated dinner
- insane prize support. Obviously would be awsome to see the same next year, but also I think people would be understanding if it fluctuates each year. My point here is basically whatever you're able to coordinate or get will be awesome Mike, so I wouldn't put any undo pressure on yourself to out-do the prizing each year (though no one will complain if you're able to lol)
-the hang and hype at ScapeCon is awesome, and I think will continue to blossom each year

I don't really have any critiques, as I thought the important stuff was all handled super well. The only point I might make would dovetail off of the several comments I've seen about the A+ ban(s). I agree that this was a welcome change, but would also second the opinions voiced here about potentially mixing it up a bit. A good twist for A+ ban could be what I believe the Michigan crew does sometimes, where you are allowed to take only one A+ unit. But all in all, I like that many of the tournaments banned them, as it helped speed up game play and let some other units hit the table.

Thank you again, George and Mike. I'm already looking forward to ScapeCon III!
Old July 27th, 2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
Had a blast seeing people again since I did not come last year, and Gencon 2019 was my first time at a main event situation. Thank you to everyone who contributed to the event, from planning to prizes. Here are a few thoughts about my first Scapecon.

1) Loved that there was A+ restrictions in quite a few tournaments. I think that keeps the game time down and the action going. It is great to let them be used in some, but I think for such a big event, it keeps the action moving and games not going to time. I also think it invites more armies to the table.

2) Would love to see the restriction applied to a VC tournament (just one). VC adds a lot, but A+ is A+, and causes the same problems here.

3) General Wars. Need to figure out how best to handle Valkril so it can be used, but not be a major force. Maybe make it VC so it is its own General?

4) Agree with many about Shifting Alliances. Great concept and I love playing with and meeting other players, just needs to be tweaked. I was 0-2 and dropped out so that I would not hurt a 2-0 player in the final round.

5) Cost was fair and the discount for no breakfast was great. As an intermittent faster, it was a nice savings for food I would not eat.

6) I really liked that we tried different formats. Would love to see Assassin's Creed return. Burn out is crazy, but fun. We need to tweak Control Points. Firestorm dominated the best armies.

7) Love what Delta scoring does and would like to see a little more of it.

Hope we keep one day passes. Even if the main event fills up, it allows people (I live in the midwest) to come who cannot afford the whole 5 days. We do have people in our group that are interested and I am hoping to get them to pop over for a day to experience it.

I agree with making Valkrill VC for general wars
Old July 29th, 2022, 03:56 PM
OHS S40 and VCheese #2 Champion

boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla boromir96 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just dumping a list of suggestions/ideas I have that I don’t want to forget. Some have already been discussed but I’ll leave them here for posterity.

More swag like items on the prize table (Heroscape mugs/coasters/hats etc.)
Written procedure for GMs with time structure laid out. (When to call 15 mins, last round, last OMS)

Round timer visible for the whole room, clearly explain when last round and last OM will be called. (E.g Timer counting down from 55 mins, everyone knows last round will be called when it hits 8 mins, last OM on 2 mins) Slight concern this could lead to people stalling if they're up on points, but down in game state.

Specific ban list for MM. PKs. Yes they haven't won, but enough people bring them that games are not as interesting as they could be. Could also do like B+ and under

Replace B+ in 3HH with specific banlist that still takes out all the top armies, but allows you to play Greenscales with Othkurik, Macdirks with Alastair, etc..

VC events that are classic Gencon events. Monster Mash, General Wars,

Tournament Record:126-52 Online record:67-34
Peoria IL Monthly Tournaments

Old July 29th, 2022, 05:27 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by boromir96 View Post
Just dumping a list of suggestions/ideas I have that I don’t want to forget. Some have already been discussed but I’ll leave them here for posterity.
More swag like items on the prize table (Heroscape mugs/coasters/hats etc.)
Like a Swag Rider?

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > ScapeCon