Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old September 26th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
Re: Zelrig - what's your army idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Some truly regal ideas displayed here ,
I'm a bit surprised I didn't see this one:

But who's gonna rescue the damsel?
Zelrig 185
Sir Gilbert 105
3xKnights of Weston 210

Zelrig pretty easily handles any of the units that tend to give trouble to the KoW while the KoW offer superior battlefield control.

~Aldin, reviewingly
I came up with a very similar army Aldin (in function at least), and better yet, it utilizes the strategy that game me my Title

Blastatrons x2 - 120
Gladiatrons x2 - 280
Marcu - 300
Zelrig - 485
Isamu - 495

Zelrig can easily dispatch any of the ranged common squads that give the Glads/Blasts trouble.
The Glads/Blasts, Marcu, and Isamu work map control and hero killing while Marcu is kept "in Check" by the Gladiatrons Cyberclaw.

I've used this army a total of 3 times with devastating results.

I also find it funny that I solved the range problem that Jedilou mentioned earlier...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilou View Post
A bit more range might be nice but you can't have it all, right?

My only other concern is that mid-battle, when the knights have lots of enemy units tied up, it may be hard to use Majestic Fires to great effect.

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old September 26th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I played 4x Marro Stingers, Raelin, and Zelrig at a tournament recently and went 4-1. I think it's a good mix because Stingers are great against heroes to shore up Zelrig's weakness, and then Raelin probably works better than Deathreavers with Zelrig. I would often send Zelrig out with 1,2,X in the first round, and put my 3 on Raelin. If Zelrig survived, he'd have 6 defense and had drawn a lot of attention. If he dies early, Raelin's already set up for the Stingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Double post! Separated by several months...

Recent talk in Oyhedwig's Nilfheim/Zelrig thread got me thinking about Zelrig again. I think Zelrig has a lot of potential as long as you prepare adequately for Vydar Ranged or other unique-heavy armies. At 500 points, I started pondering these two builds:

Burn and Stomp
Zelrig 185
Tor-Kul-Na 405
3x Nagrubs 495

A little light on figures, but I could see TKN being a real mid to late game beast on certain maps, especially if Zelrig does his job.

Who says Zelrig is bad for Orcs?
3x Arrow Gruts 120
3x Swog Rider 195
Krug 315
Zelrig 500

I haven't tested this one yet, but I intend to pretty soon. Games with it ought to be fast, win or lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old February 15th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The first one is a bit risky for a tourney, but looks like a lot of fun for normal play. The second looks pretty stable IMO.
Old February 20th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealot View Post

Blastatrons x2 - 120
Gladiatrons x2 - 280
Marcu - 300
Zelrig - 485
Isamu - 495

Zelrig can easily dispatch any of the ranged common squads that give the Glads/Blasts trouble.
The Glads/Blasts, Marcu, and Isamu work map control and hero killing while Marcu is kept "in Check" by the Gladiatrons Cyberclaw.

I've used this army a total of 3 times with devastating results.

I can't believe I forgot to add this to this thread but the Zelrig army I have listed here, after playing it several more times for practice since the original post, is what I used for National Heroscape Day 2008 (The Florida Frenzy 2) and I came in 1st place, beating 2 A+ armies for my Semi-final and Final matches.

Semi-final...
-Major Q9
-Raelin ROTV
-Deathreavers x2
-10th Regiment of Foot x2

Final...
-Major Q9
-Major Q10
-Raelin ROTV
-Deathreavers x2

Here is the link to the Tournament battle report I wrote...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...480#post694480

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?

Last edited by Zealot; February 20th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old July 15th, 2009, 01:45 AM

Vivaldi is surprisingly tart

Time to resurrect old threads because I'm bored...

--The Core--

Charos- 210 pts
Zelrig- 185 pts

Cost- 395 pts

500 point armies

Raelin- 80 pts
Isamu- 10 pts
Otonashi- 10 pts
or
KMA- 100 pts
or
EOV- 100 pts
or
Deathreavers 2x 80 pts
Isamu- 10 pts
Otonashi- 10 pts
or
Brave Arrow- 50 pts
Deathreavers- 40 pts (sub Theracus if you want something similar to FaT bomb)
Isamu- 10 pts

Final- 495 pts

I won't go into higher point values, but this army idea is based around using your own figures as a bridge for Zelrig's majestic fire to link spaced out units. Charos is the main event here. He's big, mean and draws all sorts of attention (away from the softer Zelrig). With 5 defense dice he should shrug most of the fireballs off, while anything swarming him will be melted.

Most of the filler options have some sort of defensive skill that makes them resilient to the majestic fires attack, so they can be used as beacons for the flame as well. All except the Deathreavers are unique, but who ever cried over a few dead Deathreavers.

It's easy to space your squad members 1 away from each other, but nearly impossible to space 2 away from each other. Overall the major weakness will likely be ranged unique armies, and big hitters.
Old March 30th, 2011, 05:18 PM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't think that I've seen this posted elsewhere, but Zelrig should work well with the HSB. Zelrig kills squads and the HSB take care of heroes. Also, while Zelrig doesn't really need Raelin, neither do the HSB.

185 Zelrig
150 HSB x 2
150 Goblins x 3
10 Isamu
495 21 hexes

185 Zelrig
225 HSB x 3
80 Deathreavers x 2
10 Isamu
500 20 hexes
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:40 PM
Christmas Custom Contest Champion

sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby! sixthflagbearer rolls all skulls baby!

Just for fun:

Red Dragons
Zelrig-185
Mimring-150
Moltenclaw-170

505, 5 hexes

Or:
FIRE!
Zelrig-185
Red Wyrmling x10

485, 12 hexes (you can add or subtract wyrmlings to get whatever point total you need)

2 time winner of the Gencon Team Tournament
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
Special Attacks are severely modified by death.
Trade Thread Selling most of my collection!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion