Notices

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by theats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Sonlen specilizes in moving to wherever, and raining hell when need to be after he gets into posistion beside the rest of your army. Thorgrim and Finn together with Sonlen only give you 180 points left, allowing your opponent to quickly bust through whatever defense you have for Sonlen besides 4x Rats, and kill him quickly even WITH Finn and Thorgrim's help.
an automatic heal attempt, four defense, dragon fire speacial atack, AND a range six attack of five would reassure me. I was assuminbg that fin and thorgrim died in the battle, and were on him.
you do know, that you can't put Finns spirit on him, because he DOES NOT have a range of 1.

That's right, Finn can only boost characters with a range of 1. Did I mention the range? Last time I checked. Solen was a range that was 5X's more than 1.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I got your favorite member right here

Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker Fezzikthedoor knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwojedi
Quote:
Quote:
Sonlen specilizes in moving to wherever, and raining hell when need to be after he gets into posistion beside the rest of your army. Thorgrim and Finn together with Sonlen only give you 180 points left, allowing your opponent to quickly bust through whatever defense you have for Sonlen besides 4x Rats, and kill him quickly even WITH Finn and Thorgrim's help.
an automatic heal attempt, four defense, dragon fire speacial atack, AND a range six attack of five would reassure me. I was assuminbg that fin and thorgrim died in the battle, and were on him.
you do know, that you can't put Finns spirit on him, because he DOES NOT have a range of 1.

That's right, Finn can only boost characters with a range of 1. Did I mention the range? Last time I checked. Solen was a range that was 5X's more than 1.
Heyya Nwo. Don't take this personally, I've just never gotten to use this smiley before.

You're confusing his Attack Aura with his Warrior Spirit. The latter can be placed on any unique army card, regardless of its range.

You are the brute squad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh finally
And go Flock yourself.
Old September 20th, 2007, 11:17 AM
has been BANNED

Ullar rocks 4553 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
What's nice about SONLEN is that he benefits from the Oak of the Home Tree Aura, have you seen Sonlen live for three deaths, and heal off Alcorlarh at least 7 times!
Old September 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
Sonlen - Elven awe

Lightening bolts or not, just tried him out last night and WHOA! I was concerned about his cost at first like a lot of folks, but this guy just astounded me! It was mostly a question of lucky rolls but the Ullar side had been utterly decimated leaving Sonlen by himself against Kaemon Awa, Shiori, and Empress Kiova none of whom were damaged. Between healing at least 5 or 6 times and swooping about 4 times plus his regular attacks from height he took all of them out!

More luck than I can expect next time but golly-gee-willikers, Beaver! He think he's just swell!

Q10 couldn't get past the Eniar Emperium, though even in spite of that fact I was impressed with him as well (no surprise there though).

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old September 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehammer
:Waves truce flag at Fourshadow:

I'm a gamer first, hater second. We both got a jab in. Let's shake.

Also, I like your Duke quote.

Back on topic, just got Sonlen... playing him tonight or tommorow. Will let you know how that goes.
No problem, Boozehammer. And thanks, I rather like The Duke (what's sad is some won't even know who we are talking about).

I played Sonlen again Friday night with a mostly Ullar army. Aubrien Archers didn't do much for me, Venocs helped take out Braxas (along with Nilfheim, about the only non-Ullar in 800 points), EOVs were awesome, DED actually was a sharpshooter but Sonlen really impressed me again.
I took him up against Laglor (who was 20 levels up! ) and scored a Dragon Swoop and then 2 hits with Sonlen's 4 Attack dice! But, my opponent got wise and used Laglor's normal attack (6 dice!!!) and rolled 5 skulls! I rolled NO shields=5 hits! So, I retreated behind a glacier and was able to heal a couple of times. Meanwhile, the EOV started polishing off the rest of his army ('Nators, KMAs, MWs). The Krav had hit Sonlen once more, so he had 4 wounds near the close of our game. Sonlen was the only one with any chance of knocking out Laglor (3 hits already), so I gambled--but was unable to get close enough to Dragon Swoop. BUT, I rolled FOUR skulls out of 4 and my opponent rolled only ONE shield out of 6! Bye-bye Laglor!

