Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old May 17th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Guys, this isn't a workshop thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Guys, this isn't a workshop thread.
Yeah, workshop your ideas elsewhere. Some discussion of submissions either ongoing, current or past is fine but citing tons of examples to support another or to discuss how you would make a custom different is not what this thread is about.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:55 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I like the update it takes away in confusion.

I vote to YES to review the Ragweb Spider.

I'm still thinking about the Stone Elemental....
Old May 18th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Ragweb Spider by Son of Arathorn has received 5 YES votes to review (nyys, qt.bangerang, Scytale, Super Bogue, ZBeeblebrox) and moves on in the process.

Stone Elemental conversation continued in Kaemon Awa 123's customs thread here.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Putting aside the discussions about De-animate, I have another issue with the unit that is enough to decide my vote.

It took me a while to pin down what made me feel uneasy about Shield Crush. The concept of the power is that the Stone Elemental rolls additional attack dice against a figure with "6 or more defense". The problem is that, technically speaking, a figure's defense is not determined until after the attack roll. As an example, if an explosion attack hits two Romans, if the first Roman dies the second Roman does not get the Shield Wall bonus.

I realize I'm splitting hairs, and since this is a simple single-figure normal attack it's questionable if even theoretical situations currently have a problem. (If a Ninja of the Northern Wind with height and Raelin successfully rolls Disappearing Ninja, does he have no defense because he rolls no dice?) However, as I've argued before, I'm against powers that do something based on something that will be determined at a later time.

I vote NO to review the Stone Elemental.
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:04 PM

Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awa 123 rolls all skulls baby!

Ok, seeing as the Stone Elemental has sparked a ton of discussion and suggestions, I think that I'm going to pull it. Thanks for the feedback everyone, but simply the fact that it's gotten this many replies shows that it isn't quite ready. And, as always, this isn't a workshop thread.

I'm probably going to take a few days to sort through everything, and maybe make some changes to how the card works. Depending on how playtesting goes, this guy might be making a second attempt.

Many apologies for wasted time,
~KA123
Old May 18th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Kaemon Awa 123 and all customs creators with the courage to go through this process are rock stars, regardless of the outcome.

That is all.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:26 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Kaemon Awa 123 and all customs creators with the courage to go through this process are rock stars, regardless of the outcome.

That is all.

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Once I figured out how to most effectively use the Horned Skull Champion by qt.bangerang (protip: he doesn't need to be paired with the HSBs) I had a lot of fun with him (though I did find myself wishing for goblins in secret sevice uniforms so that it made more sense when I had them dive in front of a HSC in slow-motion yelling "NOOOOOOOO!" ).

Unfortunately the potential for (sort-of) chain-bonding through Rabble Rouser leaves me concerned enough for the future of either this guy's power or stifling unit design that I vote NO to induct the Horned Skull Champion into the Soldiers of Valhalla.

The Horned Skull Champion by qt.bangerang has received 2 NO votes to induct (Killometer, Scytale) and is removed from the process.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:14 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

FWIW, I want to add that I liked the HSC, overall, but had similar concerns to those already raised. I hope this unit is reconsidered and possibly resubmitted. I think making his Rabble Rouser a "before" rather than "after" power is something to look at more. Fun unit, QT, very fun unit!
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:23 AM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Cxurg'gyath by Tolamos

Balance
At first I thought at 140 points there is no way that it would be worth it to field him along with a couple of Mind Flayer Masterminds, and there would be no reason to take him without Mind Flayer Masterminds as Enslave Enhancement is the biggest draw. However, I was wrong and at 140 pts he is a pretty good unit, being able to fill multiple roles in your army.

Theme

He has really great theme and acts very well as the leader of the Mind Flayer Masterminds giving them the needed bonus on Enslave. The figure is amazing…as are most of the Reaper Prepainted minis…he fits very well on the board. Also, his Psionic Explosion Special Attack is perfect, as I would expect his special to be stronger than the uncommon Mind Flayer Mastermind. It really gives you the feeling that he is attacking the minds of his enemies as they try to close around him or his allies.

Accessibility
As one of Reaper Prepainted minis they are still in print and available at many online stores for around $4.

Playability
Again, at first I thought at 140 points there is no way that it would be worth it to field him along with a couple of Mind Flayer Masterminds…putting you at 340 for just 3 figures! So, I started looking for good filler units that would give the needed support. First, the wyrmlings came to mind and added a good variety of special attacks and mobility. Then, Ornak and using Red Flag of Fury Aura to activate my 2 Mind Flayer Masterminds, along with some Blade Gruts. But, I found that using Reavers (2-3 squads) and a good ranged filler to draw your opponent to you (like Zetacron or Deadeye Dan) worked the best.

I also, found that his Psionic Explosion Special Attack makes him a great clean up character as well as a great protector for your Mind Flayer Masterminds if they get swarmed. Which is a great counter to squads that like to stay grouped together, as well as making your opponent place this figures carefully when Cxurg'gyath is near.

Another aspect that I liked about Cxurg'gyath is that using him and the Mind Flayer Mastermind(s) requires good OM management. I really enjoyed this as I though it fit well with the theme of the figures…masterminds which are great at planning…and with a good d20 roll your opponent will be running from his own figures.

Summary
I am very impressed with this unit as it enhanced a unit (Mind Flayer Mastermind) that I normally would not play, and made it fun to play with. Its theme is also very good, along with a great mini choice. He fits very well into Dungeon Crawl settings, and I could see him used in tournament play…as I would be willing to take him to one.

He is very niche specific which too many may be a drawback, however, there are many official figures that are very niche specific forcing you to take them in specific builds. So, for me this is not a problem as there is a precedent for it.

I vote YES to induct Cxurg'gyath into the SoV.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
FWIW, I want to add that I liked the HSC, overall, but had similar concerns to those already raised. I hope this unit is reconsidered and possibly resubmitted. I think making his Rabble Rouser a "before" rather than "after" power is something to look at more. Fun unit, QT, very fun unit!
I'll second this thought. It's too good a mini for it not to come back.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs