Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 1st, 2009, 01:27 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Vancouver WA Tournament Jan 24th 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom View Post
Oh, and it would be 7x 10th foot... but that would take 28 starting zone spaces, so they'd be greatly disadvantaged in a standard 25-hex format.
Considering that at least one matchup at this last one had a grant total of 8x 10th foot on the board... yikes. It had me seeing red [/bad pun]
Just switch to 10th Foot x5 and Q10: 525/22. Yay!
Yikes! Good call. You could also go with Venom instead of Q10, but that would mess with the whole nice 4 attacks of 2 per turn thing.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:54 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

There's a good discussion of mixed marvel tournament points and starting spaces here:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=23351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I browsed that thread a little. Rant follows.

When I go to a tournament, I want to play against strong units, compiled into strong armies, directed by strong players. Unit limitations, especially limitations that hurt the most feared units, eliminate my motive for tourney participation. This idea of playing on 10 or 12 starting spaces disables a long list of common squads. A win in such a tournament would feel hollow, completely hollow.

This tournament we just completed was a 600/30 meet with all classic units allowed. Nadom did great with Elf Wizards. His army fit into 12 start spaces. Bahde had a good meet with a unique-squad-laden force that also fit into 12 spaces. Those were quality wins because people came to that tournament with three to five squads of good commons. If that had been a 600/12 tournament, would anyone take it as a loud statement that Elf Wizards are underrated? I know I sure wouldn't.

What's the point of winning a tournament where the best commons are hard or impossible to field? You render a win meaningless. I go to tournaments to find the biggest and baddest threats, not to duck them!

Rant ends.

Last edited by rdhight; February 4th, 2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: accidental rhyme
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker

The diversity of armies at an event - and the new face to play against - are the reason for having the events.

I have used Unique heavy in each event Ive been in so far...and this time I am considering strongly options that bring more commons to my fold. (But it will be such a change of mindset for me. lol) A rebellion against the Marvel units available, Im forgoing perhaps all Uniques in favor of all Commons.

I want our events to have a different twist of some sort each time, nothing MAJOR but something to keep it interesting. (500/24, 600/30 points and now Marvel....)

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Ross on this....such a restriction to starting zones greatly reduces the options and minimizes the enjoyment (for too many people at least.)
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

I'd have to agree again, there. I actually think Marvel works best if you don't try too hard to work them in (with vastly expanded point totals, Marvel-specific maps, or decreased starting zones) and just simply permit them to be drafted in a normal game. When you do that, it quickly becomes apparent that the Marvel units can fit in the "normal" game without having to bust them in with a metaphorical crowbar.
Old February 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I agree with you all too. I wsa just hoping we could get some ideas on what kind of point toals and how many spaces we'd like to use for the next tourney.

Myself, I'd like to try 750 points/30 spaces.

Then we'd could see some big squad armies but also some multiple marvel hero armies too.

Quote:
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:29 PM

I dont know if 30 would be enough spaces for a big common squad army of 750 - 750 begs for someone to bring something along the lines of 10th Foot x10. Based on the past event, we added 20% to our previous point total (500) and 20% to our previous starting zone size (roughly) and would be better suited to make the starting zones for 750 to be more along the lines of 36 or 40. On that note, I think the 30 worked better than the option of 27 would have...even though I could have been happy with only 12 spaces. lol

I like BIG armies, 750 would be fun - but lets do this 525 MMA first....and save the BIG brawl for this summer. (750 makes me love some of my uniques even more!)

Ideas to consider: BIG (750?) armies, small armies (250?), teams, minimal requirements.

Quozl, bring some ideas Sunday.....we can brainstorm some.
Old February 4th, 2009, 05:07 PM

So, wait, is that an 'official' ruling of 525? I haven't played Marvel in a while, so I need all the army-building time I can get.
Also, any way we could push it to 530? Not that I have an idea or anything for that much...
Old February 4th, 2009, 07:12 PM

2xHero knows what's in an order marker 2xHero knows what's in an order marker

Hmm...I don't have Marvel so I'm not sure what to expect. The characters look very powerful, but still balanced by high point cost.

---

Anyway, I kind of like 525 points. I already came up with a bunch of armies.

3x Minions 330
AND
Cyprien + Sonya 525/11
OR
Wo-Sa-Ga + 2x Nagrubs 525/17

I'm not really a huge minion fan, but these look kind of fun.

Krav Maga 100
Raelin 180
Laglor 290 (it gets different from here)
Gurei Oni 390
Wo-Sa-Ga 525/9

I have thought about the first 390 points as an army for a while and Wo-Sa-Ga made it 525.

Jotun 225
3x Microcorp 325/11

Simple enough. I don't actually have 3x Microcorp, but I could borrow some easily enough.

3x Wolves of Badru 240
Zelrig 425/11

I'm not quite sure what to do with the last 100 points. I like Syvarris, but part of me wants to be bold and try Major X17 or even Deathwalker 7k... I really want to try this one out, though. Zelrig causes squads to spread, which makes them easier to pounce.

6x Venoc Vipers 240
Elite Onyx Vipers 340
Venoc Warlord 460
Armoc Vipers 525/25

Heh heh...vipers...But if there is only 25 starting spaces, Armocs can be swapped for Johnny Shotgun Sullivan. But I don't have enough vipers anyway...

---

I think team matched would be a blast to try sometime. Set teams decided at the tournament, or continuous random teams. I don't know how hard it would be to manage this though.

Huge battles I am a little more hesitant for. They are a lot of fun, but they take much longer, and really stretch out our collection.
Old February 4th, 2009, 08:48 PM

I'd like to try a worst army tournament sometime. Bring the worst army you can (within the restrictions) and then switch armies with your opponent.

Quote:
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:47 AM

I like that - We have done that at my house before, "draft" the opponents army.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

525 points? Hm...

Venom 150
Sujoah 335
Fyorlag Spiders x4 495
Marcu? 515

Could really use another 10 points so I could squeeze in one more squad of Spiders instead of Marcu

That would just be a really funny army to bring. :P

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events