Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Notices

Old July 13th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Boodog knows what's in an order marker Boodog knows what's in an order marker
Trekscape: SEE MAPS AND SCENARIOS thread for Away Missions

Hello all:

The Away Team Mission Thread has moved to a new home.

This thread will be used for the forthcoming Away Team Missions, a.k.a. Trekscape Maps and Scenarios.

First, I’d like to welcome anyone who has an interest in designing maps, Star Trek, or both to the project – the more, the merrier.

I have a few goals, which I will list here, but I also want to get feedback from as many people as possible.

1) Although we are just getting started with the design phase for the figures of Trekscape, I would like to brainstorm what kinds of maps and scenarios you would like to see from any series, but with the intention of focusing a bit more on TOS and TNG, since those will be the first “sets” the Trekscapers are designing.

I took the lead here in creating a scenario and map for one of the pivotal battles of the Dominion War, the siege of AR-558, for the future DS9 expansion. I will post it below as an example. And yes, I am attempting to create at least part of the Esplanade (wish me luck on that).

2) I’d like to get some mileage out of the maps we create, perhaps with at least two scenarios which could be “run” off of a single map. i.e.: my Siege map is might be re-used as a hypothetical scenario for something stealthy. Feel free to let your imagination run wild – I am open to objective-based scenarios such as deactivating a piece of hardware or rescuing a prisoner, as well as simple deathmatch battles, Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, etc. In short, Trek is perfect for multiple types of scenarios just as there were a myriad of different away team missions.

3) If you have ideas which require figures and hypothetical point costs, throw ‘em in! Just know that the design team will tweak these over time based on performance and compatability with classic ‘Scape, and we will adjust it accordingly.

Our First Mission(s)

1) I need volunteers for the Away Team – there is no threat of a Jem’Hadar encounter here. It would be more like helping Wesley with h…. ehhh, you get the picture.
2) Brainstorm!!! Let me know what you’d like to see for each different set, or all the sets. Don’t censor anything or think anything is not “doable.” If we can dream it, we can do it… unless it requires 20+ ROTV, in which case, I will have to defer to the wizardry of Dr. Weirdscaper …
3) Special Request – I’d like for us to attempt to implement a rudimentary “mission generator” which is basically like a “Holodeck” program or one of Q’s little amusements for himself. i.e.: it could pit Starfleet captains/units of different eras against each other. It doesn’t have to be something elaborate, but rather a way for us to have a little something unique for Trekscape . At the very least, I would love to have at least one crazy Q scenario which we write ourselves. So, this would be a good (and fun!) collaborative project for those who like to write fan fiction.

Anything else? Let me know. Onward!

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!

Last edited by Boodog; July 27th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM

Re: Trekscape - Away Team Missions, Protoype Phase

Here is a sample scenario I made...

The Siege of AR-558

The Siege of AR-558
A scenario for use with Trekscape (DS9 expansion)

Requirements: 2xMS3 (Underdark)
DS9 Expansion for Trekscape

This is not the Federation you know. Let me tell you something about Hu-mans, nephew. They're a wonderful, intelligent, peaceful people, as long as their bellies are full and the holosuites are working. But take away their sonic showers and their creature conforts, they become as nasty and as vile as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. Look around you ... you know I'm right. -- QUARK

The war against the Dominion rages on. Capt. Sisko, Dr. Bashir, Ezri Dax, and Lt. Nog have been sent into the Chin'toka system to resupply a position on AR-558, a desolate, rocky outpost, and host to a captured Jem'Hadar Communications array, a precious piece of equipment which the Federation hopes to use agasint the Dominion. But with their froces spread thin, the Federation cannot send reinforcements. Despite repeated engagements, heavy losses, fatigue and frayed nerves, the remaining Federation soldiers fight desperately to protect the array. With the knowledge of a fresh Jem'Hadar force assembling nearby, Sisko and his away team members remain on AR-558 with only one standing order, "Hold."
Victory Conditions: The Jem'Hadar win if at least one Jem'Hadar soldier remains on a glyph space at the end of a round. The Federation wins when all of the Jem'Hadar have been eliminated...
Tactics:
Federation: With the help of Dax, the Federation ko has managed to re-route deadly subspace mines into a ravine, where Jem'Hadar troop movement has triggered the weapons en masse. Despite this attempt to "even the odds," the Federation force still faces superior numbers, but retains a slight tactical advantage in terms of position. Try and use the shadow spaces to your advanatge as well.
Jem'Hadar: To rush or not to rush? Do you attempt to press your forces into the Federation base where the Communications area can be destroyed, or attempt to neutralize the Federation with superior numbers?
Federation: (?)
Sisko 150
Bashir 100
3xFederation Soldiers 180
=430/11
Jem'Hadar (?)
10xJem'Hadar = 600/30The Federation may place troops anywhere but on a blue (Jem'Hadar) starting spaces, or the Green (neutral) spaces. The Jem'Hadar begin on the blue starting spaces.