Me likey Sonlen! Now, bring on those Elven wizards in Wave 8! I WANT THEM NOW, Hasbro!

"There's right and there's wrong: you do one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're as dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne in The Alamo
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
If you really want to get picky about his Dragon percentages...

Each ability has a 30% chance of succeeding. You can also think of each as having a 70% chance of failure. Assuming that you get to use both abilities in any given turn:

Sonlen has a 49% chance of both abilities failing.

Sonlen has a 21% chance of a Dragon Healing success coupled with a Dragon Swoop failure.

Similarly, Sonlen has a 21% chance of a Dragon Healing failure coupled with a Dragon Swoop success.

Sonlen has a 9% chance of both Dragon Healing and Dragon Swoop succeeding.

Sonlen has a 51% chance of at least one of his special dragon abilities succeeding.

Sonlen has a 91% chance of at least one of his special dragon abilities failing.

Discuss, but don't argue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik

Each ability has a 30% chance of succeeding. You can also think of each as having a 70% chance of failure. Assuming that you get to use both abilities in any given turn:

Sonlen has a 21% chance of a Dragon Healing success coupled with a Dragon Swoop failure.

Similarly, Sonlen has a 21% chance of a Dragon Healing failure coupled with a Dragon Swoop success.

Sonlen has a 51% chance of at least one of his special dragon abilities succeeding.

Sonlen has a 91% chance of at least one of his special dragon abilities failing.

Yes, he gets to use both abilities in one turn. But holy, are those some high failure rates!

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, he gets to use both abilities in one turn. But holy, are those some high failure rates!
Come on Bloody, the glass is half full man!

With a 51% chance of giving or taking away a wound, Sonlen has a power very similar to the Ullar Enhanced Rifle of Deadeye Dan. Unlike Deadeye Dan, there are very few restrictions on whom this ability can be used, and he still gets his normal attack, which is 6 range and 4 dice.

I like Sonlen. Sonlen's no Q9; but he's not supposed to replace him.

I'll also point out that like Braxas' special, you can use Dragon Swoop to attack anything within range, even if Sonlen is engaged to someone else. What a love triangle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
I like Sonlen for healing my Q9 and Q10 and for facing off against deathwalkers. Even if he doesn't kill them he'll scare the crap out of them.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:13 PM

Oyhedwig has disabled reputation
Sonlen is my favorite piece in the game. No doubt about it. Jexik's post confirmed this for me. And I'm the optimist with Jexik on this one. The glass is indeed half full. I've used him on every team I have drafted since purchasing Swarm of the Marro. I usually always heal or destroy something worthwhile when I use him. Fantastic figure and abilities. Really pumps me up for the coming elves.

Just noticed my signature again. Strange. One reason I love Sonlen is for healing but loathe Kelda for the same thing.

My Deathwalkers climb.
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:20 PM

theats has disabled reputation
[quote="Bloody the Marro Stinger"]
Quote:

How can you have a 51% chance of success of at least one, and a 91% chance of failure if at least one?

I'm only in algebra two, but doesn't :
51 + 91 = 142%?

Am I missing something here?

Theophilus.
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:46 PM

ASmiles Woo who?
Quote:
Quote:

How can you have a 51% chance of success of at least one, and a 91% chance of failure if at least one?

I'm only in algebra two, but doesn't :
51 + 91 = 142%?

Am I missing something here?
9% (2 Succeed) + 21% (1+1) + 21% (opposite 1+1) + 49% (2 Fail) = 100%

At least 1 Succeed = 9 + 21 + 21 = 51%
At least 1 Fail = 21 + 21 + 49 = 91%

They don't sum to 100% because the 1 succeed and 1 fail cases appear in both numbers.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Record in Beantown Beatdown Tournaments 15-1-1

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units