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Jdet is surprisingly tart

Any chance the Away Team can make some of these scenarios simple (i.e. only using one of everything) so that those of us without multiples of terrain sets can participate?

Jdet is a MacDirk Warrior...
in the Garden of Horror...
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdet View Post
Any chance the Away Team can make some of these scenarios simple (i.e. only using one of everything) so that those of us without multiples of terrain sets can participate?
I'm sure we'll have plenty of different sizes of maps.

While we are brainstorming, I ran across this and I think it or something like it could be used to enhance our maps. AliasQTip created some printable windows and doors that fit between castle wall sections. I can see these being used to help stretch a castle set to create shipboard hallways and corridors or large city scapes or the Promenade when we get to DS9.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...o=file&id=2519

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:35 PM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
If you don't have all the recommended terrain you can always substitute in what you do have or make the map slightly smaller.
Old July 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
I, for one, try and make maps with no more than two of any of the Master Sets or expansions. I'm glad you brought this up, because I do think most of our maps should, for lack of a better word, be "affordable."

That said, I'm all for crazy stuff, too, so this in no way should prevent people from making epic maps

Mac -- great link there. There is also some great Sci-Fi terrain in the Paperscape thread. I think those are great, but I think we should use the custom stuff sparingly if at all, so that anyone can reproduce a map or scenario.

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!
Old July 15th, 2010, 01:24 AM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodog View Post
Quote:
I, for one, try and make maps with no more than two of any of the Master Sets or expansions. I'm glad you brought this up, because I do think most of our maps should, for lack of a better word, be "affordable."

That said, I'm all for crazy stuff, too, so this in no way should prevent people from making epic maps

Mac -- great link there. There is also some great Sci-Fi terrain in the Paperscape thread. I think those are great, but I think we should use the custom stuff sparingly if at all, so that anyone can reproduce a map or scenario.
The beauty of these is that anyone with a printer can have them.

Anyway, here's some iconic episodes from TOS that I'd love to see created here. The titles are links to the episode synopsis on Memory Alpha. I'll add some more and some TNG episodes later.

TOS
The Galileo Seven
Spock faces difficult command decisions when his shuttle crashes on a world populated by barbarous giants. We'd have to substitue some of the other characters, but it could be a survival scenario. The starfleet crew has to survive a set number of rounds until the shuttle is repaired. There are plenty of "barbarous giants" available in classic scape that could be used - Quasatch Hunters & Granite Guardians just to name a few.
Arena
Kirk battles an alien captain who destroyed a Federation outpost. Kirk vs. the Gorn.
A Taste of Armageddon
On a diplomatic mission, the crew visit a planet that is waging a destructive war fought solely by computer simulation, but the casualties, including the crew of the USS Enterprise, are supposed to be real. Kirk and company must manuever around the map - building interiors - and destroy disintegration stations and the command center. We could substitue Klingon or Romulan squads and commanders for now or find some suitable proxies from classic.
Space Seed
The Enterprise discovers an ancient spaceship carrying Augments from 1996 Earth, including their leader, Khan Noonien Singh. Gotta have KHAAAAAAAAAAN! The crew fights the Augments for control of the Enterprise.
The Devil in the Dark
The Enterprise arrives at Janus VI, where an unknown monster is destroying machinery and killing the miners, threatening the entire mining operation.
Kirk and crew must battle the Horta on a mostly rock map. I'm thinking the Horta will have some sort of Tunneling ability that would allow it to move quickly around a battlefield. Maybe the alternate ending to the episode has the Horta eggs beginning to hatch. If the Enterprise crew can't stop the Horta in time, the entire planet is doomed!

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old July 15th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodog View Post
Quote:

The beauty of these is that anyone with a printer can have them.

Anyway, here's some iconic episodes from TOS that I'd love to see created here. The titles are links to the episode synopsis on Memory Alpha. I'll add some more and some TNG episodes later.

TOS
The Galileo Seven
Spock faces difficult command decisions when his shuttle crashes on a world populated by barbarous giants. We'd have to substitue some of the other characters, but it could be a survival scenario. The starfleet crew has to survive a set number of rounds until the shuttle is repaired. There are plenty of "barbarous giants" available in classic scape that could be used - Quasatch Hunters & Granite Guardians just to name a few.
Arena
Kirk battles an alien captain who destroyed a Federation outpost. Kirk vs. the Gorn.
A Taste of Armageddon
On a diplomatic mission, the crew visit a planet that is waging a destructive war fought solely by computer simulation, but the casualties, including the crew of the USS Enterprise, are supposed to be real. Kirk and company must manuever around the map - building interiors - and destroy disintegration stations and the command center. We could substitue Klingon or Romulan squads and commanders for now or find some suitable proxies from classic.
Space Seed
The Enterprise discovers an ancient spaceship carrying Augments from 1996 Earth, including their leader, Khan Noonien Singh. Gotta have KHAAAAAAAAAAN! The crew fights the Augments for control of the Enterprise.
The Devil in the Dark
The Enterprise arrives at Janus VI, where an unknown monster is destroying machinery and killing the miners, threatening the entire mining operation.
Kirk and crew must battle the Horta on a mostly rock map. I'm thinking the Horta will have some sort of Tunneling ability that would allow it to move quickly around a battlefield. Maybe the alternate ending to the episode has the Horta eggs beginning to hatch. If the Enterprise crew can't stop the Horta in time, the entire planet is doomed!
Great start here. The Horta one and the Gorn one could run off the same map, essentially. The Khan one would be simple enough...

I think we should go ahead and work on the TNG maps as well. My initial ideas --

As the Borg were the main antagonist for the TNG crew, we ought to have one or two maps from which we could make several Borg scenarios -- Lore and his Borg, the Borg Drones, Borg Queen(?), one with Locutus and Hugh, etc. One good map can be a great platform from which several scenarios can be played. I like this because we could have Objective missions (rescue Locutus/deactivate Lore) as well as Deathmatch and hold position.

I'll look back through and think of some more later ...

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker
Re: Trekscape: Away Team Missions [BRAINSTORM PHASE!]

Just a thought but I could make up halways and doors and such to print out with a senerio. I am looking at the Furtua shuttle now I think if it is close to 4 inches it would be to scale.

Or these could be scaled down and made simpler.

http://www.haenssgen.de/uni/trek/stmodels.html

Or the bridge in collor 1:50th scale

http://jleslie48.com/stbb/rel.html

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:19 AM

Jdet is surprisingly tart

What if you did a "Trouble with Tribbles" scenario, that way it could be doubled up for the DS9 episode where Sisko & co. go back.

Jdet is a MacDirk Warrior...
in the Garden of Horror...
Old July 16th, 2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felindar View Post
Just a thought but I could make up halways and doors and such to print out with a senerio. I am looking at the Furtua shuttle now I think if it is close to 4 inches it would be to scale.

Nice find Felindar! I bet we could mod the bridge to work like AliasQtip's factory walls and windows.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felindar View Post

Nice find Felindar! I bet we could mod the bridge to work like AliasQtip's factory walls and windows.
Yes, thank you for the links. I do have a concern, though. Is this going to be Paperscape? There are plenty of scenarios we could do off the bridge. I thought it would be like C3G where everyone (with the mats) could make the maps, etc, and we would use all HS terrain (?)

I'd like to keep brainstorming TOS and TNG a bit before we get a final list for maps/scenarios.

DUNESCAPE

The spice must flow!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